1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinite, Apr 25, 2023.

1. austinite

austinite Contributing Member

What is the boards collective opinion? If we redid the draft would Ivey be the better option? Not a troll honest question. I’ve been on this site since the Barkley, Pippen days just don’t post very often. I lean towards bust so far but plenty of years left to prove this take wrong.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m still picking Jabari. He’s going to fill out and be a DPOY candidate. Once he improves his handle a bit, his offensive skill set will take off.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where is the 1000 page thread?

Deserved Its Own Thread.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Jabari Smith will thrive under Udoka and will become a star.

AKVerse47, Boii, red5rocket and 7 others like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

I think Ima will utilise every defensive skill he has to its maximum. I think he can turn him into a defensive player of the year candidate

Believe It! likes this.
  6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You need 2 to 3 years before you can tell especially when these kids are coming out at 19. Add to the fact that Jabari plays a big man position which I think takes longer to have your body grow into

7. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I'd still draft Bari at 3, of course.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I can honestly say, through the ups and downs of the season, even with his crap shot and crap d and crap handles, I came out of the season convinced Jabari is going to be a really good player in this league. It’s his size ability and most of all, his mentality. This guy is just gonna outwork everyone and his motor is gonna be permanently jacked up. He’s going to be a complete 2-way player with size. The only player I would consider drafting over him past #3 is Shaden Sharpe.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Watching him defend Giannis told me most of what I needed to know and towards the end of the year when his shot finally fell regularly, you could see his future impact on his team. This guy will be just fine. His game winner will replicate and evolve into future winning shots.

highpost1388, Boii, Aruba77 and 9 others like this.
  10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Still Bari.

albuster and Believe It! like this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'd still pick Jabari over Ivey because I think finding a player with Jabari's "particular set of skills" are more rare . . . . And deadly.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Jabari over Ivey

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i’d go for ivey just so we can be rid of kjp

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'm an Ivey fan, but I would no doubt still go with Bari. In 2 or 3 yrs, as his game and frame continues to grow, he's going to be a beast on both ends of the floor. Udoka is going to bring out the monster in him.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m still on Jabari Isle for sure. I just think the tools he brings to the table are hard to come by and he’ll have value always. He couldn’t have shot the ball worse but still had attributes to be valuable most nights even as a rookie. Is he going to be a superstar… ehh.. probably not but I definitely think he’ll be getting near max contracts as one of the more sought after players in the league.

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If we could go back and do it again, I'd still have picked Jabari.

The potential is just too high.

I can't see him shooting that far below league average again, he was a good shooter coming in.

I expect he'll be much improved next season and we'll put this crap behind us.

don grahamleone and albuster like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is gonna be very good.

DD

don grahamleone and albuster like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Generally I don't count teenage years, no one but Lebron James has done anything important as a teen. That's especially true for skinny teenagers. I'll judge his next season as though it's his first season and I'll treat last season like it was an intensive training camp and practice games.

His scouting reports were the least accurate I've ever seen for a top pick. It's making me realize these text and video scouting reports are just making sh*t up sometimes. What we received was a guy who had no offensive skills whatsoever except shooting over shorter people. He was not even prepared for the mentality of consistently draining open shots. Didn't know how to pass. Didn't know how to drive, finish. They should have reported him as a player whose going to be a great defender quite soon but has nothing to go to if teams put a hand in his face. They should have reported him as a player who needs his whole offensive repertoire built from scratch. When you look at it that way instead of being mad about what you didn't know, then you see that his offense developed a LOT over the season.

I think he's going to like being coached by Ime. I think he's going to like that the coach calls out bad defenders more than he does. I think he's going to have a stellar season both defensively and a big improvement in scoring.

I'm expecting him to flirt with All NBA defensive 2nd team and 37% shooting from 3pt land while being one of the most switchable big men in the NBA.

Kevooooo likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a relief :D

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He needs to bulk up and get a real coach. We got the coach.

He now needs a real point guard.

Dredd likes this.