1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: 2022's version of Scottie Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Smith ended up scoring at a more efficient clip than Banchero so I'd say Banchero had more trouble scoring than him.

Smith doesnt have an unstoppable post game like Shaq but he does have an elite 3 pt shot as one of the best shooters in his class. Its not at the level of Shaq but its similar in the way he doesnt need a dribble game to be effective since you dont take many dribbles on shooting 3s.

In terms of improvement Smith learning to dribble is gonna be a lot easier than Holmgren gaining weight or Banchero shooting 3s imo.

2. dmoneybangbang

In regards 2pt %, out of the top 5 draft picks of the last 10 years, Jabari Smith is dead last in 2pt%. For whatever reason, Jabari doesn't get to the rim or shoot efficiently from 2 point range (which is a lot of the floor).

He certainly kills it from 3pt range, but he's pretty mediocre (at best) in other offensive aspects. It's not just "learning how to dribble" but learning how to create for yourself which isn't an easy skill. I'm not really sure if Jabari becoming a playmaker is less or more likely than Banchero hitting 3s and Chet gaining muscle/mass.

I still have Jabari as 1/2, but his lack of creation and shot making from anywhere but 3pt range is concerning and why he isn't a consensus can't miss prospect.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A very logical look at these guys, I would just say Banchero already shoots the 3 at a rate that you have to guard him while Smith has to create an entire new part of his game.

If you look at his highlights in HS he never showed an off the bounce game.

That is what I found so alarming.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is the requirement for Jabari being a playmaker when it isnt necessary for what he does in the first place? Shooting 3 is necessary for Banchero cuz he is supposed to be a scorer and mid range shot is the worst in bball. Gaining weight is necessary for Chet cuz he is a big man. Jabari is gonna play off the ball most of the time why would he need to be a playmaker?

Just look at Klay Thompson and make him a PF. That's Jabari. Guys who dont have a no 1 prob wont take Klay Thompson cuz they need a no 1. But the Rockets already have a no 1 so a PF version of Klay Thompson would be a great complement to Green.

Look at assisted shots for big men, self creation requirement for them is much lower than you think.

rpr52121 likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

He shoots 3 at the rate of Suggs and we know how that turned out. A lot of his 3s are still 2s in the NBA.

6. dmoneybangbang

It's not a requirement, we are picking apart the top draft picks.

And I would argue being a competent 3 point shooter is easier than being a creator/playmaker. If Jabari is going to be playing off the ball most of the time in his career, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for a number 1 pick.

That would be what you want Jabari to be, but Klay developed in the midst of arguably the best basketball team ever. Jabari won't have that type of developmental luxury.

Which is why wings or bigs who can create, shoot, and defend is the most coveted players.

I'm just saying Jabari isn't some "cant miss number 1 pick".

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is klay thompson not worth a no 1 pick? He has turned out better than majority of no 1 picks who can create. You have the same problem/misconception as Jiggyfly you think playmaking or creation determines who is coveted.

In the Nba today the degree of the skillset is what is important not the skillset itself. What Steph Curry does for example is not unique, he is a shoot first pg who is a good but not exceptional playmaker. But the quality of his shooting is so amazing it makes him a lot better than traditional playmaking pgs like Chris Paul.

It's the same thing for Jabari. Just cuz he will be operating off the ball doesnt mean he doesnt deserve to be a no 1 pick. Its his winning impact that will determine if he deserves to be no 1 pick. Last I checked his 3 pt spacing, defense and all around play contributes to winning than most on ball creators. He doesnt need to be in GSW Klay Thompson would have shined anywhere cuz every team can use a 3nD. Maybe he wont put up as many pts without a good team but he will still contribute to winning nonetheless. Hell didnt the Rox trade Capela just to get Robert Covington? Covington is like a 12 ppg scorer that shows how much value s good 3nD provides you csn give up a 16 and 10 big man.

Sure being a creator is harder than being a 3 pt shooter. But lots of 3 pt shooters and big men became stars while not being the best creators guys like Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudamire, Ray Allen, Klay Thompson, Rashard Lewis etc How many non centers turned into good players without a working 3 pt shot in today's NBA?

Even if you are picking candidates apart, for Banchero getting a 3 pt shot is a requirement and for Chet gaining weight is a requirement. Banchero gonna be Rudy Gay if he cant shoot 3s and Chet gonna get owned in the paint if he doesnt gain weight. What about playmaking for Jabari? Thats not a requirement thats just a bonus cuz he got where he is with no playmaking.

#287 roslolian, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  8. dmoneybangbang

Thompson number 1 in some drafts? Maybe, but not over Kyrie who went 1st in the 2011 NBA draft or over Kawhi. I think Klay is overrated (but still great) and benefits greatly from the GSW ecosystem. Remove Klay from GSW and is he still such an elite 3&D player? I don't know, but playing the hindsight game isn't something I'm really interested in. Steph uses his handle and shooting to be one of the GOATs while Jabari will most likely never have the same type of handle as Steph. Will Jabari even have the handles and playmaking of an average guard? That's not known, but Jabari is a hard worker.

I think playmaking is a very coveted skill, but not the only or most important skill. Frankly Chet is more well rounded in terms of playmaking, shooting, and defense but his frame carries significant questions. Kessler was the defensive anchor of Auburn, not Jabari.

Either Chet or Jabari are my number ones with Paolo right behind them.

9. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

7 months ago !!!

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!!

10. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Yes he is !!!!

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What are the odds of specifically saying #3 to Hou with Chet and Holmgren going before him over half a year ago turning out to be exactly true

Nutty ****, a couple of hundred years ago we'd hang you for witchery for something like this.

[​IMG]

Williamson, B-Bob, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I wish he was Scottie Barnes :(

ThatBoyNick and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd take Matt Barnes production at this point lol

whag00 likes this.
  14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

His defence was awesome yesterday

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I'd take Smith. Far better upside i reckon, especially defensively.

Rookie years can worp people's minds that they think they will be a superstar forever. Look at the crazy hype that Michael Carter-Williams got after his rookie season, he never got any better.

i think Barnes is peaking at the moment and in the right system for him.