1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: 2022's version of Scottie Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He will be in a rockets uni soon enough.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Watching videos like this makes me wonder why people question his handle so much. For a 6’10’’ guy he seems to handle the ball just fine on the perimeter and driving to the hoop.

D-rock likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

To me he's the 1st pick overall

Fulgore and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Small nitpick.

I am not a big fan of the "for a 6'10" guy" type of disclaimer. If a player is going to have the ball and play like an on-ball guard or a wing, he needs to be able to handle like a guard or a wing, and not "for a 6'10" guy".

That said, I've seen nothing from him that indicates he won't be able to either hit threes against passive closeouts or attack aggressive closeouts with a couple of dribbles and still hit a jumper. If he develops a better handle, he will be a Top 15 player in the NBA, but is still likely going to be very good just the way he is.

Milos, Denovo, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not wasting dribbles?

LOL I guess that's one way to look at it or that he does not dribble more than 2 times.

Anybody that have watched has seen him give the ball up a ton when that team has needed him to score.

This wasted dribble stuff in nonsense, he has no dribble game, show me 3 a high lite where he has dribbled more than 3 consecutive times.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Name the all NBA comp or all star comp for a wing to have so little handle?

If all you are looking for is a 3 and D no it does not matter that much, but with this much talent at the top of this draft it should matter a lot.

8. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

I did not know that ballhandling could not be developed after the draft.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

The intangibles are part of the reason I was on team Green, and he proved me right. He started sucking at the start of the season but he put his head down snd started working hard with John Lucas, now look at him.

Rox should always go for the high character guys thats why Smith and Chet are my top 2 picks for the Rox.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He aint a wing he is a PF. Wings play sf and sg thats why they are called wings.

He can do more than just 3nD, and his 3nD is already at an elite level thats why he never falls below top 3.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He reminds me of Jayson Tatum and he has room to improve man. I agree his attack out of the triple threat position needs work. But Look how much Green improved in just half of a season. It can be done. There are no finished products out there.

#272 TEXNIFICENT, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Tatum had a much more advanced dribble and face up game.

There is a reason he has not cemented himself as the #1 people are not talking a lot about his dribble game, but they are thinking about it.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Really? Tatum was no where near as good as he is now. He improved when he got in the league.

roslolian and clutchdabear like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I said being able to dribble, that's what separates them, Tatum has a much more advanced face up game and being able to drive to the basket.

16. dmoneybangbang

I agree that Tatum had a much more advanced overall offensive game in the draft, but there may not be a Tatum level player in this draft. Or at least I think Tatum is playing like a top 10 player this season with the scoring, defense, and playmaking ability at a premium position.

jiggyfly and Milos like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

And Jabari is 2 inches taller and is a better shooter than rookie Tatum.

You are getting way too hung up on creation man. Lots of stars do their damage off the ball esp big men like Jabari. You act like everybody is a guard and needs to handle the rock 24/7. If you look at ROY front runner Mobley he gets the table set for him 65% of the time on 2s and 95% of the time on 3s. And he is considered by many to be the top of this draft class.

Jabari is a spacer that 95% ast shot on 3s is gonna be his main weapon on offense. He could take like 8 3 pt attempts a game nobody gives a **** about his dribble game then.

I dont get your requirement like people are gonna cry if Jabari doesnt have an advanced dribble game. If shaq was in this draft would you be talking about his dribble game? Makes zero sense you keep harping on dribble game for a big man who isnt a point forward to brgin with. The ball handling duties will go to the pg and Green not Jabari.

#277 roslolian, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what any of this has to do with what I have said, you act like i think Smith is going to be a scrub.

Why don't you actually go back and read what I think of Smith, the only reason i talk about his lack of dribble is in comparison to other guys at the top of this draft.

Did you really bring Shaq into this conversation as if he had anything to do with the conversation?

If Smith was 7'1 325 with an unstoppable post game yeah it would not matter, but he is a guy who had trouble scoring at the rim in college so him being able to dribble at a advanced level is kinda pertinent.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Exactly - and this is what stops Smith being consensus #1.

I do like ex-players kids who work hard. They tend to pan out in the NBA- especially the ones who can shoot!
    Dribbling is certainly a teachable skill, far easier to learn than a wet shooting touch. I think of Jalen Green improving his handle over the course of this season. It seemed like the coaching staff broke his game down to simplify the thought patterns and give him fewer moves in his bag and then started to add more in.
    Perhaps they could work on Jabari's dribbling? Keep his game simple to start, all off the ball stuff. Worst case he is going to be a solid 6'10 PF who can switch on the perimeter!
    I don't see a viable alternative to Chet, in my opinion those 2 and a step above.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Keegan Murray is better overall. Smith is a better shooter but trust me Keegan Murray is the truth and a sleeper in this draft.