1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith and Jalen Duren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VoR, Apr 17, 2022.

1. VoR

VoR Member

That's my dream draft. Sure it would be nice to pick up a PG, but Jean Montero hasn't really asserted his place in the first round. I still like the idea of bringing in Rubio or keeping Schroeder as a mentor for our young guards.

We still have the option of trading Wood and Gordon at the draft to make things interesting.

Rotations would be

Tate/Garuba
    Sengun/Duren
    Porter/Rubio
    Green/Mathews
    KMJ/Smith

The only factor I see not working is that this staff seems to prefer stretch bigs, but we really need a stretch big that has meat on his bones if we are going to be worth a hoot defensively. I like Duren for the pure 20/20 potential for a presence on the glass. Sengun can transition between C and PF in a game. KMJ becomes a potential trade piece if his defense doesn't continue to improve. I think Tate and Garuba are not going anywhere simply because the team lacks defensive leaders without them on the roster. With our depth at PF and C, this really gives Duren the space to develop at a healthy pace.

I don't like Mark Williams. I don't like Walker Kessler. I do like Christian Koloko if we end up getting a pick down low in the first or early in the second for a trade. I also like that Duren and Koloko are not redundant to Sengun and KMJ's skill sets. They become instant defense with massive presences on the boards while Green/KPJ/Smith become the focus of our offense.

I do dream of having a backup PG like Tyus Jones in the rotation eventually, but we will have to be patient for a player like this to come around. Kennedy Chandler might be that guy, but I'm sure a lot of teams have him circled on their draft because of the lack of depth at PG. Besides, for now, we need a vet as our backup PG, because we want KPJ to feel like the position is his.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I feel like Duren is more likely to jump, than drop.

roslolian likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You have Jabari coming off the bench?

roslolian, Denovo and i3artow i3aller like this.
  4. VoR

VoR Member

Yes. Respect for KMJ and give Smith the first half of the season to adjust to the speed of the NBA. Seems consistent with our culture.

5. Denovo

Denovo Member

Jabari won’t come off the bench for the same reason Jalen Green didn’t.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Respect for KMJ? Man stop. Better players than him have been traded or even cut to make room for a top pick.

jiggyfly, roslolian, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Not drafting a guy #1 to come off the bench on a 20 win team. He’s definitely starting

Deckard, jiggyfly, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  8. VoR

VoR Member

I'm not saying it will last forever. First few months of the season. Like I said, it seems consistent with our culture.

9. Denovo

Denovo Member

That isn’t “consistent with our culture”. Jalen Green started from day 1. Whoever we take in the Top 5 again this year will do the same.

roslolian, D-rock and Fulgore like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

Yet Sengun didn't start until late in the season. It all depends on who is in front of the other player and who they are comfortable starting as far as knowledge of the system is concerned. EGor probably told the staff that he likes life in the sixth man position. Maybe KMJ will also say that he likes coming off the bench, but I doubt it.

They rolled out a 3 guard starting 5 to end the season, so it is hard to tell. I could just see them starting Smith on the bench starting the season. Really depends on how they approach 2023 season in regards to win/loss and progression. I see the Rockets winning 35-40 games next season and KMJ having a lot more on his plate. Unless Smith just looks ready to ball out.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Segun wasn’t a top 3 pick. There is 0% chance Jabari comes off the bench

D-rock likes this.
  12. Denovo

Denovo Member

Sengun was pick 16…

The expectations for a top 3 pick and a non lottery pick are completely different. This honestly shouldn’t even need to be explained.

Whoever we draft in the Top 5 this year will start.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

Y'all act like you know everything when you really don't. We'll see how things look after pre-season--if we even select Smith this draft. The whole point of the ****ing post was that these are my top two gets, but I'm glad y'all are so fixated on Smith beginning the season as a starter. I doubt Banchero starts over KMJ if we get him too. I absolutely KNOW that Holmgren will not start. Figure life out, kids. Stop thinking in absolutes. We could pick Holmgren #1 and there's no way in hell that he's a starter. Smith is in no way guaranteed a starting slot. The jump from NCAA to NBA is a much bigger jump than G-League to NBA. If he starts, he starts. Won't hurt my feelings either way. I'd give some kids who have been here for the process a chance to start on opening day just as a nod to loyalty. We owe these 19 year olds nothing other than the salary that they are slotted for.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about lol Jalen Green started day 1 and continued starting even when he was playing horribly.

Whoever we pick no 1-5 will expect to start given the Rox are a 20 win team and we picked that dude 1-5. You'd think he'd be better than KJM otherwise why would the Rox pick him high.

#14 roslolian, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Fulgore likes this.
  15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I just wanted to come login just to tell you to shut the F C U K up stop posting dumb ass ****! Drafting Jabari at #1 just to let him come off the bench? Are you F C U K I N G kidding me! What a dumb ass

Fulgore likes this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You sound like you never watched basketball a day in your life. You’re telling me Kmart will start over Jabari smith a #1 pick in the draft on a 20 win team? Lmao yea ok smh

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Exactly. Whomever the rockets draft will start from day 1. Chet, Jabari, paolo etc

roslolian and jimmyv281 like this.
  18. VoR

VoR Member

You’re a ****ing dumb ass cunt. NBA level, KMJ will outplay Jabari Smith right now. You have no clue how development works.

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

are you f C U K I N G serious ? Please STFU!!! KMJ is a scrub compare to Jabari! Stop posting you dumb ass B1.TCH!!

20. VoR

VoR Member

Imagine a starting rotation of Tate, Wood, KPJ, Green, Smith. That’s too much on ball on the floor with awkward chemistry at first. I just don’t see it. Having him in the second rotation gives him the chance to be on ball more, where he can operate as a 6’ 10” guard in some sets.