1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen to the BENCH

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 26, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's a sad shame Jalen can't grasp the basics of an NBA offense in his 3rd year.

The Rockets are partly to blame for this.

cml750, hajkov, albuster and 3 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is the first time in Jalen's basketball life that he is asked to play a team first game - and play within a structured system and he can't do it.

His skills are to run fast, jump high and beat his man to the cup - that is it.

He is a below average: Dribbler, passer, shooter, and defender, has a low BBall IQ....but he is an elite athlete.

They took a flyer on an elite athlete hoping he can develop - he isn't developing.....or is going painfully slow - the team has moved beyond him quickly with basketball players around him.....

He is holding this team back, he should be benched immediately, I seriously doubt that Ime has total control, Pop would have benched him long ago....

Either start Eason at SF and move Brooks to SG, or start Cam at SG - and let Jalen take some time off....make up an injury work on his confidence and have someone like Lucas show him how to be successful on the court, an in season training camp just for him - but keep it on the down low.....

And if a trade comes up - jettison him....he is YEARS away from being good.

DD

bro2044, vince, mirdirir and 21 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I trust Udoka.

I am going to ask around about the work ethic - but if it was a real problem, Ime would have said so.

Short of a collapse, I think we roll with Green this season. Something is off though.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dude's confidence is shattered .....

groovemachine likes this.
  7. Dredd

Dredd Member

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

Translation: We know Jalen sucks but we don't want to lower his trade value right now.

9. SamsonCorletwo

No, it's just trading him for both good.
    Enough is enough.
    Jalen is talent kids and kind guy,but he met wrong coach at the right time
    Silas and maybe other **** coach teach him how to play high school basketball for ****ing two years
    Unfortunately he finds himself work for NBA team after two years,I dont think he can make it
    It‘s truly sad story
    And Amen is lucky guy,maybe Whitmore,either

10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. I don't think Udoka has total control. From a basketball standpoint, it's obvious he needs to be benched. From a business standpoint, Stone needs Jalen's value as high as possible.

I can see Stone asking Udoka to not bench him yet, and Udoka agreeing to keep him in the starting lineup as long as he can pull him out when he's not playing well.

Udoka's sending a clear message to the front office by benching him in 4th quarters. It's in everyone's best interest to bring him off the bench. He doesn't have good chemistry with Sengun or FVV.

Right now I'd rather see KMJ come back and be SG than to keep seeing Jalen in the starting lineup. I know KMJ isn't a shooting guard but damn I miss the beautiful chemistry Sengun and KMJ had together.

11. SweetCityChamps

SweetCityChamps New Member

It’s incredibly frustrating because what this team REALLY needs with Sengun starting to heat up is a dynamic swing man to make defenses pay for double teaming Alpi. At least Jabari is trying his hardest to be something like that.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He had an AWFUL game tonight, at a time when he really needed to show something after getting benched again to close out the last game. I'm not sure that he can coexist in Udoka's system. The organization did Jalen no favors by allowing him to do whatever the hell he wanted the last couple years, and now everyone is paying for it.

13. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Yeah I think this is the avenue at this point. He isn't a good enough basketball player to be a starter. I think he needs a wake up call ... like mentioned above.

HardenReturns and cml750 like this.
  14. Holybats

Holybats Member

He should start until traded but his minutes would go down.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is practically living on the bench and only starting in name so it does not matter that much.

Who is Jalen Jekyll and Mr. Green.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is Mike Stipe doing these days?

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sadly we have no shooting guard to challenge him for the starting spot

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We actually have tons of players who can log minutes there: Brooks, Tate, Bullock, Cam, Amen, Holiday. No one has really stepped up for the role where producing good volume offense is mandatory.

Players who are not very good penetrating at high volume: Jabari, FVV, Bullock, Brooks, Tate, Tari. Cam and Amen untested.

The team desperately needs someone to make defenses collapse with penetration, would make life so much easier, would move us significantly up the offensive rating ladder (I think we're mid 20's ranked right now). Would also help us improve FVV's efficiency by asking him to penetrate less, his size makes him relatively inefficient in there. Helps lessen Sengun load. Etc.

It would be SO NICE to have a more offensively efficient Jalen Green right now. Keep our defense intact, give the offense a boost. Super frustrating issue.

jim1961 and persian hoopa like this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He misses JGup

Dredd likes this.
  20. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I wonder if there is something personal going on off the court

Dredd likes this.