1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Its time to start austin rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Chamillionaire

The dude can't shoot although he shot well against GS last year. Very streaky. He's our best perimeter defender though.

But definitely outplaying his contract.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. Caprah

Caprah Member

Russ in his worst day is better then Austin on his best day. Remember the 26-16-11 assists type games he was having when he was healthy?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's really not even close to true.

jcmoon and Easy like this.
  4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

grayson allen is better all around than Austin rivers. I'm just saying! I'm said that for quite some time actually!

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

But Harden/Westbrook is also working in the starting lineup as they rack up W’s. Besides Westbrook helps with rebounding which is much needed considering lack of strength in the PF position. I agree Rivers does help but shouldn’t it be best utilized off the bench as it makes our bench stronger and late game situations?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. dejamike

dejamike Member

That’s why us fans aren’t capable of being a GM...... well at least most of us.

7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

1) he always gives 100 percent effort.
    2) until clemons came along, our best perimeter defender over the screen on the pick and roll....always hustiling on defense unless he's really tired, rotating on switches.
    3) usually doesn't try to do more than he can, unless he has to. In other words, he's usually going for the shots he knows he can make...he's been a little been off lately, but he's had to take more riskier shots due to the injuries, and having to try to create something when the play is broken(shot clock going down)
    4) underrated scorer..his stepback and hesitation drive move is very skilled and hard to do. he can drive into that little seam in the defense and has a good first step

look I never said that he was better than Russell Westbrook or that he should play more minutes..i just thought we should try it out because teams were doubling harden and leaving russ wide open from 3, and Austin's defense is generally better. Russ does certain things better on defense... Having said that, Russ played well in the first quarter against the clippers and they weren't doubling harden until he left the game.

I have also suggested in the past that we should start clemons and bring russ off the bench. Both he and Austin are better spot up shooters from the 3.

Why is it such a bad thing to come off the bench? manu did it. Russ did it on team USA. Until the clippers game we were rarely ahead after the first quarter and keep in mind, we were ahead because we were hitting our shots and they were missing a lot of wide open shots, its wasn't because our defense was good, contrary to what people may think.

I am advocating for better team defense and better spot up shooting from that spot basically. And I never said that russ shouldn't be in there in the fourth quarter. i'm just saying minimize that capela-harden-russ trio, but when I made this post, capela was sucking too. Now that capela is balling, its less urgent....he has been making his little jump hooks.

#47 jcmoon, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

I had my doubts when the Rockets signed the son of Doc Rivers last year. Having watched him play though has made me an instant fan.

Rivers attacks the basket aggressively, and in so doing draws defender(s)s on the way. This is what the Rockets need to supplement Harden's game. Rivers takes a lot of pressure off Harden.And he isn't taking too many three point baskets.

Rivers is extremely underrated. As much as I love Eric Gordon on the Rockets, the emergence of Austin Rivers add a dimension to the guard play of the Rockets previously it did not have before Rivers was signed last December.

I believe that more minutes for Austin Rivers potentially means more reasonable sharing of minutes for the guards and frees James Harden to be more creative with his offense.

Austin Rivers will make the Rockets better, as he plays more.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. nemac

nemac Member

yo p, op wants me to come off the bench :D

BaselineFade and jcmoon like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

rockets were thriving last year when eric was out due to injury and rivers had more playing time

11. jcmoon

its worked well at times and other times it has plain sucked....and i'm not blaming it all on russ, i'm referring to the russ-harden-capela trio...Because capela couldn't even hit a baby hookshot early on.....he needs to hit that hookshot when russ drives and dumps....When rivers is wide open he's a better 3 point shooting option...he's definitely a better defender.

note: I did see harden actively giving the ball up to russ against the clippers in the first quarter more and letting him create and it worked.

basically if russ is just going to be an off the ball player camped at the three point line, i'd rather go with rivers or clemons...but they have been working on getting him the ball more with this trio...this has to work!!! russ needs the ball.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps you are onto something but you dont need to be a shooter to space the floor

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s never, ever going to happen. So who cares?

14. jcmoon

he is one of the most underrated players in the entire league! he's better than lou will, better than Beveley, better than a lot of players...he plays both ends of the floor and does all of the little things well...he holds his own even when switched onto a big forward in the paint on defense. he is critical along with tucker guarding the pick and roll and switching...he plays defense without fouling because his feet are quick. He's not flashy but these little things are how you win games.....he was shooting 46 percent from 3 early on.....

without him in there against the clippers, we lose that game easily, they would have destroyed us in the pick and roll.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he should be in the rotation in front of gordon

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I agree. Westbrick sucks.