1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's early, but anyone else skeptical about Harden + CP3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketStan, Oct 20, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are fine. For Now in other words.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'm sure everyone has a little bit of worry in them about fit, but it doesn't concern me greatly. My biggest worry is CP's injury history.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  3. Malaya

Malaya Member

One game ...

His body of work. NBA All-star guard. They will figure it out.

At the least, when Harden sits, our offense will not stagnate.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

1. CP3 is hurt... why is this constantly being ignored.

2. With Harden being a super turnover prone point guard late in crucial playoff games guess who comes in to handle that?

3. CP3 is versatile enough to rack up numbers in various ways (assists, rebounds and steals ect...) and he's not a score first guy that's just worried about his ppg average... it's more about winning games.

4. We just started playing and he's new to the team give him 15 to 20 games before you make your concerns relevant. He's actually only played one game on one leg it takes time to get accustomed to new teammates.

5. Don't underestimate the intelligence of Paul and MDA. These guys understand the game on a entirely different level than hating national media heads who get paid to put false labels on athletes and than when the athlete prove that label to be false by winning games or just elevating their play in a specific area or overall they get salty and defensive just to keep their terrible prediction alive to not look like the idiots they are.

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

If Harden doesn't want to play off the ball, then I hope D'Antoni diminishes Harden's minutes during regular season in favour of CP3 running the offense when Harden sits. This way, Paul will have time to gel with the team and Harden will be rested for playoffs.

kevtse, hakeem94 and pippendagimp like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

anything can happen and that is the beauty of life and basketball, that being said, i am very confident they gonna work and the positive results of their pairing are visible from the very beginning of the season
    i am astonished at cp3 sacrifice he has made
    media are hypocrites...they always preach stars should sacrifice stats for the team but when they do then they are not the perfect fit...

Soneca likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How likely is it that MDA will listen to your good idea? Heck, even play more than 7-8 guys? He should play up to 10 in the regular season.

8. amaru

amaru Member

No

9. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

The only good thing about getting CP3 is the national spotlight that having 2 stars will bring us & hopefully he will resign with us and help lure other big name FA to play for us.

But I honestly think we gave up way to much to get him. Losing Beverly hurts.

10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think we'll see his greatest value come playoff time, when harden is double teamed or locked down by the jonathan simmons of the world. we need paul against the warriors, SA, Cleveland, and thunder who aren't going to just let harden walk up the court and initiate the offense where he likes it. someone else is going to have to play make.

The main question is how long will it take for Paul to learn to catch and shoot well, and how much will he want on his next contract. I'll reserve final judgement until this knee thingy clears up, but it doesn't look like he'll be better than beverley on the defensive side of the ball, who always fought around screens. Yes, i know that he won 1st team all defense last year....interesting, since austin rivers began being the defensive stopper last year and guarded the other teams best offensive player each game... did he win that award based on past performances and on his star-power? i don't know. i have no doubt that paul will learn to catch and shoot, the question is how long it will take him to do it well. i think it would be a mistake to sign him to any more than 25 million a year. he is too short to contest the tall shooters of golden state, and with him, gordon, and harden on the floor are going to have problems on the perimeter in the playoffs. We should have no problem out-scoring a lot of teams during the regular season.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Harden doesn't move without the ball, he just stands at top of key when cp has the ball.

I don't know if thats a coaching problem or hardens problem.

cp3 is good when harden sits.

Still feel like Paul George was better fit now and in the future because Pv age and fit

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Anthony Bourdain has no reservations

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What kind of Stan begins to lose faith after one game?

No Stan. No Stan at all.

(Trust me guys, you don't want to overreact to the first game of the season. Remember the Lakers game?)

Killatron 2000 and DonKnock like this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Where was Bev gonna get minutes with a rotation of Harden, Paul, EG, and Tucker? I miss the guy, but Paul is a massive upgrade over him. Now when CP3 gets back into the lineup at full strength, we'll never have a single minute of the game where there isn't a great playmaker on the floor.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. bigred77

bigred77 Member

I have no reservations... like, non...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  16. Soneca

Soneca Member

Broussard's sauces drippin' all over the GARM

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

MDA played Demetrius and everyone complained

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've got like...non

Cstyle42 likes this.
  19. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Just goes to show you that even an undefeated team won't make all its fans happy.

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’m not really sure what people were expecting. We only run one style of offense. Ball handler, screener, and shooters to spread the floor.

If you have Harden and CP3 on the floor only one will handle the ball and the other will be a shooter. So in that way yes one of the two will not be maximized when both are on the court because one of the two would be relegated to just a shooter.

I don’t think the idea was to maximize both on the court at the same time with both being utilized at 100%. That’s not possible with only one ball. The idea was to always have the ability to run our style of offense 100% of the time on the court. So effectively harden and Paul aren’t taxed to run themselves into the ground all the time and having nothing left in the playoffs.

So will there be time when CP3 or Harden look under utilized and “wasted talent”? Yes. I don’t think they care though. They’ll win games in the regular season because there won’t be a drop off ever in the offense when either sits. And hopefully both will be healthy and strong enough to bring it up a notch in the playoffs.

apollo33 likes this.