1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It won't make the team much better, but Silas should resign

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jan 8, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's pretty much just damaging his own reputation now and hurting his future stock mostly due to factors beyond his control - the Rockets turned the franchise over to a bunch of young doofuses with no leadership and no accountability because... Tank and all. I mean it was defensible at the time but, it's hard to say that I've seen anything to cause me to Trust The Process here.

Anyway, re Silas, quite obviously whatever he is doing is not working. They aren't listening.

I know he has a goal for the team, which is to play the way they did in the first period today.

But they just don't because they don't listen/don't want to. It happens in every sport - players eventually tune out.

The pieces also just don't fit at all. Head honcho doesn't fit with Sengun. Defensively they don't complement each other well. It's a very "let's try to get good value assets" roster - though i doubt the value of some of those assets

Finally either Silas or Stone is too willing to stick with the #1 picks who are both actively hurting the team with distressing frequency now.

I don't expect much improvement this year, but he should move on, for his own sanity and future employment prospects

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It’s hard, because if he doesn’t get to stick with the team when it eventually does improve (even to like a 38-42 play-in spot) then the blame will be squarely on his shoulders, fair or not...in which case his job prospects will be pretty much the Charlotte Bobcats or an assistant spot once again.

Then again, maybe he isn’t cut out to be a HC. I still don’t know why he insists on running KPJ at the point. I think it’s obvious that experiment has not worked. I don’t know why we don’t let Green and Sengun run the PnR more. Hell, I don’t know why we don’t run more of the offense through Alpi.

I have many questions, and so few answers.

Joe Rocket, evo8lover and SamFisher like this.
  3. SamFisher

I agree with what others have said - you need to get rid of Silas to see if they still do the same dumb ****, then you start getting rid of them, because they're the problem.

My guess is that they are the problem and that we overvalue our own players. But we won't know until we change out the coach l.

4. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I blame the head honcho.

And Silas

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJ at point seems to be an organizational decision

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think if his father didn’t just pass away, Rockets would have fired him on Xmas day.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I've been thinking as well. I agree with the OP. Silas needs to just resign.

8. SamFisher

I should also say, i don't know if he gets paid out on his deal if he quits, in which case he should not resign.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

If Silas resigns what is he showing the young players? To quit? Then we will have KPJ requesting a trade like Harden... No, he stays. And he gets better with time as a coach. The players soon follow...

Corrosion likes this.
  10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I see....if that's the case Silas will probably hold on as long as he can until the organization makes a change.

11. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

For future jobs which I'm sure he'll get, he seems very liked, that would be the worst thing to do. You can explain getting fired, quitting not so much.

12. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

If Silas resigns, I doubt he gives two f***s about what it shows the young players. He won’t be here.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol if it won't improve the team at all, then why do it. Problem is the fans expect wins from an inexperienced team. Not like they are 4 years in to a rebuild. It is just their second. stop expecting miracles from second year players

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Austin Rivers said "Someone needs to teach KPJ and Jalen how to play the right way"

That is what we have been saying for more than a year....it ain't smiley Silas....

We need new management.

DD

saleem likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't there rumblings that he likely goes in the offseason and they don't want to jeopardize the lotto pick?

I don't have the patience either but I would live with that.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I must be in the minority in thinking that the majority of the blame is just on the players underperforming.

Jalen and Jabari have been bad. The whole team has been deconstructed to give time and touches to Jalen and give Jabari an easy NBA transition. It's also clear that KPJ at PG is an org decision. So, the coach isn't left with many decisions. I think a more assertive coach would just play the guys who hustle more minutes and eek out more wins but I'm not sure that helps the team much in the long run if our top end talent never gets over the hump.

Regarding Stone, for the most part I think he's done what are considered the textbook decisions. He drafted the guys he was supposed to draft and cleared the roster so they will get all the time they need. His biggest failures are a)offering Oladipo a contract that didn't happen and b) not trading Gordon. I think most other GMs would have taken Jalen and Jabari at those picks, they just haven't performed well up to this point.

At the end of the day, no GM or Coach can make much of this team if Jalen and Jabari end up being busts. Them, along with the 2023 pick hold the keys to this franchise. We go where they take us.

17. SamFisher

Because if I'm Silas and the team isn't listening to me and it's all misery - life is too short.

If I'm Stonetitta and these dopes don't listen to another coach, that's also a useful, if unpleasant, data point

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I am guilty of overvaluing our guys, because for me it's fun to think that we have a bunch of stars in the making. I usually can find at least some positive spin around our guys to make me feel better when the squad makes me miserable (House, Wood, and Nix have been exceptions) but this season went from a promising disaster to just depressing over the Christmas holiday.

I miss the competitive Rockets of early December...

Easy, SamFisher and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the group is alright, you just miss the clear cut superstar.

I think what we did is we just went in for the talent haul with no regard towards Bball IQ and other fundamentals.

I was concerned because we went straight for two thin players that had their elite strengths but also major deficiencies.

We went for people that can do stuff and can't do other stuff again.

We need better glue guys and potential star players that are glue.

#19 daywalker02, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Roomba and SamFisher like this.
  20. SamFisher

I agree with you 100% on players mattering many times more than coaching, but changing out the coach probably allows team MGMT to admit that they missed in the draft, if indeed the current trends continue.

It's bad luck for them too - i mean Orlando thought Suggs was better than Wagner! And then nearly drafted Jabari over Paolo...! But they got just enough dumb good luck to be saved from themselves.