1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 10, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man I hear you. 4 years now, I will be damned to believe this system is going to work. It’s more like an Emperor’s clothes at this point. It does not work. Everybody can see it.

That said, I am not saying we should hire JVG kinda of approach. The basic tenet of today’s game and the power of Harden — I understand, we need a better coach like Buck’s to implement what you said.

2. basketballholic

Winslow can shoot, can make plays, and he's a top 5 defender that can switch and play 1-5. Whiteside is A HUGE expiring contract. His contract plus 4 picks to a team seeking cap relief.... lots of options

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Friend of mine works as a journalist close to the Celtics. Says Horford May pass up a big payday and take a hefty pay cut to sign a one-year deal with a contender to try and get himself a ring. He’d fit perfectly in Houston if he’s willing to just take the MLE. Not sure he’d go that low though.

saleem, nemac and Pringles like this.
  4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Contender contender? We are probably not in that category for him to take that big of pay cut tonpkay in an ISO system.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

What star would you target with Whiteside and 4 1st rounders that would be worth it for both sides?

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I don’t think we’ll be playing in an ISO system next year. Especially if the rumors of MDA getting fired are true.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i havent moved on. does that make me a hardcore fan or an angry b*stard?

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The system works but Steve Nash and Amar'e stoudamire perfected it, and they're a tough act to follow.

People forget MDA had players like Jason Richardson, Shawn Marion, and Tim Thomas.

People talk about far"weed", danuel house, and Tucker but Tim Thomas was light years ahead of those dudes while playing for MDA.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We're not winning a ring with Harden as our leader. I thought he matured & maybe those past pathetic playoff performances were behind him. But he still looks like he stops competing the more the season is on the line. Trade him

10. basketballholic

Dunno. Probably hold and see what develops.

tmactoyao likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

We need to get bigger on the wing than center.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Just wondering which leaders could have given u chip this year?

13. andersongo

andersongo Member

Oh...now it kinda make sense...Go on.

14. andersongo

andersongo Member

This year's Rockets play nothing like the old Suns of MDA. Far too much isos. The Hawks are actually the new SSOL Suns.

Richie_Rich and LorneMalvo like this.
  15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

There is no way in hell D’Antoni should coach them next year.

Even if beating GS as constructed is harder than if they had Horford, it wasn’t impossible. I truly believe this series would still be going if House/Nene/Faried got minutes.

lilbird20 likes this.
  16. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

This conclusion is based on what exactly? An over reliance on one star works once in awhile (Angry Bron managed to do it once), but in general it's just going to fail due to the star being worn into the ground eventually. What's also worrisome, I'm not seeing evidence either way of JH meshing with another star.

Also, moving on with this setup is inevitable with two albatross contracts, but that makes getting "the right players" hollow phrasing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

You are so full of **** I hope you don't light a match near a body orifice. Houston is a contender but Boston isn't?

18. basketballholic

Then you don't know basketball.

saleem likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hey, he is just passing on information. The Celtics have been extremely dysfunctional. Houston wasn't as bad as them. He also said he didn't think Horford would agree to come for the MLE.

20. basketballholic

Based on the FACT that when we had both Ariza and Luc healthy we were nearly unbeatable.

We went 52-9 in games Luc played in. And we were smoking teams to the point that the most games were over before 6 minutes left.

Of the 9 losses we suffered with Luc playing, 6 of those games were missing either Paul or Harden. And two of them late on the season were games that Luc played on with a bum shoulder.

The key to last years success was when we went small without Calela or another big we had 2 guys with length to play and- switch with in Ariza and Luc. We beat GS with those guys during the regular season. Our one loss to them was when Harden was out. Then we played them down to a draw with Luc out. We were on them. If we had had a legit 5 that could switch, shoot, and finish.... we would've won even sans Cp3.

That formula works. Playing 5 out with a guy like Luc that can defend but also has enough shooting to pop the 3 and enough handle to go to the rack when overplayed.....

We need two guys 6'9"+ with long arms and Luc's defensive dnd offensive skills. Them you go get a couple standard bigs like Looney for the minimum and you roll. (You don't pay Looney the third highest salary on the team and expect him to be your third best player and then have to modify your system to try to make it work with him since he's the third highest paid player and therefore has to play.)

The gas for last year's team was the combo of PJ, Ariza, and Luc playing major minutes at the 4/5 slots. That was the key to the team. When that was taken away we stumbled. And when it was removed entirely this season and not replaced we faltered in the standings and in the playoffs.

PolarBear, Hakeemtheking, HP3 and 2 others like this.