1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISP throttling question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Apr 22, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

During high traffic times if the internet is slowing down. Do different tiers get throttled down to different speeds. Or if for example if you have the highest bandwidth is that slowed down to a speed that would be higher than the lowest cost tier would be?

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No idea. I get 1 Gig down through Comcast and haven't had any issues at all. TV on outside by the pool, one in the kitchen, 1 in den and i usually leave the main bedroom tv on and all are wireless boxes except for the den tv. All on but with mute on too. Makes no sense but it works for my sanity. Spotify through sono's in kitchen and bedroom all day while working, wireless printers, Ring complete system using wifi...just saying I'm ****ed when internet goes down.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Who's your provider and what speed do you have? Also, are you using a router they provided you with or your own hardware?

For example, I run all my own equipment, and I know it definitely gives me an advantage on my provider vs my neighbors, ie I'm paying for 400 down and I typically get 440+, and unless the server I'm accessing is having issues or I'm using a VPN to be outside of the states. I'm typically getting max regardless of the time of day, I'm also getting this speed over wireless/wired devices, but I am running multiple access points/switches all connected wired/gigabit between to achieve this. I even made sure the line that runs to the house for internet had no splits.

Obviously depending on speed/provider/# of users will depend if it'll help, but with me I know it was worth doing since the wife and kids wife stream stuff on multiple devices and I need the internet for my job... It basically makes it so I have no issues.

How slow are you getting when it's throttled?

Also, my suggestions might not apply but I know my neighbors are getting a lot less reliable service. I help out when I can, but honestly... It's hard to have enough time sometimes, the other thing I see is users stacking up on the wrong wireless channels *ie everyone is stacked on the same channels - it's less likely in a house for interference with neighbors, but if in an apartment/office suite it can also play a role.

I basically made sure on my wireless access points there's less chance of spectrum saturation by either making sure I'm using non-overlapping channels (if possible) and that all my wireless access points are different channels / distanced away - there's software you can use on your pc/phone to analyze this to make sure you're on the best channels for your router/APs.

I know in my neighborhood it's not a super big deal, but I see people stack 2.4 GHz channel wrong for legacy devices and even 5 GHz too (obviously not a super huge deal on 5, but I try to make sure I'm getting what we're paying for).

Xerobull likes this.