1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ish should start over Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Audioout, Nov 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Audioout

Audioout Member

Now, don't get all over me. I'm not saying that Ish is better than Lowry (though that argument isn't completely egregious). I'm not saying that this fixes all our problems or even half of them. What I am saying is that I think it will help both Lowry and Ish and the team overall.

Bare with me.

I believe that Ishmael thrives best when he has experienced veterans around him both encouraging him and leading him along. He's most effective creating for others and only shooting when absolutely called for. Teamed with Martin and Scola this is ideal for him in my opinion. Also, for all of Shane's shortcomings, he is one of the team's best passers out there and having both Ish and him out there, I believe, will help the offensive flow a bit. I also don't see much difference defensively between the two so that isn't a consideration.

Now, for Lowry, I believe he is most effective generating offense out of pure will and aggressiveness. I haven't seen the Lowry of old that would simply run into the paint and attempt a layup defender be damned, more often than not drawing a foul call in our favor. While his injuries are certainly one factor limiting this style of play, I also believe it's because, as a starter, he's responsible for creating for others more so than with the bench. If Lowry just bulls his way into the paint early into the shot clock then you can forget Martin and to a lesser extent Scola getting into the game offensively.

I believe Lowry realizes this and is actively being passive offensively because he believes it's what he should do. By playing him in the starting lineup we are taking him out of his comfort zone. He looks like he's playing against his instincts out there.

Besides that, the bench needs a leader out there. Someone to show them how they should be attacking the basket. Aggressive basketball is contagious as is soft basketball and if the bench sees Lowry out there diving into the lane and going after every rebound a young bench will likely follow. And if they don't? Lowry should be on them. Nothing Garnett like, just enough to let them know who the veteran player out there is. Lowry should be an extension of the coach out there and this bench (especially minus Bud) needs to be coached as much as possible.

Sorry for the epic long post and I hope people actually read my argument for this and don't just come in here posting "You're stupid. Lowry is better than Ish!" Derp a derp to anyone that does. ;) The rest of you, what do you think?

1 person likes this.
  2. G-Money

G-Money Member

Lowry: 0-3 FG, 2 pts, 4 assists, 4 turnovers in 25 min

Smith: 5-6 FG, 12 pts, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover in 22 min

HMMM..TOUGH ONE

3. Htown's2kFinest

With the way we are playing, wth eh. Lowry is use to coming off the bench anyway. At least we'll get to see Ish dish out some more highlight passes when we lose.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

To be fair to Lowry, he played 43 minutes yesterday.

5. Audioout

Audioout Member

Agree.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Uhh...no thanks. :eek:

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I already was.

8. Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero Member

What does it matter? We're going to blow the lead in the 4th no matter who is starting.

9. redao

redao Member

Play both.

Ish
    Lowry
    Battier
    Scola
    Hill or Miller

could finish the game.

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

yeah, it's a good idea, RA actully tried to to this several games before like the washington game and the indy game, then he realized that ish is just not mature enough to do the starting job on a nightly basis, he then turned back to lowry as the starter.

lots of people here are saying brooks should come off the bench and lowry should start, now it's actully a chance to see how he fares if he plays a starter. Let's see after 10 games, if he can manage the spot.....

it's just a process, it's painful, but guys, you just have to take it...

11. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Starters: (short-term)
    Ish
    JT
    KM
    Scola
    Hill

Good mix of skill, experience, and athleticism. Of course it will never happen :p

12. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

BRING BACK STEVE FRANCIS!

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think what you are saying is Ish thrives best against Minnesota.

And on second thought, doen't everone thrive best with experienced vets. I know I do with MILFs

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No he shouldnt.

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

For this one I'm going to have to counter with:

Sample size.

Using one game for or against your argument isn't going to mean much. Lowry has had games this season where he does well, and others where he struggles. Much like Smith. When Smith is consistently better than Lowry, then go for it.

16. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Brooks played 41 minutes opening night against the Lakers, next night has a bad game (13 points and 7 assists, 4-15 shooting). Why doesn't he get the same excuse as Lowry? Why is it taboo to just admit Lowry isn't playing well and cut the BS?

17. kevtse

kevtse Member

If JT can get some non-garbage minutes, what else can't happen? Let's give Ish a chance.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ish can create for others, and should absolutely be in the game in the 4th quarter, over Lowry.

I didn't think it possible manage the 4th quarter much worse than Aaron Brooks has this season, Lowry doesn't even look like he belongs in the NBA.

Why
    Enormous
    Salaries
    Undermine
    Contracts
    Keeping
    Balance
    And
    Leeway
    Lending
    Suckage
    And
    Consistent
    Kollapse

19. 42zrO

42zrO Member

i totally agree. ish is better and should start. also rockets should start someone other than miller for the center imo. hill has been playing pretty good. Courtney Lee and J Taylor have been playing good and showed it in the Thunder game.

20. highstep

highstep Member