1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao/Cato really the only combo we have the rest of season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivanyy2000, Dec 12, 2003.

1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

OK, Yao played terrible last night, no excuse, especially his offense. But we always have big trouble facing teams with star PF, is it just a coincidence?

Zach Randolph destroyed our frontline the other night, Tim Duncan outplayed our two NO three big men last night. Brad Miller got his first 29pts games this season two weeks ago. It happened again and again. There must have something wrong with it. Our twin tower frontline just doesn't work for those teams.

To me, I feel like:

1. Cato's O, he has almost no range, almost no post move, an abusively liability on the offense end.

Worse, he doesn't set the pick for our guard that often, is it just lazy or something? Most of time we only see Yao going to the high post set the pick n roll. Since he seldom sees the ball from the pick, he has to rush to basket for the offense rebound. No a chance facing teams like Spurs, they box out so well. That is probably one reason make him grab little offense rebound and be tired so quickly.

2. Cato' D, he is a good rebounder and defender, but only under the basket, he is a C after all. How many times we saw both Yao and Cato standing under the basket while opponents' PF took a wide open jumper from outside. And his speed and footwork is terrible for PF position. Twice we saw Yao had to defend other teams' PF, Zach and Duncan, Yao's speed is no good for them either. But JVG might want take advantage of Yao's absolute height.

So, I think Yao / Cato combo can only be the short term solution or when we face small team. No way can they keep it going against the western conference. Starting Mo T and shop some solid real PF at the same time may be the solution. Too bad, EG had a chance to become our answer. :( :(

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe the pairing of Yao and Cato is JVG's way of adding size to a starting roster that sports three shooting guards. Ostensibly he is putting a bruiser next to Ms Yao Ming; me, I'd rather we admit that we need a real power forward and get a good backup center. EC teams would love to get Cato, as there are practically NO centers in the East.

3. haven

haven Member

JVG is selling his soul with starting Cato. Cato certainly has his uses - just not when Yao's in. He's so incompetent at offense, that teams don't even have to respect a 6-10 foot jump shot.

THere were several times that Cato got the ball, absolutely nobody guarding him, just a few feet from the hoop... but since the path to the basket was blocked, he was helpless. I tink once, he threw up a horribly ugly shot. Most of the times, he just looks wishfully at the basket, then passes it.

Sorry, I know JVG is defensive-minded. But that's "selling your soul" to your strength, when you go with the type of game that you prefer over the obviously superior solution. Taylor is a more effective player than Cato. Especially with Yao.

JVG is a defensive wizard. It's only normal for him to prefer defensive-minded players. But he's going too far with Cato.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Cato and Yao have had more good games than bad games. Having said that I do think that it is about time to put MoT into the starting lineup although I would keep the 3 man rotation of Yao Ming, MoT and Cato. I think they are pretty good.