1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is washing your hands B.S?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets1616, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

I was talking to a successful doctor the other day and he was saying how all these hand sanitizers and soaps were screwing up the human immune system, and how we should be exposing our bodies to germs to build up resistance. Killing all the germs that dont need to be killed is bad for us. What do you think?

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It would not surprise me if the end of the human race results from some sort of super germ that is resistant to all of our medicine. There are already a lot of these types of germs in hospitals.

Still, I'm not sure if the answer is to stop washing our hands.

4. newplayer

newplayer Member

does this doctor wash his hands after he's been to the bathroom?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...he's a little sloppy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

A super germ will not 'end the human race' but it will take care of the over population problem.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

All hand sanitizers, Lysol cleaners, soaps etc. with antibiotics are detrimental to society. Use products that do not have antibiotics (generally the "kills 99.9% of bacteria" are those with antibiotics). Soaps and detergents are more than enough to wash bacteria off you. There is no need to kill them with antibiotics and give them resistances.

It is still sanitary to wash your hands.

8. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Some doctors are morons(not implying that yours is...nor that what he suggested isn't plausible). Sure they spent their entire life going to school to become one, and now have loans up the ass. But antiseptics are key in keeping us healthy, as well as other situations like medical, social, etc.
    Just wash your hands.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I haven't had a sick day in the all the years I've been working and never missed a day of school either. I attribute this to my religious hand washing before I eat anything. I don't believe in or use that antibacterial hand wash people carry around with them these days. I like plain old soap and water.

Most other people I know are sick at least 5 days a year.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Only time I ever really wash my hands is after dropping a deuce or handling raw chicken\meat. Its probably a lot less then most people, but I haven't been sick in years.

11. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

My mom has been preaching this for years, and she's right. Just wash your hands with regular soap, no antibacterial stuff, no hand sanitizer.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wash my hands after using a public restroom then proceed to have a full grip on the door handles before opening the restroom door. I don't really get sick off that or anything.

...now motion sickness.. that's a killer.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnmMNdiCz_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnmMNdiCz_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

14. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

I use hand sanitizer all day. I wash my hands when I drop a deuce or beat my meat.

1 person likes this.
  15. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Washing hands != using hand sanitizer.

Washing your hands with soap is a mechanical removal of germs. There's nothing wrong with that.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Less than 2% of the time . . . .
    maybe all the excess is a bit of overkill

Rocket River

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Washing your hands has lead to dramatic decreases in almost every known illness. The same is true with alcohol based hand sanitizers, and there is no way for a bacteria to develop a resistance to hand sanitizer.

18. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

+1

There is a big difference between washing your hands with (normal) soap and water vs. using some anti-bacterial agent. You should always wash your hands. Often.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

It's a little disturbing hearing a doctor say he doesn't believe in hand washing. I hope that he's referring to anti-bacterial cleansers and not hand washing in general.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

This is nothing new, we have known this for decades.

Getting sick, while it sucks, is good for you in the long run. Your body is an amazing thing. It's crazy to think that fevers actually serve a purpose (if you don't know, our body turns up the heat in order to try and kill virus cells in our body, since they get damaged due to heat).

Wash your hand tho. Not every second of the day, but after you use the restroom, dont get your **** particles on the doorknobs and everywhere else you touch.