1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a possibility Rox get Ward as backup PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivanyy2000, Jan 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

OK, PHX officially gives up this season already, trading their franchise players for cap space. I found following paragraph in the AP report looks interesting.

Ward has a 6million salary this year and 2 million for buyout. Since Phx doing the trade just for saving money and rebuilding the team, Ward is obviously not included in their rebuilding project and it is quite possible they cut him before Jan 10.

I bet JVB must be thinking hard to acquire Ward as our backup PG. As well as wilkes played, he seems have trouble shooting the ball and is still a question mark as backup PG for rest of the season. On the other hand, ward is veteran and worked for JVG for many years. He is a typical JVG guy. So if we could sign him for cheaper price, I think it will be a good try.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know lots of people thought of this when the Phoenix trade went down. I was just waiting for this thread to appear.

Will Phoenix have enough point guards without Ward? They'd have Ward, Eisley, and Barbosa. I'm hoping they figure he's not worth the money to keep around for the remainder of this season. If he is cut, would Ward want to come to Houston?

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Sounds worth a shot, but we already got rid of Moochie. I mean, how much icing do we need?

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is Ward *that* much better than our oh-so-affordable Wilks? It's not clear to me.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Would we need to pay Ward anything more than the minimum anyway?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Question, if the Suns cut Ward and he becomes a FA does that mean the Rockets would pay his salary or would the Suns have to pay it for the remainder of the season? Could Ward be gotten with the veteran's minimum?

Seems like Ward could be a decent back up PG considering what else is out there. To be honest, I haven't seen him play all that much. Can someone tell me his stengths/weaknesses?

7. sun12

sun12 Member

Suns surely will buy out Ward. It is a no-brainer. Why would they pay Ward that much money next year and after? Plus, the reason for that trade is to get cap space. Ward takes a lot of cap space.

I would like to see Rox get Ward as a backup PG. He is JVG's man. He knows the system.

8. ivanyy2000

Simple word, Ward is at least 2 times better than Moochie in term of controlling the game flow, making smart decision and shooting the ball. And he knows JVG's system too well, if we acquire him, he can play the second day after the trade.

Knicks paying him 6 million is insane, that's why guys like layden gets fired. If we pay 1 million and playing him, it will be a nice deal.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yes.

I like Wilks as a Scotty Brooks type, but Ward is a vet that can run a team, something we don't have. Steve can play a lot more two, and SF and Cat can both cut their minutes back a little.

Ward would be the perfect backup PG, his only problems were he was starting and he was making starter's money.

Evan

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Buy out clause - he'd be a FA. We could sign him to the minimum for the rest of the season.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's all I needed to know. Getting Ward for the vet minimum would be nice.

12. sun12

sun12 Member

It would be silly if they don't blow $1 mil on Ward, unless of course there will be competition for Ward's service.

Ward might solve Rox's backup PG problem. IF weatherspoon can play 10min/game for backup PF, Rox might be okay with the PF position as well.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Don't be sure about that. Ward's contract ends THIS season, not next. Also, with the subtraction of Marbury, the Suns now need a PG. Well... um... they got one back in Ward, who's a reliable stop-gap until the end of the season. Why buy him out now when 1) they need him and 2) the cap space will STILL be there at the end of the season? Besides, Ward is better than Eisley and more experienced than Barbosa. Unless they're planning on making MORE moves and need the $4 million cap space right away, I don't see the logic in buying him out.

14. ivanyy2000

I will say Phx will cut Ward for 80% chance.

2 Million buyout for 6 million salary, they save 4 million, they will save like another 4 million for luxury tax for over the cap. Save 8 million total a year for a player like Ward. Are you kidding me, it is huge.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

well somebodys gonna get him cheap. it might as well be us. i dont think the suns will keep him with all the crazy cap space theyre going to piss away on overpaid mediocre players who will actually sign. i forsee the chicago effect in phoenix. trading marbury was moronic but he was a dope and i guarentee you they would never have made it out of round 1, 2 tops. they didnt have THAT great a foundation and did not have a future championship team. at least now its more of a focus on amare when he gets healthy.

imagine if we had traded francis for NYs junk. i suspect there would be a riot and not much support from the trade francis crew. cap space though.... were a better draw than phoenix, plain and simple, are we not?

yeah get ward for nothin. sounds good

16. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Dude cant you guys see Charlie Ward is no different than Moochie Norris. Just a bit taller and can guard a bit better. Ward does not impress me, we need role players who can play and who will come through in the clutch. Mr. Ward is not one of them.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Why is it so difficult to just let the team be? Could there be a reason Ward may have been waived by 2 NBA non-playoff teams? Isiah wanted the Knicks to uptempo so he coveted Moochie. The Knicks (Eisley, Ward, etc.) average a whopping 1 more Fast Break point per game than the Rockets.

I like the way Mike Wiks pushes tempo. Let Wilks prove himself first. Ward is 33 years old with a talent level that can easily be reached during the summer. Neither may be the long-term solution, but let's stop tweaking things and go to war with what we got.

18. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

What fer?

I don't see the Suns buying him out after that trade. They would be too short handed. The cash was probably so they didn't have to buy him out anyway...

19. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Suns will buy out Ward this week (according to ESPN)...Rox better move.

"McDyess and Ward are vehicles by which the Suns can slash a $66 million payroll this season and turn it into roughly $10 million in cap room next year.

How? McDyess' $13.5 million, Ward's $6 million (the Suns will buy out Ward this week, saving another $3.6 million) and Tom Gugliotta's $11.7 million all come off the books at the end of the season."

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Francis for Marion + Jake Voskuhl