1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is "The Zen Master" up for another challenge?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UNMKT4, Jun 14, 2002.

1. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

We know Phil Jackson has had his fair share of problematic players in his coaching past. None more recent than Isaiah Rider, also known as J.R. With his off the court problems and on the court (nothing more than a few dozen late apperances at practice session's), we know Phil can get the job done with these type of player's.

Maybe as recent as last week, I read a thread relating to the Lakers "already building for the future," and named DeAngelo Collins as one of the prospect's we were talking about.

In the June 24th Issue of <b>ESPN the Magainze</b>, John Gustafson writes:

<i><b>DeAngelo Collins</b>

In any draft, the younger the player, the higher the risk.
    Then there's DeAngelo Collins.
    The 6' 10", 200-pound Inglewood High star has the body of an NBA power forward and the hands nad range to play the 3. Many scouts project him to go late first round. But Collins is also the owner of something unseen in any former prep-to-pro prospect: a lengthy rap sheet
    AS a Tustin High freshman, he beat up one of his teammates, inflicting permament head injuries and causing the victim to undergo plastic surgery. Collins pleaded guilty to felony assault, was fined $35,000 and spent six months in juvenile hall. It wasn't his first sting in juvey. At 13, he assaulted a woman with a deadly weapon and served 60 days. Collins eventually wound up at Inglewood with coach Patrick Roy, a man with a rep for straightening out tough kids. Roy admits that Collins has occasionally missed class but says he's kept his nose clean. "The best thing that ever happened to DeAngelo Collins was Patrick Roy," says bob Gottlieb, an AAU guru who took Collins into his home in 98'. "DeAngelo is bright, but at that time of his life he had a dark side."
    It's a side one team in the first round is hoping to never see.

</b></i>

As his coach states, <b>"Roy admits that Collins has occasionally missed class but says he's kept his nose clean. "</B>
    Keeping your nose clean is not skipping class, IMO. He's double standardizing himself

It sounds like this kid would sure tear up the team (if not Kobe's head in practice) and maybe destroy a dynasty in the making.

I think this kid needs to go to a city like Sacramento, with nothing but farm fields and cow bells. You can never get in trouble around there.:D

2. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

I was recently confirmed that I am a dip****.:)

i saw Inglewood and imediately associated that with the laker interest.

The man i meant to talk about that the lakers are really interested in, is Qyntel Woods. They didnt give him a bad rap, so i assume it's all good for him.

my bad ladies and gentlemen