1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Hiring of MDA the biggest disappointment in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, May 28, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

OP, are you freakin' kidding me? The hiring of Pringles falls way down the list of disappointments longtime Rocket fans have endured. I got interested in the San Diego Rockets when they drafted UH star and Hall of Famer Elvin Hayes. To my utter astonishment, the team moved to Houston! I was thrilled. Elvin was Rookie of the Year as the first pick of the draft in the '68-'69 season, putting up monster numbers (28.4/17.1!) and playing 45 minutes a game (Elvin never played less than 81 games a season during his entire career). So I'm excited. The Rockets have moved to Houston with my favorite player! What could go wrong? Hey, this is the Rockets we're talking about. Hayes played for a year in Houston. The owner didn't want to pay him what he was worth, so he was traded to the Baltimore Bullets for Jack Marin. A cheap owner. Sound familiar? Look up Moses Malone, OP. The Bullets eventually morphed into the Washington Wizards and that trade is still considered the greatest trade that franchise has ever made. In 1978, Elvin Hayes won a championship with the Washington Bullets. That trade makes hiring Pringles look pretty stale, in my opinion. Many of us, myself included, could go on with a very long list of disappointments. Alexander's obsession with, and hiring of, Mike D'Antoni looks like chump change in comparison.

#21 Deckard, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

moving out of San Diego disappointed San Diegoans

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

geez..get a grip people.

It's like 2 days in and it's already a huge disappointment? Maybe he wasn't who we wanted or expected, but it could work out well, under the right circumstances. Considering we dont know his staff and haven't started re-shaping the roster, circumstances are yet to be determined.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh, it's a great article - I had read it back when it came out... I strongly encourage others here on the board to read it if they haven't...

Many things can happen that can derail a potentially great season... injuries, suspensions and other things... That's what makes it even more infuriating when mgmt blows opportunities by making stupid decisions and when players ruin good situations by going all diva or getting too wrapped up in their own agendas....

I think Morey has on his twitter - "Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor" - which is why the aforementioned stupidness is even more frustrating...

5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

The pajamas uniform from 1995-2003

1 person likes this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO!

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dramatic much?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Watching Tracy McGrady play ball [/Tinman]

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

On its own, of course not. But as the organization's first move following last year's disastrous season, it's definitely a major disappointment and one of the lowest moments I've had as a Rockets fan in nearly 25 years.

It's also a sobering moment. It confirms my long-held suspicion that we have an owner who couldn't care less about winning titles. For him, he's satisfied with fielding a high-scoring team that doesn't lose more than it wins in the regular season. Anything more is gravy. I've also come to terms with the very likely scenario that Harden won't be a Rocket beyond 2018 and probably sooner than that.

It's gonna be a long painful road toward regaining respectability. Personally I don't think it can really happen til Les is no longer the owner.

10. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Seattle Game 7. Malone bear-hugging Barkley on Stockton's 3. Not even close.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many worse.

Ralph Sampson's injuries. Lewis Lloyd / Wiggins ban from the NBA. Game 7 loss to Supersonics in 93. Sleepy Floyd. The Sweep by the Sonics. That was painful. Yao & T-mac's injuries. Firing JVG. Pippen - huge disappointment. Jeremy Lin. Buck Johnson. Dwight Howard. Lawson wasn't as I kinda figured he'd suck it up.

So all of those rank higher than this hiring.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

No. This entire past season was the biggest disappointment in Rocket's history. This is just a continuation of the same.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nope

The firing of Adelman and the hiring of one of the worst coaches in NBA history in McFail was 10 times worse than this

Idiot Mauri

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

1. Trading Big E
    2. Letting Moses Malone walk in FA
    3. Karla Malone hugging Drexler

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Nice photoshop.

16. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

In my lifetime it's been trading Rudy Gay for Shane Battier.

17. alcatrazpsycho

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Stockton's three pointer. Lilard's 3 pointer. Yao's injury during the streak.

19. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

No way, but it is the lowest moment in cf history. The worst posts by the biggest trolls, at the highest frequency I have ever seen. Ive just been checking in here once a day until some other event comes along to distract the psychos.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah. people are are confusing actual disappointments with frustrated with decisions.

two different things