1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Team/Tribal politics toxic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mockster, Aug 10, 2018.

1. mockster

mockster Member

btw I don’t condone everything Joe Rogan believes but I think he makes valid points here

I see so many people caught up in making sure “their team wins” or they just defend their teams honor and it’s pretty sickening to watch. They could care less about facts or that just possibly that maybe someone on the their side could be wrong or their agenda could be flawed.

I’ve decided to go libertarian [not even really but] a free thinking American where I observe things from an open perspective. It’s funny because people expect you to think or believe in certain things of you choose a side, I just don’t understand why you can’t just objectively call out everything that’s wrong

But I think once we start doing that we start to realize the whole system is just one big corrupt mess. No side is unguilty.

And unfortunately for the left it appears many have incorporated identity politics where their whole life consist of their politics. I see more toxic things coming from the far left that I see concerning but that doesn’t mean the right doesn’t have many problems [trump and among other things] they do, but observing from the outside I just see more concerns on the far left [not Democrats per say]. I have more liberal views but I also agree with conservatives a lot which is great because I feel like I can look at facts with more honesty rather then a political side telling me what I should think

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

#1 mockster, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My thoughts? You are a very confused individual, with all due respect.

Ubiquitin, jiggyfly and adoo like this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

Could you elaborate?

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let's have a debate about ideas then. What libertarian policy ideas do you support, what liberal views do you have, and what do you agree with conservatives a lot on? Since you are "unguilty" of incorporating identity politics let's have that debate. It is fair to say however that you've already said you don't believe Obana was born in the United States. Go.

#4 CometsWin, Aug 10, 2018
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't usually see you posting down here, so I'll give a brief response to just part of your post. You say you have "more liberal views," yet you say nothing about the Supreme Court. You spend more of your time complaining about the "left," or "the far left," yet Mr. trump has appointed one deeply conservative Supreme Court justice, and the guy he wants to fill Justice Kennedy's seat is to the right of Gorsuch. If you really have "more liberal views," you should be freaking out about trump's picks for the court.

You talk about "tribal politics" and "toxicity," yet spend most of your time attaching those words to the "left," or the "far left." These are lifetime appointments and not the only judges he is appointing to lifetime positions in the federal judiciary. The GOP Senate wouldn't even give President Obama's selection for that august body, Merrick Garland, a hearing, and Garland is a moderate. A man from the great "middle" of this country. That is about as toxic as you can get. Tribal? What do you think the Republican Party looks like now? A tribe that has been captured by an individual, trump, and with the assistance of a hostile foreign power, according to every intelligence agency, about 16 or 17 of them, that our country possesses.

Go ahead and respond to that. Thanks.

AB and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. mockster

mockster Member

1. Everyone has an opinion and just because it may lean more one way doesn’t mean I’m “bias” it just means I’m not letting the bias left or bias right effect my decision. I’m judging our more openly, I’m sure everyone is a tad bias I suppose. I would like to think I’ve dropped that more as years passed

2. I think there should be free healthcare or at least free healthcare for low income citizens. I don’t think anyone should have to suffer because they can’t afford it. I think at this point of time we can do it and we’re better then that

3. I think at least one year of college should be free and mandatorybut I also think public school should totally be redone and try to implement more logic, Day to day stuff and more useable life skills. As not everyone has competent parents unfortunately

4. Not sure if this is a “liberal” view but I don’t think families should be separated st the border

5. I defiantly think mar1juana should be legal and taxed

6. I think homosexuals should be able to marry

6. While I don’t exactly agree with transgender and the some of the crazy social issues [thats for another topic] that come with it I totally agree if a human wants to change their sex they should defiantly be allowed to and should not be treated as a sub human just because they’ve done so

7. The environment, I hate how the right treats the environment. Their views [i wouldn’t even call them views they just don’t give a ****] is so wrong, we only have on earth and all they care about is making more money. This is something that actually angers me about the right.

And many more, I would say I tend to have more liberal views but it’s probably pretty even to both as there are many issues that are labeled left or right

#6 mockster, Aug 10, 2018
  7. mockster

mockster Member

All due respect, it looks like you caught a few key phrases got hurt because it might have been bashing on your “side” and then based your whole argument and thought process on that

Did you watch the video?, did I say I support trump or think he’s doing good?,

Also did you really expect me to call out every issue in depth when my original message was the basis

Yes trump is corrupt, but this is the same thing the right did when Obama was in office. Call out all these things that should make him “impeached”. Don’t get me wrong I’m not excusing trump and if it’s proven he colluded with Russia he should be impeached asap

But this is the same pattern with every left and right president. One team has to take down the other side.

If you look they both did corrupt and illegal things you can’t sugar coat that, bit either all corruption is bad or none of it is

With that said yes I believe trump is a worse president corruption wise then Obama and trump is the most unprofessional human being ive ever encountered as president.

But yes trump aside I do see some concerning things from the “far” left. That doesn’t excuse the right in any way though and I never denied that either.

So I’m not really sure what your on about I just think because your so biased anything negative to the left is going to be combated with “oh yeah but why are you ignoring this on the right” because your already caught in the team politics

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't the same. Obama didn't do anything anywhere close to what Trump's administration has done. The difference is that Trump has had people on his team actually arrested and guilty of crimes. There is still an ongoing investigation.

So then why are you questioning people from either side who more disapproving of Trump's corruption than anything from the Obama administration?

9. mockster

mockster Member

Either all corruption is bad or none of it is.

Who am I questioning?, I think we should bring it all to light. I’ve never once stated that I defended anyone.

I’m just stating it’s hypocritical and the same pattern but for the opposite side

It just makes me cringe when people can say something when I remember the same thing happening in previous administrations.

People are still wearing their politics on their sleeve when they quote me and it’s obvious when my point is entirely different

When people quote me they just want to prove me wrong and make their side seem good or switch the topic to “the right does this”

When it’s obvious my thread never even suggested that

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it isn't. I absolutely believe all corruption is bad and should be brought to light by any candidate or party that does it. That doesn't mean that the scope of corruption is equal. It isn't.

When people quote you, at least in my case, it is because I disagree with a point you are bringing up in the discussion. That is what debate and discussion are about.

11. mockster

mockster Member

Not to me, it’s just people trying to “convince” me the right is bad as if I didn’t already know that. Or saying “but this” it’s not a disagreement but a rebuttal to a fact or claim only to try and make something seem worse by the opposite side as if I’m defending it but only trying to tell people it’s no different from the other in most cases

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He's a simpleton.

As a person who frequently uses the term libertardian, do you think laws such as speed limits change peoples behavior?

13. mockster

mockster Member

Yes, laws like speed limits do. Along with police to enforce it. Otherwise it would be like Mexico.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Inherently yes, tribal politics are toxic.

I'm not sure how you get people to get away from that, but it would be a nice first step if you could pull it off.

As to this, speed limits do nothing by themselves, the police enforcement of those speed limits is what alters behavior to the extent that it is altered. You still have tons of people doing 85 in a 60 routinely but if they see one person get pulled over, or even just see a cop, the speed of traffic slows to the speed limit in a hurry.

15. mockster

mockster Member

Yep, I’m not sure the intent of his initial comment anyway

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We don't have much of any disagreement there.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well you could as a nice first step stop ranting against immigrants as criminal and rapists and "illegals".

Startling unawareness.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here's a, "with all due respect," right back at you. I deliberately picked one aspect of political difference between the current administration and what would have been the Clinton administration had she assumed office after either running a better campaign (and she sure could have) or being in a fair election (she wasn't - trump was helped by a hostile foreign power, Russia, according to not only all of our intelligence organizations, but those of our allies, as well).

Yes, I picked that one aspect, the appointment of Federal judges, including the Supreme Court, to lifetime appointments and asked you about it. Why? Because you asked a very broad question, so I'm giving you one aspect of that very broad question to respond to. I'll phrase it in a slightly different way, since you didn't respond, but rather decided to be upset, instead. Perhaps you like to ask questions, but not answer them, but here goes.

Again, if you have "more liberal views," why do you attempt to equate both parties and their "corruption" and declare you are going to be "Libertarian," more or less (sort of, maybe), when they are hardly the same? You can say both parties have corruption and I won't argue if that's a broad statement, but then again all political parties have corruption that they have to deal with. Humans by their nature are far from perfect, and political parties reflect the obvious. They are made up of human beings.

However, they don't represent the same political views. They reflect a similar human foil. They can be weak and they can fall prey to greed (trump, as an example) or they can fall prey to moral weaknesses (Bill Clinton). Yet they represent different politics. Hillary Clinton, whether you personally like her or not, has held liberal views since she was a young woman. She didn't begin that way, but her politics quickly evolved to a liberal point of view while in college, and she's been consistently liberal since then. One can argue that she used to be more liberal in the past than she is now, but that's beside the point.

That leads up to this question that I'll attempt to ask you again in a slightly different way. Do you care which political party makes lifetime appointments to the federal bench, including the Supreme Court? If so, why?

Oh, and in response to your earlier question about the video? Yes, I watched it before I ever responded. Every minute of it. I thought I had mentioned that, but reread my response and must have forgotten to include it. It was interesting, although I wasn't a fan of the science fiction aspect of it towards the end. I'm a big fan of science fiction, among other things, and all the future "what if" stuff they talked about has been the subject of science fiction writers in the past. It doesn't really matter. We are more concerned about what they discussed of the current political goings on. Right?

#18 Deckard, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Political tribalism is hellaciously bad, and unfortunately our electoral system encourages it.

Our country will continue to polarize (fatally so), especially in times of economic unrest, until we get rid of first past the post.

mockster likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member