1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is smol bol ded? The Celtics, Wolves, and WCJ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 21, 2024.

?

Should Houston target a stretch big to play along side Sengun?

1. Yes give me the big bol

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, target a cheaper regular backup C, keep Sengun firmly planted at the 5.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I like smol bol, Landale is just fine anyways.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

#1 Team in the East & NBA - Celtics use double big lineups of Porzingis / Horford / Kornet

#1 Team in the West - T-Wolves use double big lineups of Gobert / Townes / Reid

Warriors and their decade long big man-killing reign of Curry and Klay are currently sitting in the 12th spot, behind the Rockets.

Are we seeing a shift? I feel like I've seen less stitch everything PnR defense this season and more drop coverage. FVV feasts on these, as most teams are more than happy to give up a mid-range J and uncomfortable moving 3's. While it's a staple of Fred's offense for us, he's not particularly efficient either.

The Rockets attempted to snag Brook Lopez in the offseason, and I remain curious about the thought of what it would have looked like with Sengun getting significant run at PF next to a stretch 5.

This brings me to the trade deadline, our desperate need for a backup C, and the rumored availability of WCJ from Stein/Fischer

WCJ at 6'10, 270 is shooting 44% from 3 on 3.8 attempts per 36 this season and shot 35% on 4.8 attempts per 36 last year. On top of his 3PT shooting, he's solid at everything offensively (PnR, post up, FTs, midrange).

Carter while a poor shot blocker, and a bit short, is known for his defensive impact, he uses his strength and positioning to impact the game similar to players like Nene and Horford. Great post-defender. He is agile enough to switch a little and contain PnRs relatively well. Good rebounder too.

24 years old still, under contract for cheap for 2 more seasons on top of this one. He doesn't check absolutely every box, but his combination of strength and shooting is very appealing to me for this club. I think he'd be an excellent stretch 5 for Amen to run with off the bench, and I think we could pull off some fun big bol minutes with him and Sengun.

Cost? Something valuable. I'd easily throw them Jalen of course, but I'd just as easily throw him in the trash and I've got a hunch opposing GM's would too. Possibly the 2024 BKN with some protections on it?

I don't know why I made this thread, outside of that, I kind of want to see some big bol in Houston. Tired of the opposing teams bullying us with bigs. Luke Kornet having his way are you kidding me? I loved Chuck and PJ but f*ck that sh*t.

Patience, Imanimal and OremLK like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'd been somewhat in favor of just go and get Lauri, until Utah started winning, but now I'm thinking that option might be off the table.

Jabari at 6'11" might provide an in-house option as he fills out and improves his skillset.

Wendell Carter Jr is an interesting option I hadn't considered. Would Orlando give up such an important rotation piece given their so-far success this season?

If all else fails, perhaps Utah would at least part with Kelly Olynyk as a short-term solution?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

T&P to Smol Bol

Hope his bro Bol Bol ok

[​IMG]

BigShasta likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that Wendell is available, it's just wishful thinking, he is dealing with some weird injuries.

Bitadze is alright but nowhere near Wendell on Offense.

The Magic would be very dumb to make a move now that they have the easiest schedule after ASB and February.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

WCJ would be great. Any backup 5 that can run, shoot and provide passable paint protection would be a great fit, the second unit can become a weapon for us. We were already a top 5 defense with Jalen playing high minutes and no backup C so I don't think we need a defensive boost at the 5 as much as we need to help FVV and Sengun offensively. Clearing the paint and speeding up the pace will help Tari/Cam/Jalen/Amen use their speed and quickness to get easier buckets.

Someone like Olynyk would be acceptable. Isaiah Stewart from Detroit too. Chris Boucher might not be good enough. There are a lot of options out there, and I feel like adding an above average backup 5 of any type is going to help stabilize this team and improve our winning %.

#5 Mathloom, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am more and more convinced that they would have played Brook Lopez alongside Sengun.

Yes, get a big like Brook Lopez. Not sure there is anyone near his quality though.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I get the desire for an upgrade at the backup 5 spot.

What I don't get is the desire to give away what is right now a middle of the lottery pick with a 27% chance to move into the top 4 picks .... for a backup that's likely to play less than 15 minutes a night.

Stop adding that pick to anything that doesn't return a superstar and add any or all of the three 2nd round picks Stone has stockpiled in this coming draft.

Leave that lottery pick for another swing at stardom ....

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I’ve got the big for us and he’s super cheap: James Wiseman. 7 feet and with bulk and potential. Could keep Jabrari starting and have a big defender when he’s out.

10. cbass

cbass Member

Would be great if Wiseman wasn’t trash

11. Left Block Problem 74

What's Dewayne Dedmon up to these days?

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not trading that pick for a back C either, but I think the logic is a stretch bigman would backup both Smith and Sengun and could play with either. WCJ would fit that mold.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You could start him if we’re to go full tall bol, but yeah regardless he gets over 25 mpg.

I wouldn’t trade the pick without a top 6-8 or whatever protection on it either. To get you have to give, and I’m not sure if we need more immediate young players to develop at this point, especially if they aren’t likely a top prospect with high end upside anyways. WCJ would be young enough to fit with the core while being able to contribute at a high level today. We lack size and shooting in a bad way.