1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Schaub OBrien's Starting QB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't consider Bob McNair a meddling owner, but he's not going to let that happen. Gary Kubiak got fired because he could not quit Schaub...Mcnair isn't going to have it and BOB is going to have a short head coaching career if he starts out like that.

If anything it will be Matt Cassell, who is capable of being equivalent of what Schaub did in his best years IMO. He'll look good with a good offense and terrible with a bad offense.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Like the majority of "analysts" at EPSN, Jaworski is a dumbass.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I think Jaworski had Schaub rated as his 8th best qb last summer so it's not a surprise he'd take him over Manziel and everyone else.

I agree with him. Keep Schaub, take Clowney. Then draft best tackle or qb left in the second and third rounds depending on who is left on the board. Grab best cb, ilb in middle rounds. Take a shot on a guy like Lyerla in the 6th. Fill additional holes via free agency.

5. Raven

Raven Member

I'm starting to wish Clutch would just ban any story originating from ESPN. They really are the TMZ of sports "news". Other than stats, standings, scores, etc., they're mostly worthless now.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way they stick with Schaub even though when he's playing well, he's better than any of the QB's from this class. Unfortunately he's broken and I don't think he can be fixed. It's time to move on.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Broken is the perfect term. He's (probably still) a physically capable QB but he was very obviously swallowed whole mentally these past two years and I can't imagine a scenario in which he can be repaired. Certainly not here in Houston. His first incompletion, let alone interception, could lead to the stadium being treated like Los Angeles after a championship.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

TMZ is extremely accurate in the stories they break. Pretty rare for them to have a big miss.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, but they elevate the trivial to a level of importance that it doesn't deserve, same thing with ESPN. Every story is treated as some huge event, no matter how insignificant. Just like Fox, just like CNN, no proportion at all, because proportion isn't profitable. So their talking heads are encouraged and rewarded for saying stupid provocative crap just to set fans off. Even suggesting that Schaub should come back is a perfect example of that. Jaws is either deliberately trolling, completely oblivious to the Texans' cap situation, utterly clueless about Schaub's contract, or he took too many hits to his head as a player. Of those options, trolling seems the most likely, especially since ESPN is cutting his checks.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Agreed they have been that way for awhile now.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Zero chance.

12. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know if it will be Schaub or not. But even if they do draft a rookie quarterback _ I seriously doubt they will throw them out there with that horrible offensive line.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

so if we draft a qb somewhere and get rid of matt, who starts? keenum?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Potentially, yes if he won the starting job in camp, but I think more likely the Texans would bring in a vet. I don't think any QB taken in this draft would beat out Keenum in camp, but if they are foolish enough to take a QB with the top pick then they'll have to start him anyway.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Aint gonna lie, another year of matt schaub would be hilarious...

If texans draft clown3y i hope matt schaub is the starting qb.

16. Remii

Remii Member

That way we can get one of those stud quarterbacks in next year's draft.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cassell/Mccown, Keenum, and Draft Pick will have an open competition is my guess. If we take a QB at 1/1, Keenum likely goes to 3rd string. Any later than that and Keenum is likely to be the backup in week 1 IMO.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's a possiblility...

We dont know if McNair doesn't want Schaub back at all. We only know he wanted Keenum to get a fair shot, given the circumstances. If BOB goes in there and tells him Schaub is the best shot they have at turning things around quickly to win next season, then I'd think McNair would seriously consider it, if not already. After all, it's McNair who said he expect to be right back in it next season. I imagine he wants that above all else.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they draft a QB in the first three rounds that can't beat out Keenum, they've made a grave error in judgement. Keenum is a fringe NFL back-up QB.

I suppose BOB could convince McNair that what the team needs is one more year of Matt Schaub... but I have to believe McNair calling for Keenum was more "get rid of Schaub; you're alienating fans" than "let's give this kid a shot." (Or, at the very least, 50/50.)

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Come training camp, the depth chart will be:

QB 1 - draft pick
    QB 2 - FA vet not named Matt Schaub
    QB 3 - Keenum