1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ron Artest in Our Future Plans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Feb 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Or are we in Artest's future plans?

I guess I'm wondering what the chances are that we end up signing him to an extension? After being actively shopped, does he even want to be here next year (I know loyalty is a big thing with him)? Now that T-Mac is out, is extending Ron more of a priority to the team? Has anyone heard anything or are we just speculating that he walks next season?

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

we have 28 games to find out, but I doubt it

3. The_AzN

The_AzN Rookie

Ron is too much of a risk.

He has the heart, he's more disciplined than before...

But he is injury-prone, his shot selection is pretty horrible at times...

I would let him go and wait for 2010.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ron will stay here if he feels wanted financially and if he feels respected by the franchise.

5. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I think he is part of our future plans as long as he asks for something reasonable when dealing with his contract

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is for the rest of this year, and maybe the summer, but for the future as in next year......maybe so, maybe no.

DD

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I believe he is. Morey will use the Landry contract strategy on Artest to get him as cheap as possible (using the bird rights), then use McGrady as bait or an expiring to add a third player.

The only way I see him go is if they can land Bibby or A.Miller in the offseason.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

How about a one year deal? Might be good for both the Rockets and Ron, leave both of their options open for the 2010 summer of love.

9. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

what do you think ron is asking??

I say 5 years 55 mil

What will the rockets offer?

I'm guessing 4 years 35 mil

10. leonking

leonking Rookie

It all depends on how he react to the trade and the return of Tmac

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

For Ron, the most I would offer would be 3 years 33M with a team option for the fourth year worth 13M.

12. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

That looks like a reasonable figure... but I still believe thats a bit on the high end

13. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

I hope he is, Artest has done well as a Rocket when he has been playing. T-Mac should be the guy that has no future as a Rocket, Artest should have a future. I can only hope so, but if Morey is capable of finding a much better player other than Artest, that's fine by me. But since I can't read his mind and I can't predict the future, I am just going to hope Artest will return for next season.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just resign him at the max next year no matter what. Create an artificial expiring to trade. Win-win

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Morey's comments about getting another star over the summer seems to suggest they have little interest in Artest beyond this year.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Remember we don't have to offer him anything, we can just match whatever else he signs, ala Landry.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I wonder if dude would be dumb enough to take a 1 year. Perhaps if we offered him 1 year, at $14 million and told him more teams would have capspace the next summer, he would consider. You could then use that as an expiring contract later in the year.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Considering we didn't trade him for Vince Carter, he better be in our plans next year.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He would take that 14 in a heartbeat. No one else will offer anything close to that next season. Only contenders want him. Contenders only have the MLE.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

thank god we have artest.

its like we swapped tslack for artest.