1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IS LEONARD BETTER THAN HARDEN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, May 6, 2017.

?

IS LEONARD BETTER THAN HARDEN?

1. YES

63 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. ONLY ON DEFENSE

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

IMO, the top tier is Lebron, Durant, Curry, and Leonard. Harden would be in the 2nd tier. I think his game has too many weaknesses to belong in the top tier.

roxallways likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Spurs don't run their offense through Aldridge. If they do Harden is a capable spot up shooter

Offense has or never been a problem for him

He is the best offensive player in the league

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nothing about Dwight Howard had been great FOR YEARS! Just because thr pick and roll was what he did best doesn't make him GREAT at it. He hasn't been a star level performer since his Orlando days. The guy is just a BIG NAME.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The Spurs run their offense through whoever has the advantage. So they most definitely will run their offense through Aldridge at times. Spot up shooting requires off-ball movement. Since when has Harden been a willing off-ball player?

I think Harden struggles in isolation against disciplined defenders. Guys with physical advantages (length, speed, height) can usually get a good look whenever they need to. Harden can't. If he can't get separation with his crossover, he either tries a step-back 3 or tries to run into his defender to bait the refs into a foul.

Also, what about the defensive aspect of a Leonard/Harden swap? Since the Spurs start Tony Parker, they wouldn't be able to hide Harden on defense.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Harden also out rebounds Leonard

It's important

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Let's not underrate Dwight b/c of how he left. Dwight was great at the pick and roll. We all wished he was willing to run it exclusively.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who smiles More? Harden or Kawhi

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dwight never got a go to move, never learned how to play facing the basket and consistently put this team in impossible situations with his silly fouls and missed FTs. He was a decent pick and roll because his athletic ability allowed him to catch lobs, the same thing Capela is doing. At the end of the day, Dwight never worked on his basketball skill set and just isn't a championship piece. (Especially at his price tag + baggage)

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not really. Leonard's rebounding numbers are deflated in San Antonio b/c he has to compete with guys like Aldridge, Gasol, Lee, and Dedmon. Let's not forget that Leonard has a height and length advantage over Harden.

Additionally, Harden's rebounding numbers are inflated b/c he's hidden on defense. His mark isn't going to shoot which allows him to go for defensive rebounds. Leonard doesn't have that luxury.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

Nah Curry is absolutely not in that group, especially since your supporting evidence for Harden is that "he has too many weaknesses".

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If Howard was a "decent" pick and roll player, how many players would you have put ahead of him back then?

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What's Curry's weakness? He's a complete offensive player, and his defense isn't nearly as bad as Clutchfans think.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Give me a list and any big that can make FTs is better. Dwight is easily neutralized by coaches who know what they're doing. You can't have Dwight on the court at crucial points of the game. I used to like Dwight and I kept waiting on him to improve his FT shooting/offense but now he's in his 30's and nothing. Couple his arrested development with the fact that he's such a head case, and I wouldn't want him on my squad now. Dwight has a nice bank account though.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Quit with the strawman arguments. You said Dwight was only a "decent" pick and roll player. If you truly believe that, you should be able to list several players who were better.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Any big that can make FTs is better.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And they were better when he played with Howard and Asik

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What're you talking about? Harden's 8.1 rpg in 2017 was a career high.

pgabriel likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

wekko is on a one man Harden hating mission in this thread.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In your opinion, have any of my criticisms been unfair? If so, which ones?

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Your mind is made up and I doubt I could sway you. You are entitled to your own opinion.