1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IS LEONARD BETTER THAN HARDEN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, May 6, 2017.

?

IS LEONARD BETTER THAN HARDEN?

1. YES

63 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. ONLY ON DEFENSE

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's a more consitent scorer but 2014-15 Harden was the better scorer than current Kawhi. Harden has simply lost his shooting touch. Two seasons ago, I would think someone would be crazy to suggest that Kawhi Leonard would be the better shooter than Harden.

Harden is the better ballhandler and playmaker but Leonard seems to always have the better conditioning by far to be clutch and efficient deep into the 4th where Harden just keeps bricks late in the 4th.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Kawhi benefits a lot from team and coaching. He's still great.

But one-on-one to 21, I think Kawhi gets tired chasing Harden around defensively.

3. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Exactly, ones a system player the other is the system.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I CAN'T EVEN RESPOND TO THIS THREAT.

UNLIKE....SINCE I'M ALREADY HERE.

5. MystikArkitect

This isn't even a fair comparison. Leonard is a fine player but not in Harden's league. The only two players on Harden's level in this league are Lebron and Russ (if he ever chose to be a real playmaker instead of a chucker he'd be near unstoppable).

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Yes, Kawhi is better than Harden as an individual player. I answered the simple question. But here is a complex reasoning.

That being said basketball is a team sport, and I will not deny that Kawhi does elevate the talent around him as most NBA superstars do, but there are very few players who are capable of making the players around them better like Harden does.Curry, Durant, and Lebron being the obvious ones. I don't think Kawhi has reached the level where he can make his team mates better yet, but he's only 25 and I have no doubt in my mind that he eventually will reach that level.

As an individual Kawhi is almost as complete as you want him to be. Similar to a Paul George or an Anthony Davis. Those three players don't have much flaws in their games, but none of those players really have shown the ability to make the players around them much better than they already are.
    We've seen this consistently with James Harden. Seriously. Remember Omer Asik was a lower tier starting caliber center? What exactly happened to Omer the season he got traded? I haven't heard of him since. I have no doubt that Harden would have made Dwight look like an all-star again if Dwight chose to play to his strengths.

I'm not trying to take away from Kawhi. I'm really not, but Harden simply does make his team mates better and basketball is a team sport. Again, I'm not trying to take away from Kawhi and say he doesn't make his teammates better because I know Spurs fans are reading this thread. Kawhi does, but not on the extent of James Harden. I think some people may argue that Kawhi does because he's a better leader or something like that, but there are a lot of players in the past who've made their teammates better despite being **** leaders. Shaq to name one, and I don't think Harden is nearly as bad as that.

San Antonio won 61 or however many games, and I won't overrate their roster like some Rockets fans have. Their team is a bit better than ours because I do think Aldridge is better than Eric Gordon or Lou Williams, but honestly not by much. The difference is that the Spurs are honestly just more disciplined than the Rockets and that is where San Antonio is better. They've been building a culture and system for seasons now while we are trying to re-create ours. Gordon, Lou, and Anderson are first year players. Capela is young. Beverley, Ariza, Harden and Nene are really the only vets on this teams. And yes, I'm including Nene despite this also being his first year. He's a professional at every level. I think next season Houston should be a lot better if they build on what they have right now, and I feel like Harden will have a better season too. I don't doubt Kawhi will be even better than he is right now either. He's not human.

But it's a team sport, and at the moment Harden does a better job at elevating his teammates so I'd still likely take Harden over Kawhi despite Kawhi being obviously more complete as a player. Also, Kawhi isn't a system player lol. He just played in a good system that promotes ball movement. Nothing wrong with that. If anything the system might constraint Kawhi a bit, but I'm not willing to say that yet.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

No worries on Harden get tired from chasing someone around defensively....

sorry, sorry, i just couldn't resist... it was too easy... lol

gunawanspurs and dkim1984 like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kawhi is the better overall player everything considered. Already an elite defensive player who has improved bounds on offense every season.

Defense - Kawhi and its not even close
    Offense - Harden and its fairly close
    Overall - Kawhi and its close

But but but triple cheese burger told us Mook Morris, that Mook

Bottomline - we could of had both of them and well on our way to a 3 peat

9. omgTHEpotential

Harden is marginally better on offense (mainly because of great flopping and playmaking). Leonard is the better overall player. Both are deserving of MVP.

gunawanspurs and cheke64 like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lul

11. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

Leonard is the more complete player for sure.

12. omgTHEpotential

Call it drawing fouls if it has a nicer ring to you.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Kawhi is the better player. He might be the second best player in the league behind Lebron.

Outlier and CapelaOnlyFan like this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd call it for what it is, which is certainly not "great flopping".

And on a side note, seems like lately while Harden doesn't get calls with or without great flopping, the other guy is getting even without trying.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I believe this is one of the questions on the annual GM survey. FWIW, Kawhi received a vote for player to start a new franchise with last year -- Harden didn't.

Will be interesting to see the survey results after this season.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Plus 1. he travels 2. He gets the benefit of the doubt on every defensive play . .. meanwhile Harden gets the opposite 3. He doesn't have a great eard

Kawhi is great. . . no doubt about it. . . . but Harden is special
    Kawhi has every advantage in this league .. . Harden has had to fight for everything he has gotten

Rocket River

Emanuele Braghetti likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It starts with three questions: How many Hall of Famers has Harden played with? How many Hall of Fame Coaches? How many ALL STARS has Harden played with?

These are all Houston Related . . .no counting his time in OKC

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Same year they said Harden was not even 3rd team all NBA?

Rocket River

19. chandlerbang21

shooting = Leonard
    rebounding =harden
    defense = Leonard
    playmaking=harden
    offènsive skill overall = Leonard
    defense skill overall = Leonard
    more stress from leadership =harden

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  20. omgTHEpotential

So this is why Harden likes strippers... They are stress relievers.