1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jarace Walker the most Udoka player in the draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VoR, May 21, 2023.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Walker but I'm not sure he moves the needle at all for this team. You can say that about most of these guys though...

i3artow i3aller and BamBam like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He moves the needle when he moves the needle.

Most rookies need at least 3 years.

Then you have someone from the University of Houston.

3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I think people see "athlete with no jumpshot" and conflate it with "this guy doesn't know how to play basketball", not realizing that the Thompsons are up there with Scoot in terms of natural playmaking feel and IQ. OTE pace and structure does them no favors either, but people will debate about the qualities of HS/OTE vs. G-League vs. NCAA vs. Overseas all day. What we do know is that successful prospects can come from anywhere.

Anyway back to Jarace, who's one of my favorite prospects. Really like the flashes of ancillary playmaking a-la Draymond/Al Horford. Might have the most DAWG in the draft. Udoka really stresses defense and accountability, so I think there would be a good mesh there.

As RC Cola points out, there's a logjam in the frontcourt. But if the Rockets think Jarace is too good to pass up, I think they'll be fine with letting him or Tari/Jabari come off the bench for 1-2 years until another opportunity to consolidate comes up.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't want to start a controversy, I will just say that I am not as pro Walker as I was a month ago. I still love the physical upside as a defender.

i3artow i3aller, RedIsen and OremLK like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Things change, that is a good thing....stay volatile.

You cannot undo the selection, if you pick someone, that someone is going to stick barring trades.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've come down on him a little bit too lately. From watching him play, I thought he would measure out about an inch taller than he actually did. Must be something about the broad shoulders throwing off my perception. It's kind of concerning that he's more like the height of your typical SF given that I see him as somewhere between a 4 and a small ball 5.

I still think he will be a good player in the NBA who will have a long, productive career, but I do wonder if he's quite the prospect I originally thought he might be. He could be the next Draymond Green, but the sobering reality is that Draymond is a very unique player, and his archetype is exceptionally rare.

i3artow i3aller, RedIsen and Nook like this.
  7. VoR

VoR Member

I only want Jarace to have 20m a game starting out.

RC Cola likes this.
  8. VoR

VoR Member

I only want Jarace to have 20m a game starting out.
    Really low floor to take at #4, that is. He's low risk at 15 and lower. He could end up being a player that is solely dependent on speed and vision. Not bad assets, but more along the lines of a Killian Hayes. With NBA rookie contracts you are also paying $12 million to develop them at the #4 pick with very little guarantee that that investment will pan out or that you will be able to retain your talent after their first 4 years. Say his first two years of development are very raw, you have to consider that you will be potentially considering not picking up the 3rd and 4th years simply because the law of diminishing returns. That's why top 10 drafts are high risk if your players do not have the potential to develop quickly. Think of all the money NO has spent for 94 games of Zion Williamson and how much OKC has payed for 0 games of Chet Holmgren. Don't forget that Chet Holmgren was all of the hype for 2 years going into last years draft . . .

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Gotcha, I'd still have questions about that working long-term (especially since I think Jarace needs minutes ASAP to fully develop...like any rookie), but if that's the route you want to go, I suppose it works. If all the guys pan out, then that's a problem you work out later.

10. VoR

VoR Member

I don't think he'll get more than 20 min a game with any team in the league.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ooh baby I like it raw...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's an underrated comparison. Minus the sociopathy of course.

Buck Turgidson and VoR like this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You doing a big board again this year? I really look forward and appreciate your deep dives.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I will do my best to. This year has been really busy.

15. VoR

VoR Member

This team might need a little sociopathy.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Co-sign. Would love to see your big board if you have time.

i3artow i3aller and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This team needs discipline, accountability and more intelligence.

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Walker is the guy I would grab. If Harden or CP3 or Pat Bev is a target the this would be the deal Smith JR could slide over to the SF spot and what ever you do at 20 needs to be more DEF help. This is the way. Livily at 20 would be ideal. Or the Clowney kid

VoR likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically anything a championship caliber group has.

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

FWIW, Spins and Caitlin Cooper did a video discussing Jarace Walker (and Taylor Hendricks), which I thought was pretty interesting:

i3artow i3aller likes this.