1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it too early for the TWolves might actually be good one day soon thread?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Houston22

Houston22 Member

That's it guys. TPuppies can be good. They just need to sell LaVine. I know it's against young Lakers, but Wiggins can be good on defense also.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RedRedemption and tmactoyao like this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lol I was wrong. I thought he was overrated and overhyped.

heypartner and Obito like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

They really do need some hard nosed defense first type veteran presences in the locker room for leadership. They could really really benefit from an ariza and bev combo but idk if they would be willing to part with one of there main 4 key core players to do so

#44 BigMaloe, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. malakas

malakas Member

From the three Wolves games I have watched now I have realised that almost anyone can take a waltz down the lane and attack their rim.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thibs will fix it, and he'll coach up Dieng and KAT a bit. Right now he's doing his best to fight his instinct to expend unlimited energy on suffocating defense and ignore the offense. As the playoffs become more at risk, he will revert back.

7. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Ignoring the offense is the only way guys like Thibbs, JVG can coach

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Which is why I love them both, but didn't want any of them. MDA - though not my first choice - gives you the exact inverse, except it's better for trade value and team revenue.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I said they would be chasing an 8 seed nearly 2 years ago and I don't think I'm that far off. Don't make me go digging up all the things you have been wrong about in the last 6 months let alone 18 months ago.

...as for the Twolves, I'm not worried about them. They haven't had much of a team culture or accountability up until this point and Thibs will bring this to the team or die trying. It's going to take a little time though - he is starting from scratch with this team but I think he'll eventually get them playing solid defense and they clearly have a strong core. I think they will be a .500 team this year - maybe a tad better assuming no major injuries. The general sentiment is I think correct - they are a team on the rise and most certainly a potential perennial playoff team provided they avoid significant injuries and blowing the personnel decisions like OKC.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Okkkaaayyy..I don't understand this aggression out of nowhere? What's wrong with being optimistic and did I ever claim to always be right in my predictions?

Young teams take time. I am more interested in their main 3 guys progress in individual D because in the offensive side they are doing fine.
    However a team where none of the main wings can defend a lick and also the pf and C are not doing too well in pnr D...not going to win many games.
    For 3rd year players in Wiggins and Lavine you expect progress in D from right now. That's the most common curve for wing players. If by the end of the season their understanding and execution of fighting over screens and team d concepts doen't get better to at least near average that's a big red flag on what kind of players they will end up as. (one way or two way). KAT has better baseline and less experience.

I think we can all agree they are a team in the rise.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Fair enough - my bad on overreacting. My point was just that I wasn't too far off on where I thought they would be by this point.

I see your point about the defense but this team is still climbing itself out of the huge hole it dug itself post KG when they were the laughing stock of the league. Wiggins & Lavine are both on their 3rd coach since joining the league 3 years ago, they are both only 21 yrs old, and the cast and offensive/defensive system have changed every year. Assuming Thibs is around for the long haul(unfortunate what happened to Saunders), I think with some year to year continuity and accountability, this team will be just fine defensively because there is no physical or mental reason why those guys can't defend. KAT is a huge body if nothing else - maybe won't ever be a wall at the hoop, but he can be a fairly good impediment at his height just by knowing when to rotate and having teammates who learn how to cover for the rotating help defender. My point is, it may be a little early to write them off because of defensive shortcomings. Let's see where they are at the end of this year / how they start next year before we write them off.

12. kiwirocketsfan

From what I've seen of them in patches this year, KAT hasn't impressed me the way that the hype made me think he would.

I have been impressed with Wiggins more than KAT.

Is that just a product of me watching the wrong patches of games?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Once they're able to dump Rubio they'll be quite a bit better.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Loss to the Pelicans. And that's ok. What is though perplexing is how can Wiggins in 30 minutes have a 2-19 FG shooting night and YET not even grab a single rebound or have a single assist. His only other contribution besides scoring (13 pnts on 19 FGA) was a single steal and two turnovers?

It's okay and expected from a young player to be incosistent, however what is not expected is that someone who has a terrible night not to think or find of any other way in 30 minutes to contribute to his team. That is definitely alarming.