1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it ok to propagate that women are inferior/wicked?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HayesStreet, Aug 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

That is all. Please discuss... (not that there's anything wrong with women being wicked ;) - at least that's what some of us in the 21st century think)...

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

isn't there already a discussion about this going on in another thread???

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yep. I figured since that was the egyptian holocaust thread some people that might be interested wouldn't know its there.

4. MadMax

i'm just thinking it's a non-starter. who's going to say it's cool? i'm guessing even Sane isn't going in here to come in here and back it...he's going to say the Koran doesn't mean it in that way...not that i'm putting words in his mouth.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think a lot of Republicans believe this and the only reason Condi still has a job is so they can point to her and say, "See, women really are incompetent."

6. Fatty FatBastard

I think women are big stupidheads.

Fatty: President-ClutchFans He Man Woman Haters Club.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I highly doubt the inferior bit would fly.

but read any relationship/dating advice thread in the hangout, and you'd get lots of support for the 'wicked' bit :).

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

:D damn, that was actually funny for once.

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What exactly does it mean to say that women have to wear veils because they'll skewer a man's mind with temptation? Doesn't this seem to be silly? It's definitely saying that a woman is doing something WRONG by showing her face, correct? It seems to relate to her SEXUALITY, and it seems to be OPPRESSING the woman. How can we say that is OK?

The whole 'they like it' response is a non-starter, so I don't see WHY we wouldn't at least check if there is a concensus before giving those that DO believe it a free pass.

10. MadMax

what do you mean "they like it?"

i don't know the answer to your question. i'm not musllim. but, honestly, it sounds more like an indictment on the sinful nature of MEN with an inconvenience for WOMEN.

i'm not saying i agree with it. clearly i don't. but i'm not sure that you're going to find anyone here who will agree with the assertion posed in your thread title.

11. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

HayesStreet, MadMax - I'll go check out the Egyptian thread, but...

MadMax is right, from what I've read. The Islamic reason for women covering themselves is usually an indictment against men, who can't control their desires. I'm sure Sane will have better insight. I don't believe Islam has ever argued that women are evil in the way that Christianity and Judaism do (if you buy the divine fall is due to Eve argument, which is a very very small minority, I know).

I'm a Muslim, but in my sect the hijab is not required (i.e., girls don't have to cover up completely or even with a headscarf). The request is simply to dress modestly, which, if you think about it, is what most religious settings ask.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Max - they like it is what Sane says ("its normal to them" - of course it is, that's what they were told growing up - doesn't mean its 'right')

Ah, ok that makes sense. Either way however its still oppressing the woman by requiring under penalty they cover up. All the more unreasonable if the women are not to blame, no?

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. Rocket104

I agree with you. That's why I'm happy with my sect regarding this point... that's why there are denominations, right? ;)

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Do you know which sect disagrees with you? (I don't so I'd be interested so I can delineate in the future)

16. Rocket104

Um, it's difficult to say. You get really specific, and it doesn't really help.

I can say that my sect is called Shia Ismaili - we're considered very liberal, though, to the point where some Muslims consider us non-Muslim.

As another example, I believe that the Sunni variant practiced by Saddam Hussein and codified into Iraqi law didn't believe in the hijab (covering up females) either.

And again, it's a spectrum.
    Some sects require full coverage where only a female's eyes should be visible.
    Some only require hair to be covered (I believe this is the most dominant belief in Iran right now, and even this is becoming more liberal).
    Some simply require modesty and no covering at all.

17. Sane

Sane Member

You don't have to wear the veil. It is optional.

It is not opressing the woman. If the woman believes that Islam is the word of God, then when God says that she needs to cover certain parts of her body, she chooses to do it.

No one will oppose this thread, obviously women aren't inferior. That's just silly. For a woman to cover up, you are simply protecting her sanctity, you have too much respect for her to see her half-naked. If you have true respect for a woman, and she is someone else's wife, for example, would you think it's ok to "check her out"? Hell no.

Men and women are equal. However, I don't think that women should do anything that men are allowed to do. No doubt, they CAN do it, but it's not advisable. I don't think Men should be the ones to nurture a child and a family. Am I discriminating against men? Hell no. But I feel that women are, barring the exception, more capable of nurturing a child or family, hence the child would benefit from the woman doing this rather than the man.

It all ties in with the theory of work specialization. You should do what you're best at doing - Adam Smith proved this theory long ago. So you have an average woman and an average man - which goes into the woods to find food and which takes care of the children? Whichever is best at doing each job.

18. Sane

Sane Member

Covering up, as far as I know, is only penalized in two countries - Iran and Saudi.

Saudi holds Mecca, the holy city. Iran is the Islamic Republic of Iran.

What do you suggest, that these countries allow women to go around in..... tubetops? Whatever you propose for Mecca/Saudi, tell me if you would happily apply it to the Vatican.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Rocket104, anyone interested:

We all believe in the The Prophet don't we?

20. Sane

Sane Member

Even more interesting: