1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it just me or does Netflix' browsing/recommendations sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Does anybody here find it as difficult as I do to find decent movies on Netflix that I haven't seen yet?

I've rated 100's of movies on that thing to give it taste preferences sample - yet all it recommends is either

1)movies I've seen before but in "directors cut" or "special editions"

2) series of shows I've already seen - I mean if I have indicated that I liked Mad Men season X - is it really necessary to bombard me with suggestions to rent the other 3 seasons? Or does it stand to reason that I've actually already seen the freakin show on AMC

3)movies/tv shows i'm utterly uninterested in or that just plain suck.

To make matters worse it's not exaclty easy to browse the rest of the site. Click on "top 100 " and you're greeted with "The Bucket List" . Critics Picks gives you standard big budget blockbusters from last summer that you've already seen. Award winners gives you a random selection of old movies.

end rant

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe they need to tweek their famous algorithm to add a variable for wise-guys like you

oh, and maybe you should start a "What Movies are you Renting Right Now" thread. We can probably help.

3. what

what Member

Do you simply stop at recommendations?

Instantwatcher provides a good indication of new releases. But the bottom line is that finding a good netflix movie requires a bit of research nowadays. Do a google search for top 10 obscure films netflix and see what turns up, for example. take advantage of the instant watcher website. Or just search for an actor that you like and see what they have streaming.

OAN: I did a reese witherspoon search and it turned me onto the movie freeway. Not streamable, but nonetheless I had it sent. A day later I got it.

Nexflix is what you make it.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

FIXED:
    If you're talking about their service to recommend as ONE for the purpose of using the third person... or
    if you're just mentioning plural browsing/recommendations. :eek: Either way, don't use the "s" ending for the verb.

More examples in nonsense:
    "Does SwoLy correct meaningless things?"
    "Do SwoLy's corrections suck"?

But, no, I don't think their recommendations suck. They're good about recommending FOREIGN FLICKS. :cool: I agree with Mr. partner, also.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the new PS3 interface isn't an upgrade either. as a matter of fact, it's quite ****ing annoying. instead of seeing 15 titles of the same category on screen, they now have 5 titles per category per line.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

www.instantwatcher.com gives you significantly better sorting options. Won't really help improve the Netflix recommendations though.

7. SamFisher

Instnat browsing via XBL is a whole other disaster - but thanks I never knew about that site.

Definitely - their algorithm sucks. It also leaves stuff up for too long - if I have shown no interest in seeing Ken Burns "The Civil War" for over a year, it shouldn't pop up anymore. Actually it should be more based around things you hate than things you like.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the recommendation algorithm is so perfect that it is a true window into the soul of the user, revealing uncomfortable truths.

SamFisher, fulfill your destiny: civil war dress up weekends.

[​IMG]

9. SamFisher

So you can hog all the LARP'ing for yourself, B-Bob, or should I say, Sir Robert Silverpants of Owl's Nest Castle.

FAT.

CHANCE.

The realm will never be yours. GIve it up now.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Meh, I take it with a grain of salt. Nothing is perfect. Even the fleshlight may take a few strokes to gain desired effect.