1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it best to just treat our draftees like rookies?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Dec 15, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

Sengun is clearly the most advanced of the 6. But feels like to me that all of Jalen, Bari, Tari, Amen and Cam have very underdeveloped games while also having immense talent at one particular thing. The more I get frustrated with any one of them (specifically Jalen) the more I think it's best just to treat them like undeveloped rookies that might win us a game individually like Tari has shown us the last couple of games.

1) Sengun - Offensive hub and general genius. Issues with conditioning and lacksadasical on defense if his offense isn't going the way he wants. Free throws are going to cost us games. Struggles mightily against athletic big men.

2) Jalen - Offensive dynamo. Issues with consistency (putting it lightly). Whether his haters and critics like it or not, the offense is way more potent with him on the floor either as a scorer or a decoy. His defense is better this year but obviously struggles with turnovers, barreling into defenders, getting his shot blocked and general offensive consistency. Issues with maturity and focus. Has time for Google Pixel commercials but not for gaining weight. Has already blown his chance this year at getting an extension but the team (and fans) should still be patient with him.

3) Bari - Two way jumbo jet. Issues with defensive lapses, can't dribble but is showing signs of working on it. Hesitates too much on his shots. A bit of a hot head. Too thin. High chance he's the best defender in the NBA at his peak. Can guard 1-5. Upside is immense.

4) Tari - Tasmanian devil on defense, blind tasmanian devil on offense. Finishing is a big issue. Can't shoot free throws. Can't finish around the basket. Great at steals and defensively a monster.

5) Amen - Just as likely to put the ball into the front row than the basket. Athletic super freak. Defensive beast. Touch around the rim is great. Can't stay healthy.

6) Cam - Blinders. Can't spell teamwork. Body built for the NBA. Still very raw and the least developed.

OremLK likes this.
  2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

They're rookies to good coaching for sure...

Bo6, napalm06, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

gee... are u saying we wasted the last couple years of development with inferior coaching? but kpj is coming along nicely... and CWood has potential... Nix is a future all-star fo sure!

lol

plegus and clos4life like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sil@ss committed career malpractice on all our players.

burlesk likes this.
  5. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I mean, kinda? I think it's best to evaluate them like young guys in general. It's hard to get in the NBA and dominate consistently against grown men who have been doing it since you were playing outside at recess. Patience in general with all of them is the key, even Sengun. He makes me forget sometimes how young he is, and that's great! I just know every time one of them has a bad game, it'll be fuel for the doomers. It's unlikely that all 6 of them will put up 20+ points on good efficiency in a single game, so those who move the goalposts back will never be out of a job.

Zen Tabak and burlesk like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Treat them like young grown ups?!

burlesk likes this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

No, Amen and Cam are the only rookies. The other guys are second or third year players playing big minutes with a good coaching staff. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly. Sengun and Green are extension eligible this summer, why treat them like undeveloped rookies when the team needs to start making long-term financial considerations for them at the end of the season? If they'll accept rookie scale contract extensions then fine let's look at them like rookies, but I assume they want big contracts.

Eventually, underdeveloped games no longer cut it. Andrew Wiggins won ROY and everyone in Minnesota was excited for his bright future. When he put up the same numbers in his fourth year, with the same weaknesses, they stopped being optimistic.

fattz, Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post!

fattz and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Anytime you don't know how to treat 2nd and 3rd year players, guy is being tentative.....cannot be more tentative than youngins.......

Better continue being a hard ass.

10. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

It feels much better to think that way by treating Jalen as his actual first year getting coached by someone who wants to win. I know it is pretty much equal to hiding your ugly child in the closet but we all watch Sports for the adrenaline and excitement so let’s focus on what working since we’re winning team so far.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

I think we've been hearing about the "3rd year leap" for so long that it's kind of what we expected out of him and it just hasn't happened. I don't really think moving to another attainable player is the answer either as it's going to be a lateral move at best. Even Bridges isn't that much of a better player than Jalen is and is already in his prime.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Best thing about rookies is that you have 4 free years to assess before making a bigger commitment to them. Unfortunately, for our older guys that's no longer the case. They have to start showing what they're made of if they want big extensions. That's why I didn't mind cutting Garuba, JC, and Tyty, none of whom have played significant minutes this year.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think putting "can't stay healthy" on Amen is a little unfair at this point. Spraining a couple of ankles and getting one virus is not exactly a predictive pattern--could easily just be bad luck. His brother hasn't had such problems, and they're otherwise very similar physically.

Other than that I think you're pretty much spot-on.

Also, I want to point out the only one of these guys who isn't a typical age for a rookie is Tari, and even then he's only 22, some rookies do still come into the league at that age (not many in the first round though). We drafted very young players. Lot of physical and mental development that still has to happen around that age range. It isn't the 90s where you'd draft 21 and 22 year olds and they'd already be entering their prime in year 3.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's best to forever treat them as rookies so that there's an excuse for why they suck. It won't hurt those who are actually quality players and those who are trash really need it.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

I think Lamelo had something like 5 ankle injuries in the span of last 14 months.
    11/26/23 Ankle
    2/27/23 Ankle
    1/18/23 Ankle
    11/16/22 Ankle
    10/11/22 Ankle​

For Lamelo, their reporters speculates whether is the bad Baller shoes, genetics or whatever else. And unlike Steph, he tried the ankle brace during practice, but doesn't wear it in game. He says he doesn't like it, feels uncomfortable.

As far as I know, the two ankle incidents for Amen were different ankle (which is good). But it also means, if he injures his ankle a 3rd time, it'll be a repeat (which is concerning).

Some player run, land from jumps, making turns differently, he should at least look at it to see if it is the way he plays (at least rule it out), as opposed to (by default) to say it is just a freak accident.