1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hhh345, Jul 26, 2013.

1. hhh345

hhh345 Member

The MacBook Pro Retina is on special right now for 1199 for students with an edu.mail, should I get that one or wait for the new refresh of macs. I'm in the market for a laptop for college but not sure which one to get?

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

what's your major? if it's anything related to arts/music/film etc. go mac, but if you're doing business or anything like that i would STRONGLY recommend a PC

3. hhh345

hhh345 Member

majoring in accounting, but i never had a pc so not sure if thats the route to go.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

considering the amount you're going to be using excel and other programs and having to submit stuff I would suggest a PC, at least speaking from the experiences my friends who are in the MPA program at UT have. I'm sure you'll get by with a mac since I'm many people do it, but it'll be easier with a PC and for that money you can get a fantastic PC laptop that will work for all of your school needs as well as anything else you might like such as gaming or media

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The MacBook Air is a pretty nice option if you value portability. Depends on what you're going to use your laptop for. But all the reports regarding the battery life has been great for the new MacBook Air's thus far with the Haswell chips.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely a good deal, though Macbooks's are definitely more expensive than your average PC. If you're willing to pay, then that Macbook seems like a good option. Also...the new line of Macbook's just came out about a year ago if I remember correctly, so you'll be pretty up to date if that's the route you go.

I wouldn't worry too much about PC vs. Mac. If you want a PC, there's advantages, and if you want a Mac, there's advantages, but when it comes down to it, you'll be able to accomplish whatever you want to accomplish on either machine. It really just depends on which one you like and your price range. I know many who prefer PC, and many who prefer Macbooks.

I have a Macbook Pro and am majoring in Marketing. You'll be fine either way.

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

where do you see the deal? and is there a deal on non retina screens?

8. platypus

platypus Member

I wouldn't recommend a retina solely on the fact that you can't upgrade it in the future.

Macbooks are very versatile laptops and I use mine with both windows and OSX. However i did upgrade my mac significantly.

However if that's not such a big deal for you then I'd pull the trigger. Its a great laptop!

9. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What is it regular price?