1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Facebook Segregated? If So, Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 27, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

Well good for you.

And you felt the need to share this why?

amaru likes this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

We don’t have much of a choice. White America reminds black people of our “other” status daily.

Nook likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You think about those people while hard? Weird flex but ok.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Since I don't have a lot of Facebook friends, I went ahead and counted. 58% of my friends there are non-hispanic white, 14% black (or mixed black), 10% hispanic, and smatterings of others. A bit segregated.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Icelandic ?
    [​IMG]

Native american?
    [​IMG]
    maybe.

Seriously I have a facebook for a long time and never once noticed how many black white etc. SAD

Op looking obsessing on something not there

TIRED

BruceAndre likes this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This. I seem to recall a speech saying that we should focus on the content of character rather than skin pigmentation.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obsessing? Its just an observation

8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have friends of all races / adult ages as FB friends. I don't write about or respond to controversial stuff on FB or comment on news feeds. I just use FB to keep up with what is going on in my friends and families lives.

TheresTheDagger and pgabriel like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is that roughly the percentage of your real world friends?

10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I was born in Algeria. Speak French and Arabic. Nobody in my family is or has ever been religious and I have no interest in religion. I hate the far right equally as the far left. I look like Zinedine Zidande but if i grow a beard I look like a terrorist. What is the makeup of my fiends list supposed to be like?

IBTL likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

Nah, you can't split one guy up that way.

There's just a few circles represented in my facebook friends. Family, but my family is very diverse, so I get several black contacts like that, and a few Chinese as well as white. Childhood friends, who are mostly hispanic. B-school friends, where white and South Asian predominate. Family friends (that is, families with kids my kids' age) who are mostly white or mixed or Jewish. I don't have coworkers on there or people I only barely know. I don't have people on there just to play Farmville or anything like that. I actually purged the people who were insufficiently close a while back (to my wife's horror). So, yeah it probably does roughly reflect my life (except my b-school friends whom I don't much see anymore).

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ben and Jerry's ice cream spent more on facebook advertising last week than all but five of the 2020 presidential candidates:

" . . . only President Trump, former Vice President Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Co.), and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) spent more on their ads than Ben & Jerry's from May 20 to 26."​

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8439...ds-last-week-than-nearly-every-2020-candidate

13. HTM

HTM Member

I still prefer Baskin Robbins. Didn't work B&J.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Since starting this thread and thinking about it, i guess in America we want to strive for diversity but we engage with what we are comfortable and familiar with and therefore its no big deal that Facebook is like that.

Also America is known for its diversity and for most other places diversity isnt an issue

#34 pgabriel, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  15. JuanValdez

Does it make any sense at all to compare political campaign advertising to product advertising? This feels like how the hoaxers try to downplay Russian interference in 2016 by tabulating what they spent on facebook advertising, as if that was any kind of worthwhile metric.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But MrsValdez has apparently dropped Clutchfans

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

...and you started this thread. My observation is black people in usa are obsessed with talking black white.

18. TheresTheDagger

I predict FB will be a shell of what it is now in 10 years. I know many of my family and friends who either never started or dumped it in the last 1.5 years. I would have too except that I have some business contacts I maintain there only and am not willing to lose them just yet. I rarely post there though and check like weekly. It's mostly ads and people posting political bs now.

19. JuanValdez

Probably not because of the white people. It's a sausagefest here.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Other people in this forum of different races have started threads on race within the last month. I think you're seeing what you want to see

IBTL likes this.