1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Everyone Happy With The Texans #1 Pick Yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by imoffg33, Nov 9, 2006.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

One or two more drafts like the one we just had, and I see this Texans team turning into a defensive powerhouse in a few years -- led by Mario and Demeco. If Mario becomes as dominant as we all think he could be, and Demeco becomes our very own Urlacher -- all we need is some backfield upgrades and teams will start to dread playing against us every week.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They should have had a draft similiar to this one as their FIRST draft, starting with Peppers.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with this 100%......

DD

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I'll hold off judgement until the end of the season.

Right now from what i've seen from everyone, I would have not re-signed carr to his extension, traded down, picked up an extra 1st rounder and taken Matt Leinart, demeco Ryans and Manny Lawson.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Unfortunately they couldn't trade down to the spot they wanted and still get Mario. Despite all the talk that the Saints would've taken AJ Hawk, the Texans weren't sure and wanted to take what they considered the best defensive player in the draft.

Mario is starting to look great on the field and as you can tell by some of the other posts, he is slowly winning people over. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Bush is a flop, but he is a victim of his own hype.

As far as Sean Salisbury talking about Mario having to be dominant all the time, thats just plain stupid. MW is still a rookie and still learning the NFL game.

If the Texans have another strong draft like this past one come April then they could be a darkhorse team for the playoffs next season.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Are you freakin kidding me? Hold off till the end of the season? I guess there was some other Mario Williams you were talking about when you said:

And this is only halfway thru a single thread...shall I continue to search?

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Someone just got owned.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^

Ouch....

9. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Behad, are you saying that Mario Williams has tore it up and is proving that he was #1 overall pick material? He honestly hasn't done much. He is showing improvement, but lets hold off on being obsessive and going back in time searching for all my posts. I still haven't seen Williams do anything much other than a few good plays against the giants and a pretty cool jump shot mockery. Thats about IT. But i'll hold off judgement right now before I decide if it was a good pick. If you want me to make a decision NOW, then I say no, he was not worthy of being the #1 overall pick.

And this is only halfway thru a single thread...shall I continue to search?[/QUOTE]

10. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Troll, you started the Reggie Bush Bust thread and you follow me around. You may want to consider getting a life. Not sure what your motives are, but Demeco would have been a better #1 pick than Mario as of right now. If your stance is that Mario was worthy of a #1 overall pick at this point in the season you are wrong.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

My post had absolutely nothing to do with Mario Williams. I rarely read or post anymore, but even I still know you were seriously contridicting yourself when you said "I'll hold off judgement till the end of the season." All you've done is judge MW negatively with every post you've made up to this point.

Just shows how much you like to talk out your ass....

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

After breaking things down and doing due analysis of the key players I resolved that picking Reggie Bush was going to be a mistake. I even went as far as saying that he will likely be a bust but some folks said that I was out of my mind because some wisecrack pundit said he was the next GSayers.

So for me, it was anybody but Reggie Bush.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, I'm not "following you around" anymore than anyone else here is. You post your pro-Bush/anti-Mario nonsense all over the Texan threads (as pointed out by Behad), which I frequent since I'm a Texan fan, and then when someone calls you on it, you accuse them of "following you around".

I think everyone here would agree that most of your posts on this bbs are just trying to provoke people, the definition of a troll. I don't think I've ever seen you post in the GARM. Are you even a Rockets fan?

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

jgreen91, man, just let it go... enjoy reading our happiness, man. :)

DUDES, I am happy with our #1 pick and I was happy since the beginning. I would have been happy no matter whom the management had picked, although I wanted VINCE. I thought Vince could have been a good pickup under Kubiak, so he could shape the talent that needed a little chiseling.

All in all, I am a person who respects that I really have no say so in choosing something that only someone else has the power. Just like voting, I can't complain if someone else wins. It was done, and I live with it. I don't get pissed that "someone makes a mistake." I learn to live with it. I cheer on my TEXANS no matter who we pick.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]

1 question: since you like to hold off judgement now only b/c Mario Williams has stepped up his game and made your statements look idiotic while Bush has pretty much done crap, is Bush worthy of the number 1 pick?

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'll NEVER be happy with what they did. Regardless of how good Mario ever becomes, the Texans could have traded down and still gotten their man + extras.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Saints lost Darren Howard...there was more than a decent chance that they would have selected Mario with the 2nd pick had we chosen to trade down.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Are you using that as a knock on Mario? Because its not. If the draft was repeated, you'd see DeMeco taken before many of the first rounders drafted ahead of him.

As far as our selection of Mario with the first pick...Initially, when I heard the news, I was shocked and disappointed. For so long, I had automatically envisioned Bush in the backfield with AJ and Moulds as our receivers. I was pissed for a few days. But, I began to understand that you win with defense. Our defense blew nuts, so the best way to improve is to take a stud DE. After the first few preseason games, I was worried about Mario...He literally showed me nothing to get excited about. I remained hopeful, but I would be lying if I said I didnt have doubts. Anyways, he's showing me what Ive wanted to see out of him. As every week goes by, I see the development in his game and I can now see the potential in him. Im excited about our defense and I look forward to another strong draft which can make this team competitive on a weekly basis.

Bottomline...Mario was the right pick for the Texans at #1.

19. compucomp

compucomp Member

[/QUOTE]

No, jgreen91, you got owned. Period. You were the loudest supported of Reggie Bush, so now you've got to pay the price. It doesn't matter what anyone says about Mario, it's what you said about Bush that blew up in your face. If I were you, I would lie low until Bush starts performing.

20. TexasSportsFan4

I'm happy with Mario. I actually got an authentic Mario jersey, no way I'm wearing a Carr.