1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Everyone Happy With The Texans #1 Pick Yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by imoffg33, Nov 9, 2006.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

This is a Houston pro sports fan website, so don't be surprised when we call out the enemy and traitors.

DIE VINCE YOUNG DIE!!!!

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really, suggesting someone might eventually be benched if is over the top. What do you think about DaDa's posts then? If I was bizarro DaDa I would be saying VY should be traded for Matt Schaub or something.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right, we all do it.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Well some people earlier in the season thought I was crazy for thinking Vince Young or David Carr might ever be in the same league or eventually better than Eli Manning. That they all had promise (of course I think VY has the most) but they all had unknowns. I said then I had not seen any QB playing on a good team look as bad at times (and flat cost his team some wins) as Eli Manning over the last 2+ years. Ya'll thought I was from the moon or something. It is fine to be over the top, when you are right they call you a visionary ;)

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Chad thought Mario killed him.

Sigh of Relief After Pennington Shakes Off Hard Hit

By KAREN CROUSE
    Published: November 27, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Nov. 26 — A hush fell over Giants Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Inside the circle that closed around Jets quarterback Chad Pennington’s crumpled form, receiver Jerricho Cotchery did not like what he was hearing.

“My heart dropped,” Cotchery said. “He was making noises, the kind you don’t ever want to hear. I didn’t even want to go over there.”

A third-year pro, Cotchery had watched Pennington come back from two career-threatening shoulder operations, and for several seconds during the third quarter of the Jets’ 26-11 victory against the Houston Texans, he thought Pennington’s injury-plagued career was taking another wretched turn.

With 6 minutes 20 seconds left in the quarter, Cotchery caught a 4-yard pass that Pennington threw with defensive end Jason Babin wrapped around his ankles. As soon as the ball left Pennington’s fingertips, he absorbed a blind-side hit from the Texans’ other defensive end, Mario Williams, the first player selected in last spring’s draft. Pennington toppled to the ground as if he were a tall tree that had been axed.

“My arm was caught up underneath me and that was what knocked the wind out of me,” Pennington said.

With the Jets’ passing game stalled in recent weeks, Pennington was buried by critics in the days leading to the game, and as he lay gasping for air, there was a split second when he said he wondered if he was indeed on the verge of a very public, very painful death.

“I thought I wasn’t going to make it,” Pennington said afterward. He sounded as if he were only half-joking. “If anyone has ever had that done, you know it is the worst thing in the world. You’re sitting there like: ‘Oh my goodness. I’m not going to make it through this.’ ”

The first teammate to reach his side was receiver Laveranues Coles, who said, “He had me kind of scared for a second, to be honest.”

Coles, Pennington’s closest friend on the team, had spent a good part of the previous week defending Pennington’s play and their professional rapport, at one point saying, “I would take my last breath and give it to him.”

Fortunately, it would not come to that. After a tense 30 seconds that Pennington said felt like an hour, he got his breath back. He rose, shook his shoulders to make sure there were no loose parts, then walked off the field on his own power, to thunderous applause.

On his way to the sideline, Pennington raised his arms like a symphony conductor, directing the crowd to get louder, its cheering veritable music to his ears after the scattered jeers that dogged him during his performance the week before, when he threw for 163 yards with two interceptions in a 10-0 loss to Chicago.

“I was happy that I was breathing again and that I was alive,” Pennington said. “And I wanted to let the crowd know that I was O.K..”

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mateo.. ready for the Sunday night national television debut of Jay Cutler?

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

FLOORED!!!!!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is a Bizzarro me? What about a facsilli Mr. Clutch?

DD

9. Buck Turgidson

Is that like a facsimilie of fusilli?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't be an A$$man !

;)

LOL - I never spell check.....obviously !

DD

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm wanting to plan a trip to a Denver game :)

12. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I think Mario will end up something like Richard Seymour or former Bronco, now Raven, Trevor Pryce. Not a whole lot of big sack #s but those 2 are widely regarded as 2 of the best DEs in the NFL.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think one of the problems is that many are going to judge Mario only on the # of sacks he gets. While thats an important stat, there are a lot of things Mario/DE/DL do that dont' show up on stat sheets but are just as important.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That would be really stupid, and short-sighted.

The key is, how is the defense doing OVERALL... since week 1, the defense has vastly improved, and this is almost directly in tune with Mario's improvement.

They still need to do a better job at pressuring the QB, especially since they have no talent at the safety positions to prevent the deep pass. They're solid at defending the run, and if another D-lineman can step up when Mario is routinely double teamed, they'll be just fine.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's why I really want Alan Branch out of Michigan. At 6-6 300+, the guy is going to command some attention, he also has very good quickness for his size and can get to the QB. Only having 1 good defensive lineman is like having 1 good WR, double team them and the problem is solved.