1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ersan Ilyasova (UFA) a "McHale" type of guy to pair with Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROX_fan_CT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Ersan Ilyasova (UFA), 6'10", 235 lbs

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/free_agency_preview_part_ii_p_2012_05_21.html

The basics: 13 ppg, 8.8 rpg, .7 bpg, .492 FG%, .781 FT%, .455 3-PT%, 20.55 PER

Advanced stats: 17.6 rebound rate (11th among qualifying PFs), 22.8 defensive rebound rate (14th), 12.7 offensive rebound rate (11th), 8.6 assist rate (48th), 9.2 turnover rate (18th)

Shooting percentages by location: At rim: 60.3%, 3-9 feet: 39%, 10-15 feet: 39.5%, 16-23 feet: 40%

Noteworthy Synergy stats: Offense: Pick-and-roll roll man: .883 ppp (34th percentile), Spot-ups: 1.131 ppp (91st percentile), Cuts: 1.318 ppp (78th), Transition: 1.277 ppp (73rd)

Defense: as big defender dealing with the PNR ball-handler: .915 ppp (24th percentile), Spot-ups: .974 ppp (38th percentile), Post-ups: .709 ppp (80th percentile), as big defender dealing with PNR roll man: .711 ppp (74th percentile), Isolations: .714 ppp (68th percentile)

The general public might not be familiar with Ilyasova's name or game, but rest assured NBA execs around the league know that the 25-year-old Turk is a player that demands their full attention. A monster on the glass and a marksman from beyond the arc, Ilyasova came on strong during the second half of the season, producing some eye-popping stat lines such as the one he posted February 19 against New Jersey when he exploded for 29 points and 25 rebounds. He is at his best as a pick-and-pop player on the offensive end and a post-defender at the other, perfectly happy to bang down low and embrace physical play, while being less effective on the perimeter where his average mobility leaves him more vulnerable and exposed. Still, Ilyasova took a massive step forward in his fourth NBA season and if he can maintain that level of excellence or, for that matter, surpass it going forward he promises to be one of the best pick-ups of the 2012 offseason.

BTW THEY BOTH PLAY FOR THE TURKISH NATIONAL TEAM:

http://eneskanterlive.blogspot.com/2011/09/turkish-national-basketball-team-2011.html

A YOUNG, BIG, stretch 4 that can rebound and bang down low.

Dragic
    Lee
    Parsons
    Ilyasova
    Asik

Its not a championship team but a young hard nosed tough devensive team. YES we would still need a star or a "go-to" player, but this is a damn good start...

Thoughts ???

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I would love Ersan on our team. He's one of the most underrated players in the league. I just don't see us coming up with cap space to sign him. Plus, if we tried a sign and trade, what would Milwaukee want for him?

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Good fantasy player ^_^

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I love this kid...and he would be an excellent addition to this team...Seriously...he is a legit PF

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like him alot, and i'm not one of these fans that is angry about our glut at power forward. The way i see it, we need talent first, then we worry about how that fits into our roster/rotation. However; at $10 mil a year Llyasova is over the top (not that he isn't worth it). I just don't see us freeing up enough cap space to get him and still do all of the other things we need to do this offseason. I think we have plenty of options to fill out our 4 spot with the guys currently on the roster. No way Houston goes after him.

6. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Good player. He'd be a nice pickup.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

White?: Check.

Tall?: Check.

Forward?: Check.

He's a "McHale" type of player.

2 people like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's the market like for Ersan? What kind of contract is he likely to get?

9. Numero.Uno

Numero.Uno Member

I would love to grab this guy. If we could land him, Morey would really need to get moving on trading as many PF's as he could (leaving us with one or maybe two remaining from the current crop that we have).

10. Garner

Garner Member

I'm all in on the Ice Truck Killer.

11. Numero.Uno

Numero.Uno Member

If Houston can re-sign Dragic, that would be 4 white starters. That has to be some sort of record post 1970.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting player, but we're currently loaded at that spot, he can't block a shot to save his life, and is not anything to write home about passing the ball. Wouldn't mind having him, wouldn't mind at all if we needed another 4 and he was a bargain, but we'd have to clear out some room on the roster to even think about picking him up. Not jumping up and down and doing cartwheels over Ilyasova.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

With Motiejunas coming I see no point.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is worth a lot more than Asik, imo.
    DD

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Ily is win, we just have too many forwards, sadly. If he were to sign, it would be he and donuts, everyone else would have to be traded (that's a lot of PF's to trade).

16. Garner

Garner Member

It would be nice if this is who Parsons developed into

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

NO MORE POWER FORWARDS...

Unless it is someone like Kevin Love or Lamarcus Aldridge.

18. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Might as well come full circle and sign Hedo Turkoglu and Mehmet Okur as well.

Welcome to your 2013 Turkish Rockets

19. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

I agree with everyone that we would clean house in "the forwards" position, but ask yourself is he better than what we have:?

Parsons > Ilyasova
    Patterson < Ilyasova
    Scola < Ilyasova
    White ? Ilyasova
    Jones ? Ilyasova
    D-Mo ? Ilyasova
    Brockman < Ilyasova
    Leuer < Ilyasova

Clearly you get rid of Scola, but Brockman and Leuer can go too. Thats 3 down.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So, you want another PF?
    [​IMG]