1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Dipo Duping??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 7, 2021.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'll admit it, I haven't seen any Pacers games this year and I had not been keeping up with Oladipo at all until he landed on our doorsteps, so this tweet piqued my curiosity! Was Dipo playing better for the pacers before he was traded to the Rockets? If so, is he intentionally trying to dupe the Rockets into believing that he's not a good fit here and needs to be traded before the deadline? The idea is not that far-fetched considering we just witnessed a similar scenario firsthand with one of our ex-players! Playing below your skillset disrupts and underminds what the team is trying to accomplish and has proven affective in getting yourself traded to another team.

Before we get into the stats I want to say that I'm not oblivious to the fact that we've been playing exciting basketball and that we've been winning the majority of the games since Oladipo arrived, but the stats and eye test tell us that the wins have been mostly because of what Wood/Tate/Nwaba/Brown and Wall have been doing on the basketball floor!

All stats of Victor Oladipo are from Espn:

Pacers........................................ Rockets
    9 GP ........................................... 8 GP
    33.3 min...................................... 31.8 min
    20.0 pts....................................... 20.8 pts
    5.7 reb......................................... 4.5 reb
    4.2 ast......................................... 5.1 ast
    1.7 stl.......................................... 1.1 stl
    0.2 blk......................................... 0.6 blk
    2.0 to........................................... 2.5 to
    2.6 pf........................................... 2.1 pf
    16. 24 per....................................14.87 per

7.1fgm........................................ 7.9 fgm
    16.9 fga...................................... 19.9 fga
    42.1 fg%..................................... 39.6 fg%
    2.8 3pm....................................... 2.4 3pm
    7.7 3pa........................................ 7.6 3pa
    36.2 3p%..................................... 31.1 3p%
    3.0 ftm......................................... 2.6 ftm
    4.1 fta.......................................... 3.5 fta
    73.0 ft%....................................... 75.0%

These are pure stats that don't show if the player was being double-teamed or when he recorded the stat, such as when a player makes a basket in crunch time or playing garbage time at the end of a blowout.

After seeing the stats, the only things that differ are that his PER went down, he's taking 3 more shots (2pointers) per game, his FG% went down, and his 3pt efficiency has gone WAY DOWN to 31% which goes hand in hand with his PER going down!

Apart from 3pt efficiency going down he's pretty much the same player that the Pacers had before the trade! Having said that, I still have a feeling that he's trying to dupe the Rockets into trading him! Bird Rights baby, Bird Rights! Or maybe my gut feeling is just gas, could go either way! ;)

Go Rockets!!!

2. DLT

DLT Member

Nah. He's just not all the way right since his injury and may never be again. He still looks somewhat explosive though so hopefully he gets it back

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is Dipo duping? indubitably

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a expiring contract, that's all. He is wasting our time.

5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's been trash since injury. When I saw him in the preseason this year I honestly thought he was ready to retire. He's actually been better on the Rockets than the Pacers. The problem really just is, he knows this is just a pitstop and he's playing selfishly for his next contract.

DCHAMP, BamBam, chadyang and 6 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Unlike Royce, dude can sing and is talented and can survive being a singer.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

patrick needs to talk to his dude fr

Patience, BamBam and Nook like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah it doesnt make sense for Dipo to dupe anyone cuz he wants a max deal in the summer. He can tough it out in Houston or which ever team he lands on but if he plays bad then its bye bye to a lot of dough.

If anything he is playing like a scrub cuz he is playing too selfishly in an attempt to pad his stats and inflate his value.

He needs to settle down and look for quality shots instead of taking too many shots and just hoping enough of them go in..

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

It seems, 7 outta 10 games, dipo would not show up as a factor. Based on his performance in rockets jersey, i dunt think he worth a big contact.
    But if we gonna move on to push the trade button…a big QUESTION is who the hell we could swap dipo for, who the hell we could bring in to impact the game right away, jell well w/ wood, wall, ego to ran for a playoff seed.
    I believe we got few choices if we narrow names down, there only handful of players in the league now worth for a ran as well as deemed as disposable by teams who are in bad situation n ready for a talk.

BamBam likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

even in Indiana, Oladipo simply wasn’t that good this year...his shooting percentages were better, but his efficiency was still way below average

Indy was 5-4 in the games they played with Dipo, and they’re 7-7 without him, but that record would’ve been better if Levert wasn’t out

Dipo hasn’t been good since the injury...hopefully he gets dealt for whatever assets we can get

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  11. conquistador#11

Could be true but even when he dribbles up court he doesn't pay attention to his surroundings. 4 times in one game, the defender coming down on defense poked the ball away from behind.

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Dipo aint duping he just sucks. lol

He doesnt fit this current team, He needs to be somewhere like Miami around 2 stars, hes a glorfied role player who can put up some 20's , aka Eric Gordon on Roids. Id just trade him asap.

BamBam likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seems like there's almost no difference between these #s not within the range of normal noise.

Doesn't seem like he's that good anymore.

#13 SamFisher, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    BamBam likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is who he is. Numbers are a bit low for him, but not abnormally low. Plus, he's playing for his next contract/team so maybe he is pressing a little. I think his play has been surprising only to people who didn't know much about him.

DonKnock, Htown Stros, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Bam - Thanks for the research and posting the stats--they are intriguing. It's an interesting thought, but its not to his advantage to play bad in a contract year or especially if he wants to be traded. From just the eyeball test, when he plays in rhythm he's been good, but when he tries to force or iso he has issues. He was really out of sync last night and just couldn't get going.

Personally, I believe its a factor of him still coming back from the injury and trying to understand what his body can and can't do. Add that to trying to fit into a new team that has a really fluid and actually unstable line-up, and he's having some adjustment problems.

One thing I'm curious about is why the take the ball out of his hands when Wall is out. Seems like the first game he played better with the ball in his hand. Gordon is not a natural PG or ballhandler and I'd rather Vic initiate the offense (when Wall is on the bench). Just my opinion.

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

He really isn’t that good anymore.

There is a reason the Pacers were so willing to trade him, even accepting someone that has a serious medical condition and is out indefinitely.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rafael Stone needs a meeting with Victor Oladipo during the Trade Deadline Next Month.

Hopefully get a 1st Rd Pick for him.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

My frustration with Oladipo this year hasn't even been his individual play vs the past. I've been disappointed that he's not quite the combo guard he has been billed as. He is a SG with a handle but his court vision and passing ability isn't special. And, I don't mean he's looking for his own shot too much, which is true. I mean, when he is actually looking to pass it goes poorly. He can't do lobs and often missed the open man for a covered guy seconds later.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oladipo is your tank commander. :rolleyes:

DonKnock, roxallways, vator and 3 others like this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

dude just can't hit a layup.

Htown Stros and DeBeards like this.