1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Darly Morey an overrated GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Oct 21, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You need 20 more games to figure out MCW and Melo are bad after watching them be bad for multiple years?

YOLO, cheke64, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it will take MDA a little longer, because he is somewhat more stubborn than I thought.

I dun think Melo is that bad to be honest with you, he did score 16 ppg for OKC and he was not at his best.

I think he should get to 14-15 or more if he finds himself.

But he could also end up like Iso Joe, which I dun wish for him.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ring counting is the most overrated criterion for greatness in a team sport.

ak99999, topfive and hakeem94 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depends on how the rings have been won.....eras change.

Easy likes this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Oh word? How did work out with Josh Smith? How did that work with Patrick Beverley? Players work better in our system.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So Lebron is GOAT?

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) Josh Smith was never a member of D'Antoni's teams in Houston, so that's a strange example for a "system player"

2) Maybe you're right. Maybe Melo and MCW will be great players for us. But I'll go ahead and choose the mountains of evidence saying otherwise as opposed to blind hope.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I had written out a long winded response.

But no, let me just stop myself right there.

I'm shaking my head at you mentioning Presti.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hey, Jennie is in that shot too! Haha

Can't wait for January 5th!

topfive likes this.
  10. Wylo

Wylo Member

GM's reputation should change according to his annual performance, just like players do. Nobody is denying that Morey's track record is pretty good, although I wouldn't call it great (too many acquisition of declining 'superstars'.) But during this offseason he definitely messed up, and it will hurt his standing as a top 5 GM if he doesn't do anything to fix the situation.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's dumb. The abilities that enable someone to be a great GM do not naturally decline like an athlete. Jerry West has been one of the best in the business for what? 40 years?

But more than that, if we're evaluating Morey by his annual track record he has won 66 of his last 85 regular season games and you should, by your own standard, give him at least the season before you start calling for his job. But I saw you in game 1 saying he and D'Antoni should be fired.

#111 Williamson, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    HP3 likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not easy making all pieces of the NBA team puzzle fit together.

Salary cap intricacies forced Rockets to go cheaper than Ariza and Luc MaM. Just like when they went cheaper going Ariza over Parsons contract.

I didn’t want to give up Covington or Troy Williams or Melton......but sometimes you need to clear room to slide
    another piece into place (because of salary cap limits and roster spots).

Comes down to players willing to take less money to play together:
    Parsons, Ariza, Luc MaM, Beverley, DMo -vs- Durant, Iggy, Cousins

Can’t pay everyone “Big Bucks”

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sure, context is important. Winning championships is of course important. What irks me is too many people just blindly use it as a be all standard for measuring greatness. There are many, many factors that determine champions that are out of an individual's control in a team sport, no matter how great the player/coach/GM is.

daywalker02 and topfive like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is definitely in the conversation. But GOAT is quite subjective due to the differences between eras.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

CFers in late June: "We came up short and can't just roll out the same team next year. Morey has to do something!"

CFers now: "Overrated GM Morey made changes to a legit title contender because he can't stop himself! And he only knows numbers, not real basketball! Now we suck and this season is already hopeless!"
    Exactly. If LeBron didn't feel like he owed the city of Cleveland a good shot at a title, then David Griffin doesn't look nearly as good as a GM. In fact, you could argue that the players he put on that roster made it harder for LeBron to get the job done. Just because his team won a title doesn't make him a better GM than Morey.

Easy likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

1) I’m referring to Morey’s system

2) Mountain of evidence? It’s 3 games. 1 without Paul. They both have to completely change their style.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

He's such a good GM I'd let him take over the Texans in a heartbeat.

RHU525 and Deckard like this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's almost like they're not a good fit for the team then

Cashmoney and KlutchQT like this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We are looking bad this year.
    I do not have much hope right now that we will be anywhere near as good as last year.

However, if we had Ariza and Luc still on this team instead of Ennis, we would still have signed Melo, and we still would have gotten our asses handed to us by the Pelicans. We also still would have played the Clippers on a second night of a back to back after a close Lakers game. Chances are we would still be 1-2 but maybe best case scenario 2-1 :eek:

Long story short: bringing Ariza and Luc back would not have made us better than last year

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not when you're responsible for putting the team together.