1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Darly Morey an overrated GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Oct 21, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

He doesn't have an explanation he just said its not his job to make the impossible possible it's Morey's LOL

Rocket River likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He could have traded Beverly for Cp3, Harrell for Lebron and Dekker for Kawhi according to OP. How? It's Morey's job to think of that lol

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

I posted this before the MCW news that the rockets should go after a guy like Jeff Green. He atleast fits the mold per say of what the rockets do. Theres absolutely nothing that mcw as a player does that fits this team and probably one of morey's worst moves by far

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

MCW was signed for the minimum..... if he is "one of the worst moves" then that says something about how good Morey is as a GM.

I would be fine with Green, but he isn't a good player...... he doesn't shoot well from 3, he doesn't rebound and he doesn't defend well. He is 6'9" which is nice from a size perspective, but that is about it.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the $ part is no excuse for an acqusition. I dont look at it in those terms. if a player sucks, they suck and trying to justifying it with hes signed for minimum isn't a logic that helps a team actually win. Green isn't that good of a player but he still would contribute a whole lot more in limited minutes than anything mcw does. mcw is just a body on the floor that hou is forcing themselves to play atm. Green's a athletic, versatile vet and can hit from 3 at a decent clip.

its widely understood that rubio would not be a ideal fit on this team, yet people actually tried to make themselves believe mcw was going to be? mcw is even worse than rubio

6. Nook

Nook Member

You should look at the asset allocation of a player when assessing their value. The Rockets have nothing invested in MCW. He is someone that is capable of defending multiple spots on occasion, that is it. That is why he cost the Rockets........ the minimum.

Of course Rubio is a better player than MCW, and he costs exponentially more than MCW as a result.

I have no real problem with MCW being on the back of the bench. He is paid based on his anticipated performance within the industry.

I don't really think that Green would be helping anymore either, like MCW, he has a track record of being a low level performer.

If you have a problem with the Rockets not using their limited assets on a back up guard like Tyus Jones, then I can understand that. However, based on the limited options out there for the back up guard spot, attacking the signing of MCW is really odd to me.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't find it odd at all. the rockets went the route of not paying the likes of proven players that were within a game of the nba finals, while filling it with "value" journeyman that aren't good. Green has actual attributes the rockets can use. MCW does not

The invested logic is just weird. What they have invested is a wasted year of harden/cp3 and the rest of this rockets older team and get that much further away from a championship

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

CP3 trade was great .
    Talking about missing Harrel is stupid.

But 2018 moves are the problem.
    Again, not resigning Ariza was a big mistake. Why not a 3 years 30 million contract.
    Carmelo for the minimum is Ok, but he cost us Bzedelik.
    Our Team need a bench, we need more bigs.
    Ennis is Ok, but he is not a starter.
    This was a Terrible offseason .

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I still say we're getting ahead of ourselves. Ryan Anderson's dogs*** contract was turned into two players whose absence either hurts the rotation or, more likely, indicates a near-future trade. Draft picks can be used, perhaps EGO. A better starter at either forward slot will also solidify the bench (and a better backup option for CP3 for those occasions when a player spits on him).

napalm06 likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tillman is an overrated "billionaire."

J.R. likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Jesus Christ. So every thread today gonna be like this?

The sky has already fallen?

No one knee jerks like Clutchfans knee jerks

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Darly Morey has caught on. I haven't seen it in ANY other threads.

J.R. likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

My response is above. Thank you @roslolian

roslolian likes this.
  14. StevieCrossover

3 games into the season and already questioning the Great Morey.

Yes Melo need his own team, but he will eventually find his role.

Cp3 is an allstar, he is unfortunately out for a few games.

We have star power but still have a few gaps but you play with what you have.

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im alluding to the common belief that our gm is genius, because thread asks if he is overrated. Im not comparing him to Divac type of GM but to the top ones like Ainge and Presti

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You put Presti ahead of Morey?

Rocket River

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Morey is one of the best GM's in sports and certainly in the NBA. Yes he hasn't won the big one yet, but he will. All i know is we are lucky to have him and we are not gonna upgrade at the GM spot.

heypartner likes this.
  18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Damn y’all need to give this team time to gel.

1. First off they are in cruise control and need to pick it up.

2. The reason the moves don’t make sense because Morey is playing 3 Dimensional chess while everyone else is playing checkers. Who in the league saw Melo at the 5?

3. Yes, maybe the moves work on paper but not in reality but Morey has done enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. I’ll make judegments at the 20 game mark.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The owner being cheap has nothing to do with Morey as a GM. I think he wanted to sign Ariza and Luc but financially could not.

Also please explain how we trade for CP3 without Lou Williams needed his salary to match contracts.. Morey tried to keep Motrez but clippers wanted him.

20. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Morey probably underestimated the shift in the league dynamics. Every team saw our playbook and they're doing a better job at its implementation.

Now, I think every team is using the Rockets and Warriors as vindication and have circled our games. So we should expect the best from every team every night.