1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Darly Morey an overrated GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Oct 21, 2018.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

I think he is. He is the one that was big on MCW and Ennis, dimnished Luc. Gave Capela 80 with DeAndre in the FA... and he always 'has eyes on' the next star on the trade block but somehow they always end up somewhere else for penauts. I mean Harden is his biggest trade but apart from that he didn't trade for someone big ever (CP wanted to come to Rockets after Harden recruit him and there was no bidding war with other teams)

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is a good GM but there are certain obvious things he completely misses because of bias.

His obsession with a low efficiency and selfish player like Melo has always baffled me. Basketball gods have saved him for years on that quest but this year even they gave up.

Bosh was another one. Basketball gods saved us there as well. While Bosh was a much better player than Melo, he was still not suited for the second man role that Morey had him lined up for.

This year, it is his hubris. He thinks that we can plug any scrub in this lineup and that they will become awesome because of our awesome system and awesome players.

Hubris and miscalculation has downgraded this team compared to last year.

tierre_brown and bmelo like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Other GMs just caught up - almost no village idiots among them to fleece.

He rarely gets talent by drafting no more - a system the league was built on.

So he is assembling tons of players that are beyond 24-25 years of age. Older players or scrub players.

Surely some would decline rather sooner than later.

#43 daywalker02, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Actually, it's the opinions of unpaid amateur fans that are overrated (by the fans themselves). The monetary value of their opinions is zero, and the consequences of their opinions are none.

Rocket River and hakeem94 like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

just because someone didn't go pro in something doesn't mean he don't know the game. basketball isn't complicated too

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

DM is fantastic but results matter. Ainge didnt luck into a ring with KG and Ray Allen signings. He was wise. He outsmarted Brooklyn and fleeced them. He has nailed his recent draft picks. He knew Tatum was the best player in the draft and was able to trade back and still got him. Flipped IT for Kyrie. Took a chance on a young college coach in Brad Stevens who winds up being a boy wonder. He has a current roster built to compete for championships for the next decade.I could keep going lol.

Morey is a genius and we are lucky to have him. Ainge is just on a different level. He doesnt take silly chances on players who dont fit the current Celtic culture, and in recent years he has rarely missed.

xaos and hakeem94 like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Simple. He would trade Harrell for Anthony Davis and Williams for Kawhi and then Vp3 will sign in FA fir 5 years vet min.

hakeem94 and buffalobills!!! like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

And Morey outsmarted Presti to get Harden. If Morey had Pierce and KG on his team pretty sure he could have also robbed Billy King.

Of course Ainge didn't luck into Garnett and Ray Allen...he tanked for years to get picks and assets. Morey has never tanked and except for 1 year all his teams made the playoffs every year. Since Ainge has tanked a lot then he has more assets to work with. Its like comparing somebody with 100k usd and somebody with 1k usd, obviously easier to make more money if you have a larger capital.

What I can say about Morey is he inherited the oldest team in the league and had Tmac lose starpower and Yao Ming retire to injury so he basically lost two superstars with little to no return. In a few short years he turned that to the team we have now.

I think he is easily on par with Ainge when it cones to GMing

9. buffalobills!!!

That's because you need to give something up in trades for CHRIS PAUL. There is a reason the Clippers wanted those players

Rocket River likes this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The GM has to follow the rules of the NBA collective bargaining agreement and that includes salary matching for teams over the cap.

If you dont include those salaries, then you would have to replace it with other salary.

roslolian likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not saying Chris Paul is not worth it because he is but at his age his big moments are limited.

Unfortunately Morey wasn't able to draft or trade for another young star other than Harden in that timespan.

A better player than Capela.

#51 daywalker02, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

A lot of times Morey gets some guys that maybe aren't the most coveted or are maybe on the downside of their career, and they end up exceeding expectations. I was expecting that to be the case for some of the guys this year, but I think in the first 3 games we are like 0 for 4 on the new players contributing. I haven't been impressed, and in some cases outright disgusted by what I've seen of Ennis, Hartenstein, Melo, and MCW. Obviously they were going to need to have a hit on a few of these guys if they wanted to approach the level of last season.

The good news is that we're only 3 games into the season, so there's time. But, none of these guys have really given us any reason to be encouraged.

slothy420 and Easy like this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Of course Morey is not overrated, and to be honest it’s a bit tiring going through this every year with some of you guys.

The team was a hamstring away last year knocking off the giant and winning a title.

Money has played a role in this year’s squad. It’s very tough to add the right pieces when your cap space is being occupied by two or three guys. It goes without saying that Morey has been outstanding at adding key pieces with little to no cap space.

I’m expecting something to happen on the trade front, so we will see what happens there.

It’s early, but the team chemistry and defense is not there yet. Harden while effective clearly seems out of shape. People always want to act like the sky is falling before the team has a chance to gel. Let’s give it time. I’m not overly concerned, yet.

JVL713, HP3, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

I just hope he is able to trade Knight and Chriss for something playable because we got rid of high-upside rookie and Anderson, who was bad but not that bad as some of the addiditons, for nothing in return.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Morey got lucky too. He is lucky Nene and gasol trade was cancelled. He was lucky melo and bosh didn't sign here. He was lucky Parsons didn't sign here. He was lucky okc owners decided to be cheap. He was lucky that washingto and gsw said no to OKC for harden.
    There is a lot of luck for every GM. You got to make the best of your breaks.

BaselineFade likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If this is your gripe, I suggest you do some homework and go make a list of the GMs in the league today and what big trades they ever made.

Bonus marks for how many of them (if any) can claim to making potentially the greatest steal of all time.

You being so dismissive of the Harden move as if it's a common occurrence and he should be doing it more frequent is comical

roslolian and xaos like this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let me check my Calendar. . . . .. yep
    It is right on time .. . . the TriAnnual - IS MOREY OVERRATED THREAD!

I have checked into this one. . . now just gotta wait until After the Trade Deadline and After the Season

Rocket River

roslolian likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need to hear the explaination of how this is possible

Rocket River

roslolian likes this.
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Third game of the season...
    [​IMG]

20. Nook

Nook Member

Carmelo Anthony and Michael Carter Williams were both signed for the MINIMUM. I have no issue with either signing, in fact they were both good signings when you consider the cost. Ennis was signed for only slightly over the minimum.

The Rockets hands were tied...... they were going to resign Paul (as they should) and had limited resources and money to work with.

The owner wasn't going to pay Trevor Ariza $15,000,000 and the tax associated with it.

The Rockets had to resign Capela, and they did a good job of negotiating with him.

So under the circumstances, what could the GM do differently?

The Wolves didn't want the Rockets offer for Butler...... there was no cap space and an owner that was careful with money.

The only possible criticism could be that the Rockets didn't just offer the MLE to Luc....... but we still don't know how that will turn out.

I suppose the Rockets could have offered a #1 and #2 for Jones to be the back up point guard, but then there were no future moves available.

Morey and MDA tried to make it sound positive, with "new math" but the reality is it was going to take some luck for it to work.