1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is convincing stars to take pay cuts becoming a necessary part of building a championship team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017.

1. HTR99

HTR99 Member

That's unlikely and hard to imagine that someone like Terry Rozier would be paid the same as LeBron, Durant or Curry.

They should either eliminate max salaries or create a tier structure (1 player at 35% of cap (supermax designation), 1 player at 20% cap (max designation), subsequent players for remaining 45%) if the league is serious about parity.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've heard a lot of ideas over the years. That seems as good better than all of them.

3. SemisolidSnake

Nah. I'm not even convinced you need 3 stars to win a championship, which seems to be the consensus at this moment in time. Good team chemistry and good coaching is easily equivalent to a star or two.

Continuing with that, the best way to convince some to take a paycut is to create the team I just described: one that actually entices someone to play for you not just play for your money. They're all multimultimillionaires. If their options are all average teams, yeah, they'll take every cent they can get. If the team has some potential or all the potential, a few million less isn't going to kill them to play there.

I completely believe that Chris Paul is dipping his toe in the Rockets' pool this year to test the water. If he's given the control and influence he'll want and need and sees the team really working hard on and off the court for that championship, he'll stay, and we'll see what long term contract negotiations look like in a year. If not, he'll either go somewhere else, or he'll stay and take as much money as he can get.

4. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

People are taking the wrong lesson regarding Durant's pay cut.

The issue to being competitive isn't so much paying max dollars to the superstars. It's paying superstar money to all-stars or all-star money to role players. And we can all point to examples of these overpaid players!

In the Warriors case, the issue was Iguodala's ridiculous 3y/48m contract as a 33yo with back issues. I think we all agree, he was overpaid (or significantly so if you include luxury tax). If Iguodala, however, got a 42m contract, it would be more in line with his worth (and even then somewhat overpaid IMHO.

Had Iguodala gotten a 42m contract, Durant would have been able to get his near max of 31.5m. And I think this was the original plan. Then on one would be complaining about any players taking pay cuts.

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

no matter how you break it down, iggy and livingston wouldn't be on the team if durant didn't take a paycut. If he demanded the max then they would've had to renounce the rights to those guys.They needed him to take a paycut to meanuever the cap correctly. even if durant taking less and iggy making more equals the same dollar amount as both taking market value

6. SunsRocketsfan

for me I don't hate on Durant for taking less money. Props to him for that.. MOst people hate on him for his lack of passion and competitiveness. There has never been a super star or top 3 player in the league go join one of the best teams in league history who that just bounced him from the playoff's. Durant deserves far more hate than LBJ ever got for his big 3 in Miami.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

it is when your two best players are prime mvps and your 3rd and 4th best players are prime all nba, all star, dpoy, and all defensive players. you are not overcoming than with just chemistry and coaching. its going to require talent first

roslolian likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They also have iggy who is 6moy FMVP player.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i could go on about how deep they are but didn't think it was necessary after you go through just the first 4

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah agree on that. I look like I'm defending KD but I'm really not, I mean I like that he wants to win at all costs but it is the equivalent of cheating to me. This is like Lebron going to Boston Celtics to join KG, Pierce and Ray Allen after they beat him.