1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is convincing stars to take pay cuts becoming a necessary part of building a championship team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There isn't too much money. People just haven't adjusted to the new normal because the salary explosion was so sudden. The last couple of summers have been crazy but we should have seen it coming. Two years ago, a $100 million salary cap was projected by many (up from $63 million) and here we have it.

I'm curious to see if other top 5 megastars will follow KD's example and accept less money to increase their chance of winning.

IMO, one solution to the "perversion" (which is a very dumb way of phrasing it) is to eliminate the per player max salary. This is the real perversion that exists.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Just like warriors were finalized before curry max

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly I think this is a big part of it. you pay people what they're worth and what the market will bear

4. Daddy Long Legs

Why is that a dumb way to phrase it? Why throw a gratuitous shot like that instead of just talking about the topic at hand. @Os Trigonum is the only one who debated without being a condescending ass.

a perversion can be when things end up being used for what they werent intended for. Veering off of the course that it was intended for.

Thats why people use it to describe goat ****ers. Most people dont think penises and sexual desire were put there to **** goats.

The salary cap was put into place for competitive parity but if guys only take less on a few teams then it becomes a perversion because it is not functioning for what it was intended for. It doesnt harm the warriors and acts as an impediment for other teams to catch the warriors.

How am I using that word stupidly? Do you have a big vocabulary? Are you cool with discussing ideas without being a condescending ass?

EDIT: btw I agree with your point that max contracts are a huge problem and could eliminate this issue. We shouldnt cap what a player makes but we should still cap what a team makes. So if you want you can use all your money on one guy then vet minimum the rest. Thats worth exploring

#44 Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think it would eliminate any top 10 players from being on the same team, by choice. The Miami Heat trio never would have happened and KD would not be on the Warriors.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Eliminate is a dumb word to use. Drasticslly reduce woulda been better.

See how this works? I can be a condescending ass too who nitpicks your words and calls them "dumb"

#46 Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    justtxyank likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Gotcha - and yeah, it's a good question. I will say that, as someone said earlier, this isn't necessarily new or unique. Tim Duncan has done this with the Spurs to help keep championship rosters together in the past, but yes, it's mostly been considered an outlier, whereas now it may be becoming more common.

I would argue part of this is the sheer insanity of the cap rise last year. Taking a discount on a max contract 2 years ago when everyone was getting paid like you is one thing. But taking a discount when you're a free agent now and the numbers are just so much bigger seems like less of a big deal / sacrifice, given how many people are still on the older scale.

It does sort of blow up the whole economic structure that the NBA is built around (as do max contracts in general). It would be interesting, from a parity perspective, if they gave the crappiest teams larger salary caps than the best teams. That would help diversify talent to the crappier teams and make it hard for good teams to stay together (everyone would have to take bigger discounts). It won't happen, of course, but it's an economic solution to the lack of parity issue.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

The NBA really turned into mid 90s WCW.
    You have the NWO (Heat then Cavs) and the NWO wolfpack (Warriors). Then you have the WCW (everyone besides the Kings/Pacers and most of the East). Those teams are like the Saturday night show were Glacier would fight Hugh Morris.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

He isn't the only one stacking the deck though even Cp3 stacked the deck and like I said other players in history had stacked the deck too. He isn't even the player who gave up the most I remember David West took like a 90% paycut of his salary to play for a contender.

The NBA lived through all those guys they'll live through KD too. Were you frustrated when Lakers got a 3peat with Shaq and Kobe? How about when MJ won 2 3 peats? Kd has just 1 ring yet you are going crazy already lol. MJ beat up the league even worse than KD Warriors now did, they even set the regular season record for wins.

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

or the Celtics in the 60s . . . didn't they win something like seven straight titles?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. Lets wait for KD to establish a dynasty before everyone flips out lol.

I think the diff with today's technology and social media to the old days is everyone has the tendency to be too dramatic about things. 1 ring and the league is destroyed wtf.

Every thing that happens people always act like the world is ending, just look at all the posts about Harden in game 6. Yet all those posters act like nothing has happened now.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Lol some fair points in there had to like except for the throwing shade part. How am i going crazy? You were so close to respinding in a civil and intelligent way. You responded in an intelligent way but not a civil way.

To answer your question no i was never upset about kibe and shaq. I loved kobe.

Im dissapointed by david west 2 years ago too but he doesnt make nearly the impact that kd does.

I agree that we will live through this lol. The biggest point of my post is how do we combat this as competitors? Do we need to convince stars to take paycuts to join championship teams? Are other stars going to be frustrated that the pressure to take paycuts from the team/fans might get larger?

13. Daddy Long Legs

This is such a straw man attack. You have some view points that I agree with ad some that I dont. Why do you have to accuse me of freaking out and being dramatic? What purpose does your condescension even serve in this discussion?

Os said a lot of what you are saying just fine except without being a dick about it lol

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

which is saying something as I've been told I'm the dumbest a-hole around here

15. Daddy Long Legs

You and @roslolian @JayGoogle @J Sizzle @BigMaloe (and like 60 others that im forgetting of course) are all some of the smartest, most level headed, non knee-jerk posters around here lol. We are usually vibing the similar patient attitudes when others are knee jerking saying fire dantoni and trade harden.

I dig what all yall have to say. Preferably it can be communicated in a way that doesnt call me dumb, emotional, freaking out, and goinf crazy lol.

J Sizzle, JayGoogle and BigMaloe like this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would suggest doing away with bird rights/exceptions and allow one player per team to earn over up to 50% of max individual contract, in which that extra 50% did not count against salary cap. If a team anchors themselves to a 50M per year player (only 35M counting towards salary cap), then that player could only be traded to a team that could absorb the whole 50M under their salary cap or did not have a designated player. This would encourage the greed of superstars to not pile up on one team and dissipate the talent to other teams.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't know what the problem is with KD. Yes, his "discount" saves the GSW owners a lot of money. They could have paid him (up to his non-Bird $) and sign the same guys if they were just willing to pay tax. Maybe they were not willing to do it and we think KD should have forced them to pay up.

The question is, though: What if the owners just aren't willing to pay more than, say, $210M or whatever it is for a roster? What's KD's alternative? Go to another team? A bunch of them would pay him, of course, but which of them offer the same level of roster talent around him? Will other owners be willing to spend more than GSW's? Will these teams have the same talent even while spending more than GSW?

KD has a lot of leverage and options in this case. But eve he does not have unlimited leverage.

roslolian likes this.
  19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Should have met me at the greenbelt this weekend bruh :cool:

20. Daddy Long Legs

The greenbelt in atx? Lol

BigMaloe likes this.