1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is convincing stars to take pay cuts becoming a necessary part of building a championship team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Who said I was hating on the dude himself? There is nothing morally wrong about this. But who cares about morality, we dont even know these guys!

My pount is that as an NBA fan, it is frustrating that he found a way to stack the deck so where do we go from here?

2. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Anyone asking the owners to take less money of the annual hundreds of millions they're getting? H3ll no.

Its remedial and hypocritical to ask the stars who drives the revenue for these unappreciative owners to take less money.

Then brainwashed fans criticize the players when its the cheap greedy thieves owners and league officials who cap the players but they aren't capped as well.

Read the book 40 million dollar slave.

3. Daddy Long Legs

@Os Trigonum I think we agree on near everything. The only difference is that you accept reality for what it is and say theres no point in banging your head against the wall for something that we couldnt AND (morally) shouldnt try to prevent because it is KDs decision not ours.

Good point. Banging your head against the wall in frustration at competitive parity without having a solution that doesnt infringe on a players rights is very unproductive.

We will see how the league adapts to this juggernaut.

Major and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nozick is a libertarian and very readable. Anarchy, State, Utopia is great. And worth the price of admission alone for the Wilt Chamberlain example.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, that's basically my point. good summary!

6. rockpileindisma

Shut up

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

In my mind he hasn't really set any precedence yet. It's a nice gesture for the team but doesn't really benefit the Warriors in any meaningful way long term.

Let's see what he does next year. If he takes a 100/4 contract instead of a 160/4 contract, then the NBA will have serious problems.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Necessary? No. But it obviously helps in any league with a salary cap like the NBA's.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Thats why I havent studied him then. I studied natural philosophy and mainly philosophy of mind.

I never was never enamored by political/social philosophy. Smart stuff just not my thing! Reading hobbes leviathan and platos republic were my introductions to that type of philosophy and I didnt get too into it.

Philosophy of mind is what i took 80% of my classes in. Trying to solve the mind-body problem. Trying to define conciousness as functionalist, dualist, or identity theorist and learning stuff like how computationalism helped develop computer science was always more interesting to me.

I like philosophy at an individual level at ones identity more than I am interested in philosophy at a macro level like studying a society.

EDIT: you've definitely written a good amount of papers and studied plenty of academic topics. I wasnt really replying back to you in a very academic way because im typing on my phone but you hit me with some good points and statements. I love it when people debate like that because it allows us to find the fundamental differences on views when things are tied back to thesis statements.

Too many debates are filled with straw men arguments and accusing people of having positions that they dont hold. Too many things are lost in communication. Writing as you did makes it much easier to understamd where someone stands on a topic.

#29 Daddy Long Legs, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. hlcc

hlcc Member

When players sign with worse teams for more $$ instead of with contenders for less $$, fans complain that these players are losers, overpaid.
    When players sign with contenders for less $$, fans complain the players are destroying parity (never really existed in the NBA) and are losers because they can't win without plenty of help.

roslolian, Os Trigonum and Major like this.
  11. BackdoorHarden

'
    Why would Lebron be pissed? Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all took less money so they could play together.

It's likely he and his pal will all take less money next year to play in Houston or in Los Angeles. Superstars like Lebron are rich, they don't need the money. They want to win and play with guys they like. Lebron makes $50 millions in endorsement, way more than the Cavs can ever play him or any team can play him. KD makes $41 millions a year in endorsement

12. BackdoorHarden

Those people are jealous and haters.

I'm sure they will hate on Westbrook when he signs that $201 million contracts and say, "LOSER! HE AIN"T NEVER GOING TO GET A RING NOW STAYING IN OKC. "

If he leaves, "TOLD YA!!! WB AIN"T NUTHING BUT ANOTHER KD. TRAITOR!!!"

roslolian likes this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Im jealous and a hater? Not at all man. Just talking about how these moves effect the league and how we should build a championship team these days.

I liked os trigonums approach a lot more than yours. You dont gotta name call or act like im an idiot. We can hold different view points...

14. Major

Major Member

Why is Lebron pissed? He won all his championships in Miami by convincing a bunch of secondary players to come play on the cheap to win a championship.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Im not saying lebrons the good guy and KDs thr bad guy. We all know about his miami superteam paycut. I was dissapointed by that then because it seemed like the rest of the league would have no chance (i was wrong, dallas, san antonio both had great finals vs them)

I know they dont need the $ because they make a ton in endorsements. My only point is that our salary cap is the only system we have in place to tru to incentivize stars to fill out all 30 teams so it is a little bit dissapointing when someone like KD takes less which allows them to get iggy and livingston back.

Jealous and a hater? No. Unenthusiastic about competitive parity in the west? Yes. An I not allowed to feel that way? Does my response have to be "hell yah KD and goldenstate do yo thang!!!!"

Im not saying hes breaking rules or being a bad person. Im saying I hope we find a way to compete and it seems like the only way to compete is for other people to take paycuts.

I dont care what is in their pockets, i care about competitive parity. I would love it if lebron and other stars now take paycuts so the playoffs can be competitive again.

My bottom line is this: i dont want a league where one team is in a class of their own.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

One of the biggest problems now is there is too much money in the league. Asking a guy to take 26M instead of 30.5M is a lot easier than telling a guy to take 10M instead of 14.5M.

The rules keep changing but the only thing that stays consistent is the increased amount of money.

17. Daddy Long Legs

I agree and i was dissapointed back then. Everyone is misunderstanding me. Im not saying anyones goodguy or bad guy.

Lebron isnt in the right and kd isnt on the wrong. Im saying lebron is pissed because he has to take a paycut again to beat these guya which brings me to my point.

Are all stars gonna have to take paycuts to compete?

Idc how much they make or morality. Im purely asking where we go from here, how are other stars and the league going to combat the warriors when they found the way to stack the deck

Too many people are acting as if i care how rich these guys are or Im trying to discull virtue/morality or hero/villain

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I don't see your stances as the only 2.

Clearly, how much a player wins impacts his bottom line. It's an externality that affects other players, both on their own team and on other teams, and should be accounted for by the NBA.

Maybe a percentage of all BRI should be adjusted between the 30 teams, with the scale being weighted in favor of teams with total advertisement revenue parity. (A team with 12 players making similar ad revenue gets a bonus, teams with the biggest descrepencies pay in)

By incentivizing even ad revenue across all players on a team, you gain parity, as well as team identity.

19. Daddy Long Legs

Interesting. Still internalizing that concept and Im trying to find perversions where that rule wouldnt work in its intended sense (like luxury tax became a perversion because it harmed small market more than big market and the salary cap became a perversion when stars started taking way less to team up)

I cant think of any perversions in that idea

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

have to get the team finalized before james harden next max deal