1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You guys are crazy ... Clint is awesome .. And he's going to be even better further into the season .

Rim defense .
    Ability to cover well on the perimeter .
    Good D down low now .
    Great finishing ability .
    Not a liability on FT's
    A bit of offensive polish is coming along too.

This guys is as good of a defensive anchor as you are gone get outside of an elite few .

He knows his role on offense

And has improved on both ends of the floor every year .

Literally the only thing he is missing is a more complete offensive game . And on a team with CP3 and James to set you up with looks ... And with shooters all around ... It's redundant .

He outplayed embiid tonight .

2. Rockets4Life13

Opinions are different, you have yours and i'll have mine.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

and yours is not even close to being correct but ill let you believe theres people out there besides you that believe brook lopez has great footwork defensively on the perimiter

4. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

why not, we can go over the cap to sign him.

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He is currently second in the NBA in PER for the centre position

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Lolz @ Brook Lopez

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

We'll see. Either we're going to lose him for nothing, or we overpay him big time this offseason and cap us out for season to come.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

How much money do u think he's going to get? 15-17 mil/yr is fair for him, and I think that Morey would have no problem paying him that, especially if he continues to improve and increase his stamina.

He may not be the answer, but he's still a pretty damn good option. There are guys I'd want instead of him, but they are either not easily obtainable due to our limited trade assets and limited cap space, or they're pipe dreams.

None of those guys are way better at perimeter defense than Clint, c'mon man, that's just false. You're going to tell me that a guy like Vucevic, Lopez, or Jokic is better at defending out on the perimeter than Clint? They're not. All the guys I mentioned routinely get torched in that department.

YOLO likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Clint is so good. There is no doubt. Bad games will happen but he is legit.

RudyTBag and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think so but again continue to think otherwise

12. Rockets4Life13

My point is that we have decided to go full win mode over the last few years and we CLEARLY need another all-star type of player to come close to Golden state. We're not gonna draft them, so where do we get them? Free Agency. If u pay ~20m for Clint for 5 years and 18m for Anderson for 2 more we're going to be done. Any athletic big can do the job hes doing offensively with CP3 and Harden donating him buckets, and defensively im not sold on him, so why pay 20m when u can get a cheaper guy who can basically do the same and will give us way more cap space?

The thread title is "is he the answer?" and i think thats he's clearly not if you look at the big picture.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Barring injury , Clint is gonna be a top 10 center for a long time to come .

I think his defense is criminally underrated here. He's both quick enough to do a great job on the perimeter and strong enough to be a stopper down low.

On offense , he can't still improve , but his touch and ball handling ability already has .

Yes he plays with James (and hopefully soon Chris) and that gifts him easy opportunities . But he also has a nice motor and is getting more points off hustle plays this season.

He'll never be Hakeem on offense ; but if he can bring 80 percent of Hakeem on D ... That's a great player .

Plowman likes this.
  14. Rockets4Life13

He's getting tortured by Gasol if we play memphis, so he's not great at post defense. When we played Golden state he had a +/- of -23 because he cant guard the perimeter.
    Offense is fine, he basically does what he has to do and does it well (still bad hands - 2 TO's per 36)

How can u say that he has a great motor when he's playing 23 minutes on avrg because he's gassed?!

Again, i have no problem with Clint for this year. The problem starts at the point at which we have to match an offer sheet. And it will be bigger than his worth.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He played little in that GS game becuase Mike decided to go with Ryan .

He did a good job on Gasol last night , but Mike in his brilliance only gave him 24 min and Gasol got a lot of his points on other players .

He can only perform when we give him a chance . He outplayed Embiid tonight .

He's been good at perimeter defense .

Your statistical argument holds no weight . You are using a plus minus from one game and averages 4 games in .

You're not watching the game if you think Clint is getting "tortured" on the low block .

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is certainly a good post defender (Kanter/Lamarcus/Pau shut out in the playoffs last year) and one of the better Centers in the league on switches (Always has been more than solid defending the pick and roll).

You are what we call a one game cherry picker.

17. Rockets4Life13

Im watching every single game from start to finish. If he didnt get help by Luc/PJ on embiid all night Embiid wouldve scored on him all night.
    And mike is not playing him 24 minutes because he thinks thats fun but because hes gassed

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He gets dominated on by other true skilled big men. He was a deer in highlights against San Antonio in the playoffs. Gasol abused him and whoever else Saturday night. He's a better help defender this season but he's not intimidating any penetration in the paint.

I miss Yao and Mutombo.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

We're shaming guys for accepting help defense now?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

So why did he play 31 tonight ? And grab 20 boards if he was gassed ?