1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is America ready for a woman (Hilary) or black (Obama) presidential candidate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by triplet, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

how very mature and morally centered.

2. lalala902102001

No this country will not elect a female or a black president for at least another generation (25 years).

I've always felt that Hilary Clinton is too smart to not know that she would never be elected president. I'll be really surprised if she runs in 2008.

Obama will be a force once he gets into the Senate. He swept most of the neutral counties in rural Soutern Illinois and even the traditional heavily-Repulican DuPage county in Chicago suburb. This is someone that will need to be reckoned with.

If the GOP nominates Condi Rice in 08' (which of course will not happen), the Dems won't stand a chance.

3. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Not trying to call you out, but you couldn't BE more wrong Josh. Anyone who says that the "Solid South" for the republican party wasn't based on Racism has NO grasp of U.S. History. It is as simple a precept as Gays, Guns and God.

When the "Dixiecrats" saw that the times, they were a changin', they filibustered till they were Red(hehehe)in the face. Most notably, Strom Thrumond held out longer than anyone else.

Johnson, in his vision and strength, grabbed them by the shoulders and shoved it down their guts. At this point in the mid 60's, the states-right's rats started ditching the Democratic party. We know that south still wavered on the Gubernatorial and local elections for Democrats, but civil rights changed the vote of the southern male and his party to that of the previously carpet-baggin, instigatin' Yankees that freed the slaves.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If it was Colin Powell....I think they would. If someone else, I would agree with you.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i guess those socially conservative voters hate condolezza rice and colin powell

6. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

You're right. The South isn't racist at all.

My bad.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This country is a different country than it was in the 60's my friend ... The South has more conservative values economically and socially .. I know its hard for you, but you are going to have to come to the realization that there are other ways of thinking other than your own and it doesn make these people bad people ... Why would or should the South vote for any left-leaning candidate regardless of race or gender if they are more right-leaning. GV said that the South wouldn't vote for a "left leaning female or minority" simply because of race or gender. Could it possibly be that they don't vote for them because of their conservative values? I don't know many conservative people that vote for left-leaning candidates period.

If you want to make the claim that the South is full of racists, you are going to have to make the case that a right-leaning female or minority would have to lose the South to prove your point (or rather GV's). Personally I think Condi Rice or Colin Powell would do extremely well in the South.

With GV's logic I'll go ahead and say the whole NE United States is racist and sexist because they wouldn't vote for Condi Rice.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yes, you are right and quit calling me "Shirley"! :p ;)

9. insane man

insane man Member

democrats need a candidate that can deliver florida and hopefully ohio.

the rest of the northeast and west states are in the bag. the NH/NM/Nevada/Iowa are periphery issues. you just put a whole lot of money in there and see what happens.

get florida and you're looking pretty.

lets get a hispanic obama and put him on the VP ticket. and we're set. aren't there any charasmatic young cuban liberals in this country? and if not aren't there any strong democrats in the state of florida? thats what you need.

the rest will fall into place.

but if republican ticket has mccain i dont see any chance of us winning in 08. if its rudy...we have a shot. if its mccain...im not sure i'd vote democrat if hillary ran. but i think mccain is getting up there in age so perhaps it will be rudy. in rudy's case im not sure...as long as NY isn't in play we'll have a chance. if rudy can really get NY in play...we're screwed.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, I just LOVE the stereotyping going on in this forum over the past 48 hours. Conservatives are "***-haters" and racists. Bush voters are stupid. People who believe in God are homophobic and close-minded.

It's really wonderful.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Wow, Obama is *easily* the most over-hyped candidate of the day, if not of all-time. This guy is a run-of-the-mill liberal whose speech at the DNC was incredibly divisive. The content of that speech, which I dissected to expose its liberal-ness, could have been written by Ted Kennedy himself. With its loads of demagoguery, class warfare, and race baiting, it sounded like a 1960's civil rights speech. Um hello, but we've already fought that war, Obama. Wake up please, this is 2004.

The Democrats are so incredibly desparate for any kind of hope that they are pushing this guy like no other. Want proof? How often does a nobody deliver the keynote address at the convention? If you had heard of Obama before the convention raise your hand. I see very few hands.

OVERRATED

12. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

Seriously, can you explain what you mean? How do you consider his speech "divisive"?

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Posted immediately after his speech at the DNC:

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Winning in the deep south is...OVERRATED. You guys seem to forget that Kerry wins this election with either Ohio or Florida. Without winning a southern state.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are right but Kerry barely wins. The Democrats would be better served if they could put some more borderline Southern States into play like Virginia, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Missouri. Without more states into play, the Democrats have to walk a very narrow path to victory.

16. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Of course.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Call me stupid if ya want, but why is Florida not considered a southern state?

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it is merely because it's the only Southern state that might vote Democrat.

I'm surprised to see people paint the South was such a broad brush. I would have thought a bbs of Rockets fans would have a finer grade of understanding. I'm really surprised to see people lump all of the South into a single bag. It is a large and varied population, but these political discussions treat the South as a monolithic black box.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought there were plenty of voters who came out of the woodwork in this election. It might be cynical but I don't think the next election will match this one in turnout.

The Democrat party is in disarray right now. I think many will want more polarizing figure because a moderate candidate and a Southern VP candidate didn't work out. And if Iraq gets worse, maybe it'll take a nasty b**** to win the dissenting vote.

20. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

The reason I ask the question is that an african ameriacn friend told me they vote democrat because historically they have best let their voice be heard... so I wondered if a black candiate would automatically get the votes ..

I saw someone on tv a while back talking about his book and how it shows that historically republicans have actually treated blacks better... but I haven't done much research into the matter to see if there is good reason to always vote democrat if you are black