1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is America ready for a woman (Hilary) or black (Obama) presidential candidate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by triplet, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Condi is a powerful woman, but i just don't see the GOP handing it to her. now if any black woman president will sweep, her name will have to be Oprah...

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The president will be a male honkey for decades to come. Be serious, folks.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Pragmatically, why would the Dems appoint a minority candidate? Blacks and hispanics already vote for the Dems, so you wouldn't be picking up many votes there, and unfortunately you'd lose a substantial number of voters who, consciously or onconsciously, would likely vote for a white man over a minority candidate for president. Racism is still alive in our country, it's just hidden better these days.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

wow...

many election hang-overs on the bbs this morn!

ya'll really dont think a strong woman or minority candidate would not gain at least as much support as she/he would lose based on gender/race alone? Hillary (sadly IMO) is too polarizing, but, shirley a less encumbered candidate would fair well.

(and Regan/Mondale is hardly a litmus test...Walt could have had Gandhi himself (reincarnated, i guess) and he would have been swept by ol' Ron). Margaret Thatcher would not be electible in the US?? (Not that i'd want her!!!! just couldn't imagine the hard core right wing (the one's i'm assuming are 'not ready') rejecting her because she's a dame).

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

My prediction for the '08 presidential race:

Democrats nominate Hil Clinton, but not to be outdone and to take away any advantage that Clinton's gender has, the Repubs will nominate Condi and you'll have 2 women (1 of them black) vying for the house in '08.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That CNN camera thing sums up Rice in a nutshell to me. I mentioned in another thread that perhaps one of the reasons I have such a strong antipathy towards her, and her brand of dishonesty is that she is so good at it. She makes it sound like her lies are so matter of fact, and she is just explaining a simple fact of life.

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I don't understand the hatred toward Rice or how anyone can say all she does is tell lies. And by the way, the "husband" remark is one i hear almost daily. I've called my girlfriend mom (not in a sick perveted way) and many other mess-ups. Its like in elementary school when everyone makes fun of the nerd for callin the teacher "mom". If you're around someone for long enough you're goin to have a slipup like that.

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Obama for 2008

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

If Southerners won't vote for a moderate male Democrat, there's no ******* way they vote for a left-leaning woman or minority. Not a chance. "Diversity" isn't something most Southerners embrace or even acknowledge as a positive. In the South, Hillary will always be a "woman candidate" and Obama will always be a "black candidate," not just candidates.

Sugar-coat it all you want, but the South will only vote for a Democrat who is "one of its own" -- and that means a rich, white conservative good ole boy. In other words, a Republican in Democrat's clothing.

That's a reality that Democrats need to concede if they want to actually win something.

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

question...

if a republican nominates an african american.. do you the majority of black voters switch to republican for that election?

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would love for Rice to get the Republican nomination and win the presidency for many reasons, but one of them is that it would really cheese off the Democrats if the Republicans had the first black and first woman president. :D

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

The fact that speculation about Hillary Clinton is all over the media today is a clear indication that the Democratic Party learned nothing from the election.

The National Democratic Party is too aligned with the left and marginal issues like gay marriage (which affects a very small % of the population). The results suggest again that Americans are in the middle of the political spectrum, certainly more inclined to the right on moral issues than the left.

H. Clinton is an ideological liberal and one of the most polarizing figures in American Politics. Smart, clever, hardcore, diligent, politically wise, yes. Electable, no. The media is centered in New York and L.A., they are not in the real world. If the democrats nominate Hillary Clinton, voters will come out of the woodwork just to beat her, regardless who Republicans run.

13. typhoon

typhoon Member

BINGO!

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Hillary ... a woman?

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What states do Hillary or Obama deliver that Kerry could not?

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You make absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever

Southerner's almost always vote for Republican's anyway regardless of race or gender ... You act like it would be racist that they wouldn't vote for a "left-leaning woman or minority" .. They don't vote for a left-leaning caucasion male. So save the crap about them not caring about diversity.

If Condi Rice was nominated these people that you claim can't stand diversity would be voting for her.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm sure they would.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it goes without saying that if either party is going to have a successful black or female presidential candidate, it'll be the conservatives. Conservatives can do it an appear to be more centrist whereas the Democrats will only appear more left-leaning for it.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't think so.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We will just have to wait four years and see what happens. If the war in Iraq goes badly and turns into a Vietnam, plus the economy is still in a funk in four years, democrate can pick anyone and win. On the other hand, if Iraq really become and solid democratic nation and the economy rebounds well, democrats can kiss the 08 election goodbye. In between these two extremes either party would have a chance with a tilt towards republicans most likely.

Mark