1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IRAQ: The Iraqi People

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IU know thise sounds bit. . .. cut and dried
    but
    If they hated Saddam so much

why did they not SUICIDE bomb him or something
    Why did they simply just kill him themselves

I know little about them . . . but
    Was it lack of ammo .. or what?

Rocket River

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, lack of ammo is a good reason

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

1. Many of them are not Iraqi

and

2. Those who are Iraqi think they are killing Iraqis who were not loyal to Saddam (so they don't count) plus they are pro-American

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They hate our love of freedom.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess those that are PRO American . . .
    Why did they not DO something .. .
    why were we not helping them

Rocket River

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

There were a few uprisings against Saddam and all were brutally crushed. As to why they didn't use tactics like suicide bombings and terrorism that's hard to say. One factor might be that they never thought about using it against an Arab leader not allied with the US or Israel but feel OK to use it against a foreign occupier.

Another factor that might've played in his favor was that after the first Gulf War Saddam became very popular among the Arab street and so while radical groups were using terrorist tactics against an unpopular US backed government in Egypt Saddam was seen as standing up to the US.

I remember hearing awhile back that Osama Bin Ladin's schism with the Saudi Royal Family had to do with allowing US soldiers to be based in Saudi Arabia. Bin Ladin didn't like Saddam and was opposed to his occupation of Kuwait, and his suppression of radical Islam. He still thought it was a greater evil to allow US troops into the Holy Land of Islam even if it was to get rid of Saddam. His solution was to wage a holy war along the lines of 1980's Afghanistan to get rid of Saddam so its possible that if the US hadn't fought Gulf War I we might've seen a terrorist campaign against Saddam.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Those a certainly a couple of reasons, but we shouldn't underestimate just what lengths Saddam went to, to keep from getting killed... dozens of palaces, doubles who traveled to different ones, and sometimes made public appearences instead of Saddam, etc., etc.

I don't doubt that there were Iraqis who would have laid down their lives to kill him, and tried, but were thwarted. After some conspirators had many family mambers murdered after being caught discussing the possibilty, much less making an attempt, word of that got around, and those who would give their own lives wouldn't risk that of an extended family, or an entire village.

What kept Saddam alive, when you get right down to it, was tribal loyalty and family blood. Add that which I've already mentioned, and he was an extremely tough nut to crack. I kept thinking that a Sunni would be the one to get to him, but it never happened.

RR, it wasn't from lack of trying.

Keep D&D Civil!!

8. wizardball

wizardball Member

well when you are as well guarded as saddam was, its hard to kill the guy....

the U.S could have assassinated Saddam if they wished... they have killed off a few leaders already.... though there are bigger issues at hand....

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we could have, we would have.

Keep D&D Civil!!

10. wizardball

wizardball Member

if you can do it once you go do it a second time as well.

Deckard..... there is no way you can sit and think that there is nothing fishy about how the U.S has dealt with the Iraq situation..... i believe that the U.S was distraught over the 9/11 events …. And it brought an opportunity to attack iraq…. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 …. The U.S economy was going in the gutter … and things were looking bad…. …and i’ve taken enough economics courses to know that war brings growth and opportunities…. …helps an ailing economy and boosts patriotism….plus it diverted attention abroad….

I know enough Iraq’s who have lived in Iraq during Saddam’s rule…. He was a filthy human being…. he was not religious at all…sadly that makes it even more unlikely that Saddam and “al-Quaida” are partners……which at one point was or still is the U.S’s three millionth reason…

my point is that it’s the Iraqi people that got screwed in the long run ….

11. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I disagree. Saddam himself is a Sunni and I do not think that the Sunnis were eager to eliminate one of their own, especially considering that the Sunnis are the minority in Iraq.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Saddam purged Sunnis, including close confidants and relatives several times during his reign including after the Iran-Iraq War, after PG1, and leading up to the recent intervention by the US/UK. That included his Defense Minister, a relative by marriage and member of his inner circle. Many Sunnis moved against Saddam and in fact his greatest fear was a coup by Sunni officials/generals.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

They hate our love of reality television.

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I hate our love of reality television.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

IMO, "reality" television is just a new type of game shows. There are some nauseatingly dull "reality" shows (The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, Joe Millionaire etc.), but there are some that are very well done (The Amazing Race, Survivor, even The Mole was pretty good) and very entertaining. IOW, "reality" television is just like any other genre of TV show (sitcom, drama, etc.) in that there are some that are very good and some that are simply not worth the air time.

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

For me reality TV is the history channel, biography, the thirsty traveller (what a sweet gig)...even extreme home makeover isn't bad.

17. GladiatoRowdy

The History Channel and Biography Channel (never heard of the Thirsty Traveller) ARE reality TV.

Those others are just game shows.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Thirsty Traveller is awesome. I believe its on Travel Channel or Discovery. The guy travels to different locales to try their regional drink - goes through with the makers, samples, festivals etc. Some I've watched have been aquavit, champagne, madeira, mescal, several wine regions etc. Wish I had thought of it first.

19. GladiatoRowdy

No kidding. It would be an interesting life if your job was to go out and film yourself drinking over and over again.