1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iran Nuke Program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Realjad, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

After the transpiring chemical attack in Syria this last week foretelling that Obama and team blew it with Syria and/or lied with their brokerage that Assad 100% no longer had any chemical weapons(stockpile destroyed) or chemical weapons programs.

You have to re-exam the Iran deal and their nuclear program.

I'm not convinced Obama and team did their due diligence nor that it has stopped.

Enlighten me as to why I should believe Iran isn't pulling a Syria/Assad, considering they are currently close allies.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

We should all be worried. As you point out, Obama's foreign policy was a terrible joke. From drawing the line in the sand and then acting like a coward to putting Iran further down the path to having a nuclear weapon he may be the worst foreign policy President ever. The Iran deal was about as absurd as it gets. With the incompetent boobs running the show on the Iran deal, I have no doubt Iran.will soon be a nuclear power and I have little doubt they will use them on Israel or on us. Obama drastically underestimated Iran and their desires to destroy Israel. They believe that is the only way to bring back the Mahdi (sp???).

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're going to believe whatever wingnut BS conspiracy you want to believe. Trump will tweet a few so you can take your pick soon enough. This is the most ignorant, capricious, lying buffoon Presidency ever and it's all on you wingnuts. Congrats.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe they receive routine UN inspections. If they are found to be continuing their Nuclear program the sanctions will once again get imposed and cripple their economy.

My understanding is The difference with the Syria/Russia deal is that the deal would rely on Russia to rid Syria of WMD's. We all should know damn well that the US can't trust Russia as far as I can throw.

Also it's a lot easier to hide nerve gas than it is to hide an Atomic bomb and the facilities needed to maintain.

Say what you want about Obama (yes he failed at getting Assad and Putin in order to stop their atrocities) but he kept the US out of War, never showed that he would over react, and showed that diplomacy can be accomplished in a way that we can see that what Obama was able to do could potentially be done more even affective. (I'm sure the anti Obama crowd will go off on me for saying that but it's just who they are... heaven forbid someone not be 100% anti Obama all the time).

Trump is supposed to be the master negotiator so I don't see why his fans don't want to at least give him a chance to get people to the table to TRY diplomatic solutions before firing off missiles without any sort of plan for what comes next.

So yes there is a chance Iran isn't upholding their end of the bargain but id say let's not overreact and I'm just the type of person to think that it Makes sense to at least TRY diplomacy first. But that's just me. over reacting to the inevitable testing Trump is going to have over the next few months could be a massive mistake. If the right (and the right media) starts getting paranoid about Iran and Nukes I'm sure Trump evil also echo their fears publicly. I'd tell my friends on the right to push for diplomacy and getting some formal line of communication going.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire...cing-nuclear-program-with-help-of-north-korea

Its all good thought, Hillary has Carrie Mathison and Saul Berenson looking into this. I am sure Trump and Dar Adal are trying to fool the American public into believing otherwise.

#InBeforeSweetLou

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What do we gain by unraveling the deal?

Let's say you hated it, so what? It's now sanctified by the UN.

I hated the Iraq War. If I b**** about it one more time, can I unravel that too?

Why was the deal made in the first place? Could it be that Iran sped up their bomb efforts after being called one of the Axis of Evil and witnessed the sudden downfall of their neighbor? Well it happened. By 2009, they trained and tested thousands of scientists capable of building and deploying a nuclear weapon.

Striking this deal punted the issue for another 10-15 years. Short of immediate (world) war we had no other options. There wasn't a golden location for Israelis to bomb or techno virus that would shut every know reactor and centrifuge down. Just one **** sandwich or another.

Well if they get caught trying to make a bomb, you guys will get what you want with the world's blessing. Maybe it won't be a world war, and just another trillions dollar boondoggle to trickle down the American people's throats.

You won't see your alpha president gasbag revoking that deal anytime soon. But hey, he still has another thirty days (sweet jesus who isn't sick of him already) to shock and awe.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't forget that time when he didn't overturn Roe v. Wade.

9. Invisible Fan

Trump is going to uphold the deal. Surely this is the Zionist media spreading lies and half truths?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe adults actually have influence in the Trump administration.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let me guess. In 4 years if the deal still stands under Trump, you'll be fine with it?

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious as to whether cml750 will repost this, replacing Obama's name with Trump's given the news that Trump was continuing Obama's policy?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's entertaining to see people like Space Ghost put up dubious sources that contain no facts that Iran is not complying with the nuke deal - despite the fact that the Trump admin just admitted that in fact, Iran is so far in compliance.

The reality is what alternative would their be to the nuke deal. Even Israeli intelligence has come out as a fan of the deal as it's actually been effective. It's an amazing thing that we're not steaming full ahead to a DPRK type of standoff. Russia was going to lift sanctions regardless, the fact that we got this is huge, and finally Trump sees the light and realizes he has no choice outside of withdrawing and going to war with Iran which would definitely result in action by Russia.

I'm glad that Trump is finally listening to a logical mind.

14. Invisible Fan

Trump recertifies the bad deal again. Deep State is Deep.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

After seeing what happen in NK - there was a deal, then the next Admin destroy it and we ended up being where we are now with NK, the adults, you think, will not repeat that mistake.

But we have to wait and see. New sanctions have started immediately after certifying. Let's see how far both sides push and if they end up over the edge.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol, to be honest, it's really easy predicting the behavior and future rhetoric of Trump acolytes. It's as if they follow a algorithm like bots.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Obama Shadow Government strikes again. Trump is reeling, wondering how this got away from him this fast.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Then: "My number one priority is to dismantle this disastrous deal with Iran." - Trump

Now:

Trump Signals He Will Choose Approach on Iran That Preserves Nuclear Deal
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/world/middleeast/trump-iran-deal-sanctions-deadline.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump kept the Iran nuclear deal alive on Thursday as a critical deadline lapsed, a sign that he is stepping back from his threat to abandon an agreement he repeatedly disparaged. He is moving instead to push back on Iran’s ambitions in the Middle East in other ways.

Thursday’s congressionally imposed deadline, to renew an exemption to sanctions on Iran suspended under the 2015 deal, was significant because had the president reimposed economic punishments on Iran, he would have effectively violated the accord, allowing Tehran to walk away and ending the agreement. But Mr. Trump was convinced by top Cabinet members and aides that he would also blow up alliances and free Iran to produce nuclear weapons material.

The move was more consequential than the decision the president faces in October about whether to recertify to Congress that Iran is in compliance with the deal, which has no effect on the nuclear agreement itself.

Though Mr. Trump insisted that he has not settled on an overall Iran strategy and that he would announce one next month, administration officials said they were already trying to refocus on using military and economic leverage to counter Iran’s growing influence in the Middle East.

The approach, which aides said Mr. Trump came to reluctantly in a series of National Security Council meetings, is part of a pattern that has emerged in the president’s attempts to keep his campaign promises. Falling short in some cases, including on his hard line on immigration, Mr. Trump has portrayed the outcome as consistent with his stated objectives.

Returning to Washington on Air Force One on Thursday after touring hurricane-ravaged South Florida, Mr. Trump again criticized the Iran agreement, but he talked around the question of whether he would adhere to it. Instead, he promised other action against Iran.

“We are not going to stand for what they’re doing to this country,” he told reporters. “They have violated so many different elements, but they’ve also violated the spirit of that deal. And you will see what we’ll be doing in October. It will be very evident.”

The International Atomic Energy Agency has said Iran has complied with its commitments under the arrangement, including inspections.

An approach that stops short of leaving the agreement is unlikely to satisfy its conservative critics, who attacked it as President Barack Obama’s cave-in to Iran, an American adversary of nearly four decades. Nor does it promise to satisfy those who see the deal as a building block for engagement with Iran.

Even Washington’s closest ally, Britain, has openly split with those in the administration arguing to ditch the accord. At a news conference in London on Thursday with Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson, Britain’s foreign minister, Boris Johnson, noted that “the North Korea crisis shows the importance of having arrangements such as the J.C.P.O.A.,” using the acronym for the formal name of the agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

He called it “a position you and I have both adopted,” underscoring Mr. Tillerson’s now widely acknowledged disagreement with Mr. Trump over the importance of the deal.

Mr. Johnson added that in Iran, “a country of 80 million people, many of them young, potentially liberal, could be won over — could be won over to a new way of thinking.” He said that Iranians should see the economic benefits of the nuclear deal and that he had emphasized the point to Mr. Tillerson and other American officials.

Mr. Trump’s gradual movement on Iran has been seen as a bellwether of a foreign policy shift underway in the White House, especially since the ouster of Stephen K. Bannon, his former strategist. Mr. Bannon had made confrontation with China and Iran a central element of his approach to reasserting American pre-eminence around the world.

Two of the president’s remaining advisers, Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, his national security adviser, and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, are known for hawkish views on Iran. But they do not bring to the debate a sense that the United States is engaged in a clash of civilizations against the country or its ideology. Instead, they have pressed for a quiet escalation of economic and military pushback against Tehran’s activities, including support for President Bashar al-Assad of Syria and terrorist groups as well as cyberattacks on American and Arab targets.

The Treasury Department did announce new economic sanctions on Thursday against individuals associated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, the Quds Force, which is considered a channel to terrorist groups, and companies involved in hacking against American financial institutions in 2011 and 2012.

In announcing the new sanctions, a senior administration official, who insisted on anonymity while briefing a large group of reporters, said that over the past few years, the United States had focused too narrowly on nuclear issues and ignored Iran’s malign activities. But the administration made no mention of the 2016 indictment of seven Iranians for their involvement in that hacking.

It is unclear whether Mr. Trump can persuade his supporters to forget about promises to scrap the agreement, and to focus anew on extending it. Even advocates of the deal in the Obama administration admit to its shortcomings, including the failure to get Iran to give up all enrichment of uranium. Iran’s nuclear facilities remain open but are operating at very low levels.

Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, tweeted on Thursday that the agreement he reached with his counterpart at the time, Secretary of State John Kerry, was not renegotiable. “A ‘better’ deal is pure fantasy,” he wrote. “About time for U.S. to stop spinning and begin complying, just like Iran.”

Mr. Zarif will be in New York next week for the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, as will Mr. Tillerson. The two men have never met, nor talked, and there are no plans to change that.

Mr. Trump plans to make concerted moves against Iran and North Korea, a centerpiece of his speech to the General Assembly on Tuesday, administration officials say. But it is unclear how specific he will get.

“As they slowly clear their way toward a policy, they clearly believe it is very important that the U.S. push back on the Iranians,” Kenneth M. Pollack, a scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, said of Trump administration officials on Thursday.

But they appear to have concluded that rather than unravel the deal, they need to find ways to renegotiate elements of it, he added.

Mr. Tillerson has argued that it is possible to both retain the existing deal and get allies on board for extending the duration of the restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activities, while negotiating over Iran’s development and testing of ballistic missiles.

But he is clearly walking a fine line. It is possible, White House officials say, that Mr. Trump will stop short of blowing up the accord but still insist on declaring to Congress next month that Iran is violating its terms. Such a move would not affect the future of the agreement itself, while a reimposition of congressional sanctions would have violated its terms.