1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Involved in a wreck, confusing situation.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chopped, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chopped

Chopped Member

Ok so yesterday my father was involved in a collision, he was driving on a street and was hit by a guy pulling out of a shopping center. Obviously the guy pulling out was at fault, but we are still waiting on the police report.

The guy was in a enterprise rental car and the driver claims that the insurance on the car was covered by American Express because they did not enroll in the enterprise car rental insurance. Upon further review and talking with the guy, the car was rented by his employer and he says he himself doesnt have insurance (could be lying), his manager tells us that AMEX should cover everything but upon talking with them, they dont cover liability, just cover the rental car itself. Any idea what to do from here?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

File with your own carrier and let them sort it out with the 3rd party.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So glad I'm hispanic, I just run away when I hit someone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chopped

Chopped Member

I would have liked to see him have tried since the car had to be flatbedded away

5. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

Is that why your name is the
    blurr?

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

On foot son!

Orale!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This, but you do have Uninsured Motorist coverage right? Because, if you don't, then you sue the guy/company/whoever to fix your car and recoup any medical bills. If you have UM, your insurance company will handle that for you.

1 person likes this.
  8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

They may not cover the liability for your vehicle, but your insurance needs to deal with AMEX, Enterprise, and his personal insurance to figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

give police report number to your insurance
    finished

1 person likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Carmelo's hit and run was quite hispanic indeed.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

He doesn't have to have UM for his carrier to cover. He does have to have collision coverage though. Under either, his carrier can pay him for damages and attempt to recover their expense and his (deductible) through subrogation.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, but claims under collision pump your rates in the future, which doesn't happen under UM claims. At least, that's what I tell my customers. And UM claim covers your bodily injury (if there is any).

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Well, I've been able to claim collision to recoup the costs of my car minus deduction before in an accident I wasn't at fault for. As long as my insurance company recouped the costs from the other party's insurance, I wasn't hit with a rate increase. Once they got the money from the other party, I recouped my deduction costs as well.

From your situation, if AMEX is unwilling to cover, try his business since it seems he was on company time. If they aren't willing you will have to claim against him personally which would be the biggest hassle.