1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting poll by Ipsos-Reid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Apr 25, 2006.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Americans Ponder Evangelical, Muslim President

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/11666

(Angus Reid Global Scan) – Many adults in the United States would not see faith as a deterrent for a politician seeking the nation’s highest office, according to poll by Ipsos-Reid released by CanWest Global. 64 per cent of respondents say they would be willing to vote for a presidential candidate who was an Evangelical, and 63 per cent would back a Muslim.

U.S. president George W. Bush—a born-again Christian—has referred to the role religion plays in his life on several occasions. During his acceptance speech at the Republican convention in September 2004, Bush said, "I believe that America is called to lead the cause of freedom in a new century (...) because freedom is not America’s gift to the world, it is the almighty God’s gift to every man and woman in this world."

During his first term, Bush endeavoured to develop faith-based initiatives. The strategy dispenses federal funds to religious and community organizations, which in turn develop assistance programs. The policy has faced criticism for allegedly ignoring the separation between church and state. 52 per cent of respondents say they would vote for an atheist presidential contender.

Polling Data

If a presidential candidate belongs to a political party you like and has many views which you like, would you be willing to vote for such a person if the person is...

An Evangelical
    64%

A Muslim
    63%

An atheist and does not believe in God
    52%

Source: Ipsos-Reid / CanWest Global

Methodology: Telephone interviews with 768 American adults, conducted on Apr. 11 and Apr. 12, 2006. Margin of error is 3.5 per cent.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

*sigh* We've got a lot of work ahead of us...

;)

3. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

another victory for the jihadists?

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

No religious test ehhh...

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As reassuring as this poll is for an Agnosticopalian like me, I'd kind of like to know which faith they asked first, or if they mixed up the order of religions with each survey. I get the feeling if Muslim or Atheist was asked first, they'd get a lot more no's. I could see someone being "guilted" into accepting the other two religions after saying yes to an Evangelical presdient. But then I could also see a "die-hard" saying "yes" to one faith and "hell no" to the other two, so maybe mine is a moot point.