1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injured Yao as the starting center in the All star game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RyanB, Jan 27, 2011.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

NBA fans obviously are stupid for voting a guy that has played 5 games in the last 2 years to the All-Star team.

By your logic for Yao being voted an All-Star, Hakeem, Wilt, <insert great center here> should have won if he were on the list simply because he was an All-NBA candiate at one time.

I'm fairly certain that as of 1/28/11 most NBA fans outside of China would rather watch Bynum (or Gasol, Nene, Okafur, Camby if he weren't hurt or even Chandler) run the court with the likes of Kobe, Carmelo, etc than watch Yao get left behind. Any of those guys are more All-NBA than Yao has been this season. Yao being voted on for playing a substandard 5 games in the last 2 seasons is a joke.

#61 RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think you are wrong. Most NBA fans inside and outside of China would rather watch Griffin!

It's not a joke. It is LOYALTY!

3. RocketsPimp

Griffin (who should be an All-Star) is not a center, so he doesn't fit into this discussion.

The loyalty of fans voting in a guy that has amassed 18 mpg for 5 games in the last 2 seasons because he can't stay healthy is a joke.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How come Yi was not on the ballet if Chinese fans got to vote?

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Really? Fans are clamouring to see nene, okafur and camby (gasol is pf)? They want to see them do what? Rebound and guard the paint? LMAO. Good players, all nba by default but they aren't exactly fan favorites. Such s sad state of NBA Centers when those are the guys that fans want to see in the game.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

People forget that Grant Hill was voted in numerous times while he was injured. This is a popularity contest. When will people realize that?

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because Yi is a joke.

8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

This is a sign of Yao being a good trade value :cool: Others teams might see that as a plus that he's so popular, he gets voted in even though he played ~5 games. ;)

9. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

like someone said, it's possible Yao is the default vote, the protest choice for a lot fans who don't see any legitimate center in the current NBA.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the game is in LA watch Kaman or Bynum get the nod

probably Bynum since Kaman b****ed about being left out last year and got on

11. DreamRoxCoogFan

Gerson Rosas was on the radio yesterday talking about how the Rockets are top 5 value in the NBA and how it has nothing to do with China/Yao. He then went on to say that "if you look at the numbers, we've had steady growth over the past 5-6 years." And how long has Yao been in the league? Exactly. It's understandable that you don't want to give Yao additional leverage in contract negotiations, but don't straight up lie to our faces. Give me a break, we're not stupid.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Have you ever thought about why the nba league didn't remove Yao's name from the list after he was injured? And, why didn't any of those center candidates complain for that?

I think most nba fans know that none of those centers deserve a starter spot. They kept Yao's name in order that Stern can select a deserved player to replace Yao. And, the all-star coach can choose a good PF to replace Yao's center position in the all-star game.

That is what LOYALTY is about!

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think Duncan will replace Yao's starter position since Pop is the WC All-star coach.

14. RocketsPimp

Grant Hill didn't deserve to be voted on in 2000-2001 when was injured and only played 4 games. All other years he was voted on he played at least 67 games.

Just because it's become a popularity contest doesn't lessen the fact that Yao does not deserve to be called an All-Star for 2011.

I'd rather see the best players for 2011 than give a spot to a guy that is perpetually injured and played 92.5 whole minutes this season. Yao hasn't played All-Star calibur basketball since 08-09. Maybe they should call it the NBA Fan Favorite game instead of the All-Star game, then he'd have earned his spot.

#74 RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2011
  15. langal

langal Contributing Member

Why do actual Rocket fans get upset about this?

Are you big Nene or Bynum fans who feel cheated?

Did you hear that is was a popularity contest?

I'm sure a lot of you voted for Hakeem when he was a Raptor.

This is actually a good thing because there are no deserving centers.

Stern can put Blake Griffin on the team now.

16. langal

Well then you should be glad things worked out this way. Unless you feel Andrew Bynum is somehow deserving of being the starting center.

17. langal

Pau Gasol cannot be voted in as a center because he is on the ballot as a forward.

I don't think most NBA fans outside of China could care less about seeing Nene, Okafur, Camby, Bynum, Kaman, etc. playing in the All-Star game. Now Stern can replace Yao with a legitimate "snub".

If Yao got voted over Dwight Howard or something you would have a point.

18. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

I have seen a lot of ASG and I keep on wondering why do we have to choose the better performing players of the season? But during the ASG itself, they DON'T play their best! Its almost like a Harlem Globetrotters game. Clearly, ASG is a star/popularity show. Vox Populi rules.

19. RocketsPimp

Honestly I would be on the fence about Bynum too since he was out the first quarter of the season and is still getting his legs under him. However 11/8/2 in a frontcourt alongside Pau Gasol 24 minutes is nothing to sneeze at.

I stand by my belief that any of those other guys mentioned are more deserving of an All-Star nod than Yao.

Dude....Marc Gasol.

Homerism aside, I don't know why anyone would want to vote Yao on this season. To me it just makes sense to vote someone who has actually played and is having a decent season, like any of the players mentioned. Still my point isn't strictly about caring to see any of those guys. It's about the idiocy of voting someone into the All-Star game that has played 5 out of 46 games for the Rockets this season. It's basically like voting in Greg Oden simply because you like the guy, although he hasn't done anything this year to deserve being called an All-Star.

#79 RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2011