1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injured Astros updates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by body slam, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He was tried at catcher in EST the year he was called up. He has the basic skill set to catch (good glove/arm). Just like every other position, his lack of mobility and quickness limits him. But he is the emergency option by default because he’s the only other guy on the roster that has ever spent any time whatsoever at catcher. Once Diaz gets back he would probably be the emergency catcher.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White is also an emergency pitcher ;)

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is always a chance bad teams do stupid things. The truly awful teams should not let guys like White or Kemp go through as those guys are worth trying out.

Nook likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I agree the tools are there, and with the shifting it isn't as different as it used to be.

Still would be surprised if they went with a roster with only one 2B, and one that just came back from a fairly lengthy injury

5. The Beard

Don't disagree with any of this

But...if Kemp were moved out it's not as easy as saying if Altuve needs a break just put Bregman or Gurriel at 2B, cause right now the only other SS is Straw, and moving Gurriel off of 3B to play 2B leaves you with White at 3B and no one who has played 1B, playing 1B

I don't think Kemp is on the team when we are back to full health, but as little flexibility as we have right now, I certainly don't see them moving Kemp off the roster and becoming less flexible.

Don't know who it would be, but this would be a great time to move a guy like Fisher along with White/Kemp for a middle of the road type of utility guy

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You want to trade a middle of the road utility guy (plus a prospect) for a middle of the road utility guy? They're going to have to make room but it won't be for another bat like that, IMO...unless they can get a guy with options that can just be sent to AAA.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

1B White/Yuli
    2B Altuve/Bregman/Yuli/Straw
    SS Bregman/Straw
    3B Yuli/Bregman/White

2B is easily the most replaceable infield position. If we move White, it's literally just Yuli who has actually played 1B.

The current oufield clusterf**k will have to be addressed when healthy.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um Kemp has been excellent at 2B. White has NO UPSIDE as a hitter. The sample size is big enough.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL every word of that is wrong, well done.

Kemp has a negative uzr/150 at 2B in the majors. Not making errors does not by itself constitute an “excellent” defender.

White posted a 127 wRC+ in 2017 and 144 last season. In 2017 he hit 27 HR in 133 games across AAA and MLB. He has a higher career wRC+ than Gurriel, Reddick, and Chirinos. Is Justin Smoak good? Tyler White has a higher career wRC+ than him.

10. Buck Turgidson

Physically, yes. Skill-wise, not without repetitions.

It's a testament to Straw that he's transitioned this quickly to an acceptable level of SS, and that took him several months of work, throwing another new position at him with zero preparation is a very bad idea

The Beard likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

I think McTaggart actually said that he is the emergency catcher in one of his tweets.

Reddick was also once photographed wearing catcher's gear in the dugout, though he may have just been playing around.

12. HTown2017Champs

Kemp may not be ELITE at 2B, but he's shown that he's more than serviceable. No errors, can make diving plays, and turn double plays. You can't have a gold glover at every position, but Kemp is good enough to be on an MLB roster. I think we could get at least a minor league lottery ticket for him, or he can be a decent throw-in in a larger trade package.

13. Buck Turgidson

White has been the emergency catcher for the past couple of years. Also pitcher/SS/3B/2B....I mean "emergency".

You are correct, Reddick put on the tools once. Only once that I know of.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Huge jump from “serviceable” to “excellent”.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, who gives a **** who the emergency 2b is? If it gets down to it send literally anyone out there to stand between first and second and call up Mayfield as soon as the games over. It’s not that important what happens in any one game. Let’s not overthink this.

16. Buck Turgidson

As long as you have one other guy who can play that position well...you're golden. SS with Straw is the only real worry, to me at least, but they seem to be ok with him there once a week.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. The Beard

I don’t consider a guy who can play lf and 2b only a utility guy, so maybe it’s a difference In terminology. We could badly use a true utility player now to make it much easier to put our best possible roster together

And it’s not really an issue that is almost over cause it doesn’t seem like Carlos or Diaz are particularly close

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DRS/150 grades Kemp as an excellent defender at 2B. Being overly sure he's excellent is wrong. Being overly sure he's merely serviceable is wrong. We have a small sample. Just not enough data to suggest any thing except he's likely serviceable, excellent, or somewhere in between. I think we have enough data to say he's not absolutely horrible there.

I will say his ability to track balls over the infield has been excellent when I've watched (being in OF has likely helped here), while his flip to second for double plays has not. Considering how 2B is played far back, it should play well with Kemp's abilities as within his arm limitations and minimizes need for quick, correct first step.

19. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

White was listed as a catcher in the Instructs (2015) before making the team in 2016. The idea was to convert him, and it was abandoned

HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right..I believe Marwin had been the emergency guy but I can't find any articles about it. I seem to remember seeing him gear up in the last two years, but it didn't become necessary. Then again, I can't remember if I put on deodorant five minuets after doing do.

Hemo_jr likes this.