1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation hits again........Chronicle at 75 cents

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by T Rex, Jun 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Bought a paper this morning and thought the cashier was ringing it up wrong. Anyone know how long this has been in effect?

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It was fifty on Friday. I didn't know about the raise, so I only had fifty to drop in the little box at the store. I feel shame.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Maybe since everyone reads news online now, they have to raise the price to justify putting out a print version.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

www.chron.com, anyone? :D

As crappy as the site is, I still hit it every now and then, and the last time I bought a palpable copy was from this short black man on Park Row & Barker Cypress just to see the FRY's flyer on my bus ride. I gave him an entire dollar for it, 'cuz I know he never sells any. :eek: For real? It's 75¢?!?!?!?

Goodbye, guy who sold me paper... :(

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I found this a couple of weeks ago. The Fry's ad can be seen online here.

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I haven't bought a paper in over a decade.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I don't read the paper much at all, but I still have it delivered.. Our tradition of waking up on Sunday morning reading the paper over breakfast and planning the rest of our day is a great one that I'll forever have the paper delivered for..

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Hopefully, for your sake, you're on the schedule that pays $1 per week and only gets the paper on Sunday.

Pugs

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

you use more smilies than 11 yr old girls :D :eek: :p :rolleyes:

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes, but I didn't have that type of access on my bus ride into town. :D

I also found The San Jose Mercury News has the flyers.

Royals... I have two little girls (one close to 11 years old)... neither one is using at least 1 smiley. Should I be concerned that they're not using them...? Maybe talk to a psychologist who can make them use the smileys? :eek:

:p Thank you for your concern, freaker... at least you know I'm not upset/serious/sad/angry from those smileys... it helps, no?

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The excessive use of smileys (smilius maximus) may have a post-pubescent onset, or it may be directly related to internet usage.. I wouldn't be too concerned until your (beautiful) girls hit puberty, or their internet usage goes through the roof. :D

13. rz04

rz04 Member

Like other posters have said I only read the chron from their website, save trees :)

just curious T Rex what was the story from your ban?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=3629107#post3629107

14. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Well, at least Chron.com is one of the best newspaper websites in the country.

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/06/the-newspapers.html

The Newspapers: Rating The Top 25 Newspaper Websites

Because online versions of major newspapers are certainly the key to future revenue growth and profits, 24/7 Wall St. looked at the websites of the top 25 newspapers in the US based on their circulations as of March 31, 2008 taken from the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

The sites got ratings of “A” through “F” based on: 1) strength of content, 2) ease of use and navigation, 3) use of new web technology including comments sections, message boards, and multimedia, 4) lay-out 5) presence of a strong set of current advertisers, and 6) the size of their audiences based on measurements from the Compete website visitor database for April.

The Houston Chronicle (Average daily paid circulation 494,131) (Compete online audience: 1,609,496) The online version of the Houston Chronicle is called Chron.com, which is clever because it makes the site address easy to remember. Right up front, the editors put the navigation for Chron.com at the top of the page. Getting where the reader wants to go is never an issue. The lay-out could be a bit more elegant and less "cut and paste". One of the site's strengths is that it puts the reader's involvement in the spotlight with blogs, photos, and stories, with access to these features coming from the middle of the homepage. Headlines for major stories also run on the homepage so that the reader can move into the site not just by section (e.g. business, community news, metro), but by major feature. Too many of the lead stories at the top of the main page come from the AP. Many newspaper sites put AP stories in a separate box so that local reporting gets special treatment giving the reader and the reporter a sense that this is a local paper, not a collection of newswire headlines. Columns and blogs run next to the news stories. This engages the reader and keeps him on the website longer. Chron.com is weak on interactive and multimedia features, which is too bad because the written content is so strong and the site is well-designed. Grade: B+

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Best part about chron dot com is the BIZARRE posts from the readers. They can turn a story about a lost puppy into a knock-down drag-out pro-Bush vs. anti-Bush argument.

Seriously, there are some real whack-jobs posting on that site. Even more than THIS site. :D

16. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Ya I always laugh when I read some horrific story about a family dying in a car crash that illogically turns into a illegal immigration debate in the comment section.