1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Increased Spam Calls?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jul 19, 2018.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've been using t-mobile app that's free to block spam (pretty sure it's name id) ... Seems to work decently. It took my spam calls from several a day down to maybe 0-1 a day. So much better.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, that's awful, so is it 1 bot and then the rest are all strangers?

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've tried every app out there and none of them work for these spoofed numbers that call. Blocking them doesn't work either, since it's a different number every time.

I recently read that the best thing to do is to answer the call but don't say anything until it disconnects. The robo-caller bot will (supposedly) interpret that as a bad number and take it off the list.

I've actually been doing this for the last month or so and I have noticed that I've gone down from 5 or 6 a day to only 1 or 2 per day. So maybe it's slowly but surely working.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If you have T-Mobile, dial #662# and it will automatically block all Spam Likely calls. It's great. :)

CCity Zero and ramotadab like this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yes. :( It's awful. I'm not sure what they hope to phish from group texts so I hope it doesn't become their MO.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i actually got a couple of legit calls when caller id said "Scam likely", go figure...

CCity Zero and ramotadab like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Damn that's insane, so I think you can block each number and then you shouldn't get any more, but that's bullshit that they're doing that now.... Hopefully it's a one time thing ...

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I've had t-mobile block a few legit contacts, this whole thing is a mess...

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've heard of this... Haven't tried it, but as long as you don't say anything, can't get any worse, hahah, I mean if this works though that'd be awesome

BamBam likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I hate you and I hope you die.

--Dave Robichoux

11. cebu

cebu Member

same here but i'm trying to get some fun out of it. i'd ask them stupid questions or nasty question like after getting connected to a real female person.. "hey do you swallow?"... if a guy, "are you gay?".

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The number spoofing is going to kill me.

13. ima_drummer2k

Still doing this and now I'm only getting a few calls per week. Try it!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just wait 'til all those business targeting mutes get wind of this though.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thanks Will have to try. I’m up to 6-10 per day easily.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just yesterday (and day before) started getting calls in spurts from an international number (seemed to have stopped) and, wouldn't you know it, I find an article on CNN talking about specific regions in the US being targeted. The article said the scam is...if you call the number back thinking you missed a legit call, then you somehow get charged with long distance fees or along those lines.

gatsby likes this.
  17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You needed CNN to tell you if you call an international number back you get charged for it ? Are people really that dumb ?

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was simply pointing out the activity on my phone resembled the contents of what the article described. As far as costs for international calls, obviously there are some. The scam is apparently some of that money goes to the caller of the number you try to call back and other fees. I’m not exactly clear how the scam works because I would never return a call like that. I guess there are people falling for it, though, or it wouldn’t be news.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/07/us/fcc-robocall-scheme-scam-warning-trnd/index.html?r=https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I've seen the type of person that calls back every number that calls their phone. They are probably the ones that get got by these scams.

20. ima_drummer2k

I got one last week and the return number was +222 31356508. It said it was coming from Mauritania.

Should I call it back? It might be important.

mikol13 likes this.